Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

How much money will/do your parents give you for university? watch

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    thery dont really gve me any money during term time as my whacking 11k loan/bursaries/grants etc pays my way through
    hwoever since i live in london and not in halls, they help pay my rent and deposits for my house when moving an stuff. i :love: them
    i'm surprised i dont need their help during term time. i have no job and ive still never gone into my overdraft.

ReputationRep:
    My parents have said that they will pay for my 2nd and third years if i can pay for the whole of my first year. I have about 4 grand saved so i hope i will. (I have to pay them back when i get a job if anyone thinks im getting away with it lol)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maximum Velocity)

I'll have to work for my money
    If your parents have no money, you'll probably get the maximum loans/grants etc.

ReputationRep:
    £0.00

ReputationRep:
    uhhhhhhhhh I dont know. I think they will pay for fees + accom and throw in some money for food. ie. they dont want me to get a job. How much that will all add up to though only god knows.

ReputationRep:
    Money..... SFA. - They don't have any

ReputationRep:
    £0, but if I was in need of money for say a new computer if mine broke, I know she'd do anything she could to find the money. I'd rather save her the worrying though and just dip into my overdraft.

ReputationRep:
    My parents give me about £70 a week for food/bills/going out etc.

I apparently have a large savings account which will pay for most of my accommodation and tuition fees. But who knows.

ReputationRep:
    At my uni i think some people get 3k mainetnance grant, and 3k bursary from uni, on top of the 5k maintenance loand and tuition loan. My parenst give me money to live off, but i get about 3.5k less than these people. unfair...

ReputationRep:
    My Dad wants to give me £1000 per term (£125 per week), but I'm a really independent person and I dont think I'll need any more than ~£50/week anyway

Anything I dont spend I'm going to save up, and then buy my parents a holiday or something with the leftovers

ReputationRep:
    My parents pay my rent and I pay for everything else with my part time job. It's this way because according to SAAS my parents earn too much to give me a loan.

ReputationRep:
    parents give me £50 a week but my accomodation comes out of my maintenance loan. Friend at uni got £200 a month and her parents paid for the accomodation as well. Another friend gets £260 a month and her dad pays for accomodation and tuition fees. It totally depends what can be afforded. The two friends are only children, I am not

ReputationRep:
    My parents are going to pay for fees and accommodation, and they ~said~ they'd give me food money too, so I'm crossing my fingers!

ReputationRep:
    Nothing, and they don't pay halls either...

I knew they would if they could though

ReputationRep:
    Everything. I guess I'm just lucky though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miiiiil)
    At my uni i think some people get 3k mainetnance grant, and 3k bursary from uni, on top of the 5k maintenance loand and tuition loan. My parenst give me money to live off, but i get about 3.5k less than these people. unfair...
    Same. sucky, isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    If your parents have no money, you'll probably get the maximum loans/grants etc.
    True. If you're at a London university and you get maximum loans and grants, then you technically don't need anything extra - actually you'll have £1k or so spare if you spend the lower-end of average on living costs.

My parents have almost nothing, but they insisted that I couldn't have a tuition fee loan - if they hadn't, I wouldn't be taking anything from them. But because they did, they will have to pay £600-odd a month for five months starting in October and it is going to be very hard for them. Makes me feel guilty, but it's what they wanted.
    I am careful with my money, so I should be able to help them and then pay it partly or completely myself after the first year.

Despite this, for the next three years I am going to be able to live more comfortably than I ever have before. :fluffy:

ReputationRep:
    If i really need help then I'd maybe get some...
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    They paid my tuition, accommodation, and about £75/week for living expenses (except in my third year, I paid for most of my living expenses myself).

For my master's they are paying tuition only.

I pay international fees (£10k per year undergrad; £12,800 post-grad) and go to university in London.

ReputationRep:
    They gave me £50 a week in my first term, second term it was £40 as I had less accomodation fees to pay. Last term I was only there for 5 weeks and had enough money for myself to survive on.

I think it's going to be the same next year, once I've fugured out how much money is left over after paying accomodation and split it over the number of weeks I am at uni they will figure out how much they will give me a week from the money I have weekly.

I am so grateful for the money it's meant I've not had to go into my overdraft, which is lucky as they can be a right pain at the end of the year.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.