Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much money will/do your parents give you for university? Watch

ReputationRep:
    This is just out of interest and to see what is 'normal' (or if there is a 'normal' at all)

Include other information if you think it will help people understand better (e.g. 'they don't give me as much as they would because I have a large inheritance from my grandparents' or 'I go to a London university where prices are more expensive so they give me more').

There's absolutely no need to be snobbish, to compete, or to criticise those who are given more. Nor is this the place to get on a moral high horse and complain about people who are helped by their parents to get through university if you're not.

My parent's friends give their daughter £75 a week, my parents have no idea what a 'normal' amount is, so they're considering doing this.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing, my mum has no money.

ReputationRep:
    My Dad is paying for my accommodation as I get no loan, and without that wouldn't be able to go to uni (I'm eligible for a loan but not for foundation year).

ReputationRep:
    I have literally no idea. Could be anywhere for £1 to £100.

ReputationRep:
    about £100 a month i think she said. Maybe not every month just some. my dad doesnt live with me and i asked him for some money every so often but not sure how much i will get from him

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know - £0.00

ReputationRep:
    My dads giving me £100 a week I think

ReputationRep:
    My parents pay for tuition fees which will be awesome in 2 years time when I graduate but not really seeing the benefit of it yet, apart from that nothing but I have a job so I am pretty happy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandeep90)
    I have literally no idea. Could be anywhere for £1 to £100.
    It's alright, you've got job seekers init. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to get none, my parents spend all their money living their life :roll eyes: and as far as they're concerned after college I'm old enough to go it alone.

ReputationRep:
    this topics been made loads..

my parents will probs give me whatever whenever they can theyre not like loaded. i think ill be ok on the loans and grants and overdraft and part time job.. might not even have to go into overdraft but i probably will cuz i like money x
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Zilch; my stepdad's unemployed and my mum earns £3k/year so they can't really afford it, and no other family members are chipping in.

ReputationRep:
    They paid my accomm deposit and will pay for kitchen and room stuff (along with my nan) and also my first lot of shoppin which should last me a while but after that I'm on my own unless I get really short on money for food.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AP123)
    It's alright, you've got job seekers init. :cool:
    Exactly, but that's not going to get me far lol.

Aha! So you're the person who neg repped me lol.

Nothing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dubstepper)
    this topics been made loads..

my parents will probs give me whatever whenever they can theyre not like loaded. i think ill be ok on the loans and grants and overdraft and part time job.. might not even have to go into overdraft but i probably will cuz i like money x
    Do you like paying it back?

ReputationRep:

Lol you got negged? That's TSR for you. Wasn't me btw.

ReputationRep:

hahahah, that's hilarious

ReputationRep:
    This is how we've planned it, although plans change and I'm hoping to cut it down or pay them back by working.
    First year: 3k (tuition fees)
    Second year: 1-2k (towards tuition fees)
    Third year: Nothing (I pay tuition fees)

My parents are slightly unusual... in that they somehow got through university without any debt at all in the land of yeateryear, Rhodesia, and think this is normal. They were horrified when I first talked about student loans, they didn't understand at all - they forbade it even! After explaining the system to them several times they finally understood and agreed to allow me to get a student loan, because university is impossible for me otherwise. But I'm not getting a tuition fee loan, only maximum maintainance loan and grants. So things might be a little tricky, but I've worked it all out.

ReputationRep:
    I rarely get anything. They gave me a little bit at the start of last year to see me through until my loan came through, and then its just the occasional tenner every now and again.

They always say just to ask them if im short of money, but i dont. I dont like to because i know they dont really have the money to give me as such.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.