Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much money will/do your parents give you for university? Watch

£30/week and they pay the mortgage/bills for the flat I share with my cousin. Can't really ask for more than that really - I add about £50/week through summer savings and a maintenance loan from SAAS gives me about £90/month. All in all about £100/week for EVERYTHING I need except accommadation. Far too lucky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AP123)
    Do you like paying it back?

ive never been in my overdraft. i dont think i will go into my overdraft too much tho cuz im used to living by a budget and saving!! overdraft will there just as a safety net! :P X
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I don't get anything.

The only exception is if they give my sister anything, I get that (for instance, when she went on hols last month she was given £50, so I got that as well), as everything is equal, but that happens very rarely (she has a job and EMA, and is expected to live off that, as I am expected to live off student loans and my job).

Mom works with someone who gives her son loads, but he just wastes it on booze, then comes running to mummy when he starves! (I'm not saying everyone does this!)

After all, I'm an Accountancy student. If I can't manage my money I don't see myself doing very well in my chosen profession!

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting a one off £100 at the start of the year to see me through loan's sorted but after that nowt.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing probably, they might give me some if I get stuck but I would prefer to try and be independent.

ReputationRep:
    £50 a week I think. Can't get a loan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleshambles)
    Nothing, my mum has no money.
    What the rather cool lady said.

ReputationRep:
    Well they'll pay for accommodation and then I'll get somewhere between £50-100 a week for everything else, I think. Hope so anyway.

ReputationRep:
    My dad said he'd make up the difference between having standard accommodation and superior standard which is like 300 quid. He's regretting it now. I think if i get desperate he'll give me the odd tenner but that's it.

ReputationRep:
    £0.

ReputationRep:
    Not much really, my mum I haven't seen sicne my birthday and the was the first time this year, so not expecting anything off her.

My Dad normally buys me stuff I need (bed stuff, kitchen things, bathrooms stuff, food every now and then) and sends me £10 here and there if I'm really stuck.

Over Christmas my nana and dad go crazy and buy me like 4 months worth of food :-D which is nice.

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea yet.

ReputationRep:
    Parents paid for my accommodation last year. And this year are giving me £400 a month to cover my accommodation and bills, and anything else with what is left over. I'm quite lucky really, but I do only get the minimum loan, so I wouldn't be able to afford to live without the help from my parents.

ReputationRep:
    I cant get a tuition fee loan this year so my mum has given me that, she wanted to pay my rent too but i told her not to. She couldnt afford to give me much for my first degree though, infact i used most of my loans and placement year wages paying for stuff for the house and bills etc.

She'll probably also buy me a kitchen full of food when i move, and if i get stuck for money then she will find some from somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Biggles)
    £30/week and they pay the mortgage/bills for the flat I share with my cousin. Can't really ask for more than that really - I add about £50/week through summer savings and a maintenance loan from SAAS gives me about £90/month. All in all about £100/week for EVERYTHING I need except accommadation. Far too lucky.
    What's the normal amount people live off? I was told me a 3rd year in Manchester that about £60 was enough, but I was then told by two friends at non-London universities that she was mad and you needed more like £90 a week

ReputationRep:
    The Norwegian state gives me £12000 to cover tuition fees, and my dad will give me £4000 for accommodation. I will also take up a loan of £4000 to cover the rest of my accommodation fees and for other things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleshambles)
    Nothing, my mum has no money.
    This.

Even when I got to uni in like four years time , it will still be nothing. I'll have to work for my money :yep:

ReputationRep:
    nada. zilch.nothing. and this was after saying they would, AND paying in part for my brother. doesnt matter as it just means more independancy for me

ReputationRep:
    i am indian.. so my parents pay for all my education .. so i dont hve to worry about the fees for the 4 years of study in uni....:woo:

ReputationRep:
    Nothing =/ gonna have to find a part time

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.