Imperial vs. Birkbeck vs. Cass vs. Warwick vs. French University Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello Forum,

Got accepted to the following programmes:

Imperial College - MSc Risk Management and Financial Engineering
    Birkbeck - MSc Financial Engineering
    Cass - MSc Quantitative Finance
    Warwick - MSc Finance and MSc Finance and Economics
    Univerité Paris Dauphine - Master 272 (Financial Engineering and Risk Management)

I am really undecided: The Birkbeck programme seems to be the most quantitative one and has the benefit of courses taking place in the evening (so that you can do an internship during the day).

Imperial/Warwick seem to have better reputation but the programmes are less quantitative, so I wonder if their reputation applies to these programmes as well.

Cass is probable somewhere in-between, so maybe a good compromise?

Dauphine: has a pretty good reputation in France, but apparently not in UK/overseas. On the other hand, there are no fees for this programme which is a big advantage compared to Imperial for example. I am really unsure if the (at least 15000 are worth going to a UK university). Besides, reading through the forum, I get the impression that almost everybody holds offers from Imperial/LSE etc. So, is it really something special, a real advantage? I mean, 15000-25000 would be justified if only very few people got into programmes like this and job interviews were guaranteed.

My backround: I want to become a trader or quant but I do not have any relevant internships yet. I would prefer to work in the US later. Of course, I want a well paid position. Any thoughts?

Is there anybody who is in one of the mentioned programmes?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Salut

ReputationRep:
    If I have to rank them (minus the Paris program since I'm not familiar with it) i'd rank them this way:

Warwick - MSc Finance and MSc Finance and Economics
    Imperial College - MSc Risk Management and Financial Engineering
    Cass - MSc Quantitative Finance
    Birkbeck - MSc Financial Engineering

ReputationRep:
    Why would you rank Warwick higher than Imperial? It is less quantitative, I think. Isn't the general rule: "The more math, the better"? Personally, I like the Warwick programmes the least, contentwise, but apparently they have the best rep. Do you think I would have a chance to get interviews with an unknown frensh programme in the UK/US?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PorteDauphine)
    Isn't the general rule: "The more math, the better"?
    Illigan's general rule is somewhat different: "The more Warwick, the better"

ReputationRep:
    if anyone here can tell me that Warwick's finance is less quantitative please tell how.

ReputationRep:
    Well, Warwick is probably better for UK. But what if I want to work in the US later -->Imperial, right?

ReputationRep:
    nobody?

ReputationRep:
    Given that you want to become a trader/quant, you would want a very quantitative program. But you want to work in the US so you need a university with a good brand name. Bearing these two in mind, I would think Imperial would be your best bet.

How come you didn't apply to Warwick's financial maths program though? It's probably the most quantitative financial maths program in the UK and has an excellent reputation.

By the way I'm french

ReputationRep:
    Hi ,
    I have a conditional offer from cass for the part time Msc finance and investment course. I have 4 yrs work exp in IT and looking to change my field and get into Fin. How would you rate this cass course in terms of job prospects, career and ofcourse the returns. Please help me guys , have only 1 week to confirm.
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flugestuge)
    Imperial > Univerité Paris Dauphine > Cass > Warwick > Birkbeck
    And this ranking is based on what exactly?

ReputationRep:
    To be fair WBS is probably unheard of in the vast majority of the US, Imperial will be more famous.

It it hard to advertise yourself with a Warwick degree in the US when you are up again so many way better schools such as Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, Tuck, Sloan, Booth, e.t.c.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krush)
    And this ranking is based on what exactly?
    Imperial > Univerité Paris Dauphine > Cass > Warwick > Birkbeck

The last three are unknown in the US.
    The first two might be known by an Anglophile and a Francophile, respectively.
    I really cannot imagine anyone outside the UK knowing of the last three.

ReputationRep:
    Hi ,
    I have a conditional offer from cass for the part time Msc finance and investment course. I have 4 yrs work exp in IT and looking to change my field and get into Fin. How would you rate this cass course in terms of job prospects, career and ofcourse the returns. Please help me guys , have only 1 week to confirm.
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kuyu)
    Hi ,
    thanks
    Start a new thread if you have a different query to the OP that needs addressing

ReputationRep:
    thanx for ur advice but it still doesnt answer my query, will appreciate if you can help me with that rather than advising about going to diff thread fellow!

ReputationRep:
    Warwick unheard of in US? thats a simple " lie"

Can you guys explain why Wharton would have undergraduate partnerships with Warwick in the first place?
    Warwick is a member of both PEM and GMAC.

How many of you have heard about AACSB?

Howard Thomas, Dean of Warwick Business School, began his term July 1, 2009 as chairman of the board of directors of AACSB International.The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB)is the world’s most prestigious accrediting body for business schools and largest advocacy association for management education..

>>>>>>> And people here say Warwick is unheard of in USA!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AfghanistanBananistan)
    To be fair WBS is probably unheard of in the vast majority of the US, Imperial will be more famous.

It it hard to advertise yourself with a Warwick degree in the US when you are up again so many way better schools such as Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, Tuck, Sloan, Booth, e.t.c.
    never heard of Tuck, Sloan or Booth. What makes you think they are way better? Anyway, I really get the impression that almost everybody who wants to get into finance here holds an offer from at least one of these schools (Imperial, LSE, Warwick etc.). This leads me to the conclusion that it's not such an exclusive thing to study there, am I right? Exclusiveness, is an important factor (what else do I pay 20K for? - the lectures? No no, I could read all this in books. I think I will stick with Dauphine. I don't see why I should pay a sh*t load of money for something that does not really have an advantage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PorteDauphine)
    never heard of Tuck, Sloan or Booth. What makes you think they are way better? Anyway, I really get the impression that almost everybody who wants to get into finance here holds an offer from at least one of these schools (Imperial, LSE, Warwick etc.). This leads me to the conclusion that it's not such an exclusive thing to study there, am I right? Exclusiveness, is an important factor (what else do I pay 20K for? - the lectures? No no, I could read all this in books. I think I will stick with Dauphine. I don't see why I should pay a sh*t load of money for something that does not really have an advantage.
    Shows how much you know. Tuck is at Dartmouth, Sloan at MIT and Booth at Chicago. Just look at any ranking and they are all in the top 10 worldwide for any business related program, just like the universities they are attached to are more famous world wide (esp more than Warwick). Tuck was the first ever business school and Booth has most other firsts (ie MBA and other stuff, as well as rated the best by US employers). I dont go to either yet know that.

I also dont get what you are on about in the remaining part of your post. Are u saying that WBS and Imperial are not exclusive or that the US ones are? It is just that you seem to be arguing with me but what i have been saying is that the UK schools are not selective compared to the US and are not worth the money because in the global world of MBA's (where most students in the UK are foreign so will work abroad), these UK schools are not that prestigious. Afterall, in the business world prestige is what matters to employers.

To add a qualifier i got into Imperial and WBS for postgrad business and turned them down for the reasons mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AfghanistanBananistan)
    Wrong. Neither institution is well-known in the US. But I've met many Warwick undergrad who have been accepted to some top schools in the US for postgrad. For example, I've seen a Warwick grad listed on Caltech's PhD Physics database. He's one of only 4 grads from a UK uni who has made it to Caltech's PhD Physics. No one has been admitted from Imperial. The other guys were from Oxford, Cambridge and UCL.

A friend of mine is now on his 2nd and final year at Harvard Business School. He has access to their alumni database that have records starting from 1930. I asked him to check the number of graduates from UK unis that have made it - more specifically enrolled - in HBS, and here are the numbers:

Oxford - 134
    Cambridge - 121
    Warwick - 78
    LSE - 54
    UCL - 46
    Imperial - 21

Aside from that, there were 2 Warwick guys who have just graduated from a PhD Chem program at Berkeley and another Warwick guy who just graduated from Stanford with PhD in Chemistry. These are tough schools to get into for PhDs. On the otehr hand, no one has graduated from either schools with an Imperial undergrad degree.

Correct. But with the exception of LBS, there's no other UK uni that can lay claim to be in competition with any of the schools you've mentioned. Not even Oxford-Said.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ILIGAN)
    A friend of mine is now on his 2nd and final year at Harvard Business School. He has access to their alumni database that have records starting from 1930. I asked him to check the number of graduates from UK unis that have made it - more specifically enrolled - in HBS, and here are the numbers:

Oxford - 134
    Cambridge - 121
    Warwick - 78
    LSE - 54
    UCL - 46
    Imperial - 21
    In this case wouldn't it have made more sense to look at the records from 1968 onwards?:confused:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.