The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

nothing :frown:
Reply 61
Ribbits

My parents are slightly unusual... in that they somehow got through university without any debt at all in the land of yeateryear, Rhodesia, and think this is normal. They were horrified when I first talked about student loans, they didn't understand at all - they forbade it even! After explaining the system to them several times they finally understood and agreed to allow me to get a student loan, because university is impossible for me otherwise. But I'm not getting a tuition fee loan, only maximum maintainance loan and grants. So things might be a little tricky, but I've worked it all out.

It was probably easier for them because tuition fees were only introduced in 1997, before that it was free. Grrr Labour Government:rolleyes:
Enough to keep me in the black. I try not to overspend so I run on a budget of 50 a week. Although I never actually needed to count it cos I never get near to 50 a week till the end of term
Ducks egg.

Nothing.
Reply 64
I've got my tuition fees + accomodation costs covered. Then I'm getting 430 quid a month to spend on food, bills and art materials. And I'm currently fighting for £570 a month from the dutch study finance group. Free money and eligible for it, who wouldn't go for it? (it's a loan at first but becomes a gift after you get your bachelor). Likely looking at between 430-1000 a month. That makes 97-225 a week I think. Reading the responses makes me feel really spoiled but Holland does pump a lot of money into financing students.
Reply 65
£0.00!
I got 0.
Zilch.
Reply 68
Nothing at all :frown:
But I don't expect anything at all. My parents paid for 2 years of another course I did but didn't complete as it just weren't right for me. They paid for all my art supplies which cost a hell of a lot also my accomodation, travel, living expenses etc. They did the same for my elder sis.
Now, for my degree which I'll be doing in September they've already made it clear that they won't be paying anything really. I'm cool with that - just going to get a part-time job like 'normal people' and live off student loan and bursary. It's going to be so hard and I'm going to be so poor :eek3:
Reply 69
My parents are paying for all my tuition fee's and my first year accomodation. I feel terrible taking it but they insist as my sister went to a private school and I didnt.

I've worked my arse off the last 2 gapyears so have a fair bit saved up also.
HexagonalBolts
What's the normal amount people live off? I was told me a 3rd year in Manchester that about £60 was enough, but I was then told by two friends at non-London universities that she was mad and you needed more like £90 a week

Well it depends what you want to spend money on while you're there. I'd put about £30/week aside for food, less if you'd make your own lunch. Then you've got to consider how often you'll be going out every week and how much you estimate a night would cost. You'll also need to think about stationery/clothes and other essential household items and whether or not you'll take them from you're weekly budget or some other source of income like savings. You'll need about £100+ for Freshers' Week alone!!
My mum said she'd try to buy me clothes when I come back for my holidays since clothes are something I might find hard to afford but apart from that nothing.
Reply 72
I'm not getting a weekly/monthly allowance but they have given me £4000 to do what i want with :smile: I've saved up another £2500 so i'm hoping i can get through the first two years (If i get into my firm i will be living at home :smile: )
My parents don't want me to get a student loan so they'll be paying for that, I have no idea how much a week though. One of my friends says he gets £100 a week, but never actually spends the full amount though.
Nothing. Uni is my choice and thus it's my responsibility to finance it.
Reply 75
georgia
Well they'll pay for accommodation and then I'll get somewhere between £50-100 a week for everything else, I think. Hope so anyway.

Your signature made me happy.

& I don't want any money from my parents. I think I've got it covered. :biggrin: (Famous last words)
Reply 76
tea_cakes
Nothing. Uni is my choice and thus it's my responsibility to finance it.

This. Saying that, when I'm in trouble I get a bit to tide me by. Going into my second year where my loan doesn't even cover my house so I'm going to be nipping into my overdaft I imagine.
Nothing. Well, I got £1200 from my Mum on my 18th birthday which she'd been scraping together since I was born. My family of 5 people exist on <£15K/year so it's not fair to ask them to contribute towards my lifestyle now Im a 20 year old independent living away from home. As such I pay £10/week during holidays just to help towards stuff - not much but it helps.
Reply 78
wows i didn't realised people's parents gave them money for uni! lucky things
i suppose it would be necessary for people getting the lowest loan due to high family income though, i will be getting quite a bit from loan/grant/bursaries :woo: so extra from parents not really needed (plan to get a job there tooo)
my parents havent given me money for anything since i started working anyways, but they pay for food/shelter, so thats good enough :biggrin:
Reply 79
During my first year, my loan and grant just cover my accommodation/part catered so my mum will give me about £50 per month for lunches and weekend food if she can afford it. Less if I can get a part time job. Then for further years, £0 as hopefully my loan and grant will cover it all.

Latest

Trending

Trending