Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much money will/do your parents give you for university? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FM08)
    Tbh success comes in different ways with money and is not always down to hard work so I wouldn't strcitly go along with that.

Likewise I will use it as determination, but I would never shower my kids with money.

Money doesn't equal love.
    I definitely wouldn't shower my kids, even if I was a billionaire. I was just saying that if you are jealous or angry at others who do, you can work hard and then do that (if you wish to do so).

Most of the time hard work with some natural skills/intelligence will enable you to make decent money.

ReputationRep:
    Ye I'm not jealous, just angry with some of the numbers. But alot of it is fine at the same time, just like I said there's money and there's money.

ReputationRep:
    hey i cant believe your parents are actually paying your way as they earn over the limit, my mum and dad earn over 50k round about or so, i only get accomodation and uni fees loans to cover myself, i am in a part time job now which i should keep through university and i am getting zilch money from my parents.I am going to have to work hard at my job and also i have other things to pay for such as electrical equipment and a monthly phone bill.honesltly moving out into accomodation is meant to become independent and gain more "adult" way of thinking. please think before taking so much money from your parents.

ReputationRep:
    My parents pay my accommodation (but not my bills). If they didn't I would be screwed, as I get the basic maintenance loan only, and don't have any time for a job.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing.

ReputationRep:
    My dad will give me about £120 per month plus maybe pay my phone contract. Other than that i wont get anything from the parents. I will get student support money as well as student living support from the government. The latter will only pay half of what my accommodation costs so i'll have to use the student support for the rest. Then i'll be taking a student loan to finance the rest of what i need for living. I should do okay with that, the only major thing that'll take a lot of money is the flight tickets home and back for christmas and easter which i'll have to pay for by myself..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FM08)
    I think that's a good way of looking at it. I should (hopefully) be getting around £2,906 in free grants. So in a way in effect the same thing can apply for people whose parents earn too much for the grants. So in that sense getting money from their parents is fine.

But IMO there's getting money and there's getting money .. and some of the numbers I've seen in this thread make me feel outright confused, shocked but mostly angry. £1200 to start off with followed by £95 a week? Madness. I know people will think I'm just jealous, but when you've always been brought up to look after yourself from the age of about 16 onwards and then you see someone being showered with money by their parents ... it is a very bitter pill to swallow.

It makes me angry on two counts, one that I look after myself with next to no help from my parents other than than every now and then when my mum might give me a couple quid and two that it shows how ****** up society is when there's all this ******** about credit crunch and parents are willing to dripfeed their children with money.

Would I moan if I was receiving of money from my parents? I suppose not. But I was clearly brought up in a different world to those types and taught different morals and values.
    Well uni is what, 36 weeks long? So I guess really the government is giving you £80/week. I think that's pretty good going!

And with society there's always going to be those who are luckier than others
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by km31)
    No, nothing, i assume everyone else meant that too.
    Personally, my accomodation is £2500 (who one earth would go for one thats £4K??) and with loan+grant+bursaries i'll get about £7500 for the year.
    That leaves me with £5K for everything else, which works out at over £100 per week (that im a uni) which should cover most of it!
    Do you think everyone has the option of accommodation that costs only £2,500 a year? :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    Do you think everyone has the option of accommodation that costs only £2,500 a year? :eek3:
    Hmm..tbh i don't know really, i thought mine was pretty average in the range available :o:
    I know that i've spoken to some of my friend about it though, and they're all jealous cos their's will cost £x amount, but then when asked about why their's is that much it turns out that they could have chosen the cheaper one the just wanted the shiny new flat or the ensuite etc!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by km31)
    Hmm..tbh i don't know really, i thought mine was pretty average in the range available
    I know that i've spoken to some of my friend about it though, and they're all jealous cos their's will cost £x amount, but then when asked about why their's is that much it turns out that they could have chosen the cheaper one the just wanted the shiny new flat or the ensuite etc!
    At my university, the cheapest single room was £4135.60. You could share a room with a stranger for £2819.60.

ReputationRep:
    i get zilch. maybe if i go back before term starts my dad will buy me 10 pounds worth of food.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    At my university, the cheapest single room was £4135.60. You could share a room with a stranger for £2819.60.
    whoaaa no way! i guess i would have been sharing with someone else if i went to your uni then! what a nightmare... oh well, i guess i'm lucky then :p: is this uni in london by chance? if you dont mind me asking...
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by km31)
    whoaaa no way! i guess i would have been sharing with someone else if i went to your uni then! what a nightmare... oh well, i guess i'm lucky then is this uni in london by chance? if you dont mind me asking...
    Yes, yes indeed.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing at all even if I was in serious debt/money trouble. But there again I don't have anything to do with one of my parents but such is life.

ReputationRep:
    In the first year I got £400 a month, this covered my food, going out, any books i needed, petrol money etc. The only reason I got this much was because when I was assessed for my loan the SLC decided that as my dad earns a higher than average salary I got absolute minimal loan, so the loan I did get went towards my accomodation (I still had to pay more on top just to cover halls!) If my parents hadn't been able to give me the monthly money I wouldn't be able to afford uni at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by km31)
    Hmm..tbh i don't know really, i thought mine was pretty average in the range available :o:
    Mine's going to cost £4400 for 30-weeks. 'Basic room with washbasin'.

I don't understand why SFE doesn't take this into account when dishing out maintenence loans... Some of my friends up north are expecting to pay £2000 for 38 week accommodation. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 123450)
    Mine's going to cost £4400 for 30-weeks. 'Basic room with washbasin'.

I don't understand why SFE doesn't take this into account when dishing out maintenence loans... Some of my friends up north are expecting to pay £2000 for 38 week accommodation. :mad:
    Bummer! I really didn't realise accomodation was so expensive in some places...oh how naive i am :rolleyes:
    yeah mine's for 38 weeks, still only basic room with washbasin though...

I suppose they do take it into account for london uni's...but i probably their reasoning is something along the lines of "well you can choose where to go, you don't HAVE to go to a uni with pricey accomodaton" ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by km31)
    No, nothing, i assume everyone else meant that too.
    Personally, my accomodation is £2500 (who one earth would go for one thats £4K??) and with loan+grant+bursaries i'll get about £7500 for the year.
    That leaves me with £5K for everything else, which works out at over £100 per week (that im a uni) which should cover most of it!
    £2500 is bloody cheap, espeically if it's university-owned accommodation. Mine costs £4300 for the year (pretty expensive, I know), but other universities like Exeter are even more expensive.

And when you say you will be getting £7500 for the year, does that include your loan for tuition fees or not?

ReputationRep:
    my dad gave me money towards a laptop but otherwise, i'm on my own. the mortgage of the house and all his other outgoings are higher than his income so even the money towards the laptop was a stretch, so i won't get nothing and in all honesty i don't expect anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grapevine)
    £2500 is bloody cheap, espeically if it's university-owned accommodation. Mine costs £4300 for the year (pretty expensive, I know), but other universities like Exeter are even more expensive.

And when you say you will be getting £7500 for the year, does that include your loan for tuition fees or not?
    it doen't incde loan for tuition fee, just maintenance loan, grant and bursaries

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.