Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is it possible to be on job seekers allowance whilst on summer holiday watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    is it worth going for it now? less than 2 months till Uni, don't know if it makes sense to 'seek' a job when you're staying at home for 2 months lol???! would look a bit stupid no?

ReputationRep:
    i doubt it - im sure the government would have covered this loophole up. Ive never heard of anyone doing - but that could just be on moral grounds maybe - but i doubt you can

ReputationRep:
    I called and asked between school and uni, I was told that my parents would have to forego the child benefit they were still receiving for me. Apparently they are being a lot stricter with it now?

ReputationRep:
    out of interest, I've read people saying you canot claim during Uni 'holidays' ... can you claim during the University term(s)? Or is it the same as the holidays?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FM08)
    out of interest, I've read people saying you canot claim during Uni 'holidays' ... can you claim during the University term(s)? Or is it the same as the holidays?
    You can't claim JSA at any point during your university course - from when you first enrol until you graduate (or otherwise leave your course).

ReputationRep:
    **** why is that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FM08)
    **** why is that?
    Because you're supposed to be a full-time student, and your loan is there to make up for the finance that a full-time job would offer.

ReputationRep:
    so you absolutely 100% cannot get it during uni at all ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FM08)
    so you absolutely 100% cannot get it during uni at all ?
    I'm afraid so:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...rk/DG_10018757
    To get Jobseeker's Allowance you must be:

* available for and actively seeking work
    * between 18 and State Pension age
    * working less than 16 hours per week on average
    As a university student, you fail the first condition - by definition, you can't be available for full-time work.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see full time though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FM08)
    I don't see full time though
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...me/DG_10034876
    Full-time students

Although most full-time higher education students are not entitled to income-related benefits, certain groups may be able to make a claim.

The full rules are listed in the Income Support and Housing Benefit regulations. But as a general guide, you may be able to claim income-related benefits if you:

* are a lone parent
    * have a partner who is also a student - and one or both of you are responsible for a child
    * have a disability, and qualify for the disability premium or severe disability premium
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    You can get it between school and university, if you either lie or tell them that you have a conditional place, you can also get on it between undergrad and postgrad, although when you do the math it's better having a job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestie)
    You can get it between school and university, if you either lie or tell them that you have a conditional place, you can also get on it between undergrad and postgrad, although when you do the math it's better having a job.
    There's no need to lie - claiming JSA between finishing school and starting at university is allowed, if you are actively seeking work.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    There's no need to lie - claiming JSA between finishing school and starting at university is allowed, if you are actively seeking work.
    There is if you have an unconditional place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FM08)
    is it worth going for it now? less than 2 months till Uni, don't know if it makes sense to 'seek' a job when you're staying at home for 2 months lol???! would look a bit stupid no?
    I'm not sure if you can if you have an unconditional uni offer
    But I'm on it between school and potentially going to uni, but my parent's child benefit has been stopped. AS JSA> child benefit its a good move

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noodles!)
    I called and asked between school and uni, I was told that my parents would have to forego the child benefit they were still receiving for me. Apparently they are being a lot stricter with it now?
    yeah but JSA is more than child benefit...

You could've paid them the money they would've got in child benefit, and made a bit of money yourself, while looking for a job ofc

:confused:

ReputationRep:
    tbf its a pretty stupid idea as if the government departments have any method of communication you may well be convicted of fraud

not really worth it for £50 a week

ReputationRep:
    Do you have a source for this? If so, please go ahead and post it - I'm happy to be proved wrong.

However, I can see no reason why having an offer of a place - unconditional or otherwise - would affect your entitlement to JSA. Yes, you may intend to become a student, but before you start your course, you are not yet in full-time education. Only once you actually take up that place will you be a student. By your logic, a person taking a gap year before starting at university could be severely disadvantaged if they hold an offer compared to someone who applies late, which is not a scenario that I can believe would be allowed to continue for long without correction through amendments to the rules.

Further, if you're open about your intention to begin a university course when you are interviewed at the Job Centre, then you won't be placing yourself at risk of any fraud charge related to that, as you'll have given a true account of your circumstances. At worst, if you were found to have been overpaid any benefits (which is unlikely, and would then be due to the authorities' error) then they might seek repayment from you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandeep90)
    Yep, they didn't ask me for my parents' income, just how much I had in my bank and savings from anything else. The thing is I'd much rather have a full time job right now because £100 a week is not enough especially when you're saving for Uni.
    How come you get £100?
    JSA is £50.95 a week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Souliecat)
    How come you get £100?
    JSA is £50.95 a week.
    Sorry I meant £100 every 2 weeks lol.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.