Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it possible to be on job seekers allowance whilst on summer holiday watch

ReputationRep:
    Is it legal for someone on there summer holiday to go on jobseeker's allowance? I don't think it counts for a school holiday, because you are still technically in full time education, but what about between school and university? Or university holidays?

ReputationRep:
    Get a job like everyone else has to do. I was working for £14 for 5 hours labour when I was 13 to make any money I could. It's there if you look hard enough for it.

ReputationRep:
    £14 for 5 hours? Mug. I'd rather have nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by airoutmyshorts)
    Get a job like everyone else has to do. I was working for £14 for 5 hours labour when I was 13 to make any money I could. It's there if you look hard enough for it.
    I was mainly asking out of interest, because a friend did it - I was surprised that he was able to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AP123)
    £14 for 5 hours? Mug. I'd rather have nothing.
    When you're 13, received no pocket money, and paid for your extravagances yourself, it's better than nothing. Prat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HexagonalBolts)
    Is it legal for someone on there summer holiday to go on jobseeker's allowance? I don't think it counts for a school holiday, because you are still technically in full time education, but what about between school and university? Or university holidays?
    Yes you can between 6th form/college to University holidays, just say you have a conditional offer for University and so your place is not yet guaranteed. I'm on it now.

I don't think you can between University holidays.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure how legal it is. Plenty of people on this site will have a hissy fit for suggesting it. I do know quite a few people do it, and haven't had any bother so its possible since university place is not guaranteed your less likely to get into trouble/allowed?

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure it is legal (although like someone else said it is illegal if you are already a uni student and on holidays.

If he has lied about his situation or isn't actually bothering to look for work then it is illegal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandeep90)
    Yes you can between 6th form/college to University holidays, just say you have a conditional offer for University and so your place is not yet guaranteed. I'm on it now.

I don't think you can between University holidays.
    Even if you're living with your parents, regardless of their income?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HexagonalBolts)
    Even if you're living with your parents, regardless of their income?
    Yep, they didn't ask me for my parents' income, just how much I had in my bank and savings from anything else. The thing is I'd much rather have a full time job right now because £100 a week is not enough especially when you're saving for Uni.

ReputationRep:
    either just get a job or yes it is possible providing you are still at least looking for (or 'seeking') a job

ReputationRep:
    Yep, they didn't ask me for my parents' income, just how much I had in my bank and savings from anything else. The thing is I'd much rather have a full time job right now because £100 a week is not enough especially when you're saving for Uni.
    Wow, you get £100? I thought it was more like £50? Did you tell them you'd applied to university? If my parents don't give me much money then I'm screwed - chances are I won't get in anyway, then I can just get a job for a year... or a years worth of jobseekers allowance hahah

ReputationRep:

With all due respect, JSA is not intended to be a way of saving for university.

However, I do sympathise with the job issue. It took me a month to find one, and trust me i was outb 10 hours a day trying to find one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sulpicia)

However, I do sympathise with the job issue. It took me a month to find one, and trust me i was outb 10 hours a day trying to find one.

he did say hed rather have a job you know. JSA is a better way to save for uni than no job or JSA.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You can't get it during university holidays because even though you are inbetween years, you are still classed as a full-time student.

ReputationRep:
    no rest for the unemployed

ReputationRep:
    My teacher at my school said she did it for the summer before uni but i think they changed it now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sulpicia)

Yeah, I know it wasn't intended for saving for Uni but tbh I have no other choice. I told the interviewer that I was saving it for Uni and she said ''well at least you have a life plan'' lol.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it is legal in between finishing sixth-form or college, and starting university. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...rk/DG_10018757

If you have no part-time income, and savings less than £6000, you may be entitled to up to £50.95 a week.

You cannot claim in the university holidays.

ReputationRep:
    I've just applied this afternoon, didn't take long and as I had a job and have paid tax and will after university plan to get the most out of it.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.