Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How much money will/do your parents give you for university? watch

ReputationRep:
    My mum has no money. I only decided to go to university about a month ago so my student finance is not sorted yet so although i'm eligible for a maintenance grant and will be recieving 2 student loans, I won't recieve it in time for when I start uni. I have been working and saving up and I now have enough to pay my first tuition fee and rent installment but that's it. I will have no money to live on at all, I don't know how I'm going to manage. It's not my mothers fault, she really wishes she could help but she actually can't and I know that kids aren't going to complain if their parents give them £100 a week or whatever but it's just so unfair. Of course I would say that out of bitterness but hey..

ReputationRep:
    my dad gave bought me a few lil bits before i went in september and took me food shopping when i got there and then i got 500 in march when i was struggling after having to pay out loads for my second year house which i moved into a couple of weeks ago. then when i moved in he took me shopping again to get food and some alcohol and gave me a cheque for 800 towards the £440 bus pass i had to buy for the year and to put towards living and rent and bills until my loan comes through which prob wont be till late october cos my appliction has only this week been sent off after trouble with the accountant. i am so grateful for his help cos we struggle for money back home and he works flat out all the time to support the family and try and keep the house as my mum wont go and get a job.

ReputationRep:
    Parents pay for everything really, I daren't think how much they give (and my brother and sister when they goto Uni) me.

ReputationRep:
    My parents give me nothing towards university costs. Absolutely nothing.
    A girl I lived with last year had her tuition fees and accommodation paid for her, and was given £50 a week by her parents. She still rinsed out two student overdrafts.

My parents have money. They could afford to pay my fees, rent, bills and food. But I *don't want them to*. I like my independance; I like being able to manage my money and stand on my own two feet. As such, I am £400 into my overdraft and that's because I have never ever put any money into it - I have well over that in my other account.

I spend roughly £15 a week on food, £15 on riding, and £70 on rent/bills. All of this comes out of my loan. And that's the way I like it!

ReputationRep:
    Nothing... My mum has bought me few bits for halls i.e. cutlery bedding etc. But I have the two student loans and a maintenance grant, I would live to hear how peopel live off the grant, I worked out it was about £55 a week!!!

God i am starting to panic, my mum feels bad for not being able to help more, but she just can't!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bella127)
    My parents give me nothing towards university costs. Absolutely nothing.
    A girl I lived with last year had her tuition fees and accommodation paid for her, and was given £50 a week by her parents. She still rinsed out two student overdrafts.

My parents have money. They could afford to pay my fees, rent, bills and food. But I *don't want them to*. I like my independance; I like being able to manage my money and stand on my own two feet. As such, I am £400 into my overdraft and that's because I have never ever put any money into it - I have well over that in my other account.

I spend roughly £15 a week on food, £15 on riding, and £70 on rent/bills. All of this comes out of my loan. And that's the way I like it!
    I'd like to as well.

But my maintenance loan doesn't even cover accommodation, let alone food or other costs.

ReputationRep:
    my student loan is 80 quid short every month for my rent (also paid monthly) so my folks are taking my loan and paying my rent.

they put 25 quid into my account every week as well for food/washing and i'll need to work to have money for fun stuff.

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea, we haven't had THAT talk yet, but I know that my parents are pretty much willing to pay for everything as they don't really want me to work.

ReputationRep:
    Well,my parents said they would give me 150 pounds a month,which is precisely 37,5 pounds a week (oh yeah i did the math ) Im also gonna find a part time job,but basicallly 150 is the amount ill be living off a month (i wonder if thats possible,im sure ill figure out),because ill need to save money for my second accommodation payment and trip.

Also,they will pay the first installment for accommodation and already paid the deposit and thats it.Ive applied for a loan so that will cover my fees. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Nothing whatsoever.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.