Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

One month travel itinerary - Thailand/Laos/Cambodia - Help Please Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, I am travelling to Bangkok in a few days and have made a fairly packed itinerary and was wondering if anyone could let me know how reasonable it is?

day 1-2 Bangkok

day 3-6 Chiang Mai (flight from bkk to chiang mai already booked)

day 7-8 Pai

day 9- Travel to Chiang Khong

day 10-speedboat to Luang Prabang

day 11 - Luang Prabang

day 12-14 Vang Vieng. Travel to Vientaine on 14th night.

day 15- Train from Vientaine (Nong Khai) to Ayuthaya

day 16 - Ayuthaya

day 17 - Train to Bangkok then travel to Siem Reap

day 18-20 Siem Reap

day 19 - Travel back to Bangkok

day 20-24 - Koh Phanghan

day 25-26 - Koh Phi Phi

day 27 - Bangkok

day 28 - Home

Any help to perfect this trip would be hugely appreciated.

I'm travelling with 2 other friends and we're all on budgets of about £600. Do you think this will be enough?

We are also interested in doing a 3 day trek in Chiang Mai and would like it to include: staying in a hill-tribe village, staying in a jungle, whitewater rafting, bamboo rafting, elephant riding. The only one i found online was trek 8 from
    http://www.chiangmai1.com/tours/trekking-tours.shtml but the website doesn't look very reliable and there isn't even a phone number to book in advance. Any recommendations would be very helpful.
    Are there any treks that start in Chiang Mai and end in Pai/Mae Hong Son?

And while we're staying in Koh Phanghan will it be easy to get a boat over to Ko Tao in the days to scuba dive? Or will this take too long?

Other than flying, what's the quickest/cheapest way to get from Vang Vieng to Siem Reap? Is the best way to go through Vientaine and Bangkok?

Many Thanks! Positive rep will be left for helpers.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think you are doing too much travel. Have you already booked this whol tour and have accom included? If not, then seriously think again, sometimes it can take half a day to find accom and add that to the weight of the backpack on your back & you see/ want to see very little on the first day you arrive anywhere. Do you understand?

I see you want to spend longest in Phanghan, why? Is it just for the full moon party? It's really not worth it, there is nothing else to do on the island. The scuba diving is better on Phi Phi too. The companies will take you out to where ever their location is on the boats - you only need to worry about finding a reputable company.

No, I don't think you'll be able to do it on your budget either. Although it does depend on what you've already paid for... The time frame you're giving yourself doesn't leave much time to be choosy about accom, or prices - so you shouldn't take it for granted that you'll get bargains.

Basically, unless you've booked this tour already and accom + travel is already included and sorted out, I think it will be pretty ambitious to follow it religiously.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your help!

Changes are:
    day 1-2 Bangkok

day 7-8 Pai

day 9 - Travel to Chiang Khong and then to Huay Xai

day 10 - Bus from Huay Xai to Luang Prabang

day 11-13 - Luang Prabang

day 14-16 - Vang Vieng. Travel to Veintaine overnight

day 17- Vientaine

day 18 - Train from Vientaine (Nong Khai) to Bangkok

day 19-20 - Exploring Ayuthaya and towns near Bangkok.

day 21-24 - Koh Phanghan

day 25-26 - Ko Tao

day 27 - Bangkok

day 28 - Home

Do you think our budget of £600 is now more reasonable? (Note: we have skipped out Cambodia). If not, how much would you recommend?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Why did you cut out Phi Phi, I would cut out Phanghan entirely and go to Phi Phi instead. I echo what Kaylee said please take in mind what she wrote.

Ok I'm not going to bare your timescale in mind cause its up to you to sort that out. Personally I think your doing too much. Here are my points...

I would spend longer in Bangkok - 3 or 4 days

Spend less time in Chiang Mai, but if you really want to do the whole 'tour thing' then you can easily book it when your there. I'd advise you to book your accommodation in advance for Chiang Mai though (booking for Bangkok wouldn't be a bad idea either).

Never went to Laos, you are however missing out Thousand islands which is somewhere I've been recommended literally over a dozen times.

"Explore Ayutthaya and the towns around Bangkok", this basically means explore Bangkok more + Ayutthaya. Probably seeing one of the floating markets or similar, and maybe catching a Thai boxing event. Ayutthaya is possible as a day trip, but it is an awesome place to stay too (indeed my favourate place!).

How are you planning to go south? By train? By bus? By plane? You should bring that into your timescale.

£600 isn't reasonable if I'm going on the proposition that only the flight is paid for and nothing else. It's fine for a daily budget, but make another budget for train/bus/plane travel + border travel + activities (eg Chiang Mai trekking). Border travel is always more expensive than any other kind, someone on here may be able to help you with Laos/Thailand transportation.

---------------------------------

Itinery travel as I call it is OK. I've done it before, but you have to be very proactive or it simply won't work. You'l fall behind schedule then miss things to try and catch up. I wouldn't advise trying to pack in as much as you are unless your happy that you may fall behind and have to miss stuff. Otherwise you may find yourself going from place to place trying to 'see it all' simply for the sake of it, and not enjoying it. Think early starts, moving on almost every day, never being in one place for more than a few nights.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely spend a couple of days at Koh Tao - stay at Laem Thian Bungelows - it's on the other side of the island from where the boats land, but the lovely owners do shuttles to and from it twice a day. I recommend this because it has incredibly good snorkelling (especially around the 'jumping rock' - make sure to ask about it), much better than at the beaches on the side of the island you first land on. It's a real hidden gem! So if you've arranged dives, this is a great base to do additional snorkelling. Another thing about Koh Tao is that the little island of Koh Nang Yuan lies just off it, (actually 3 tiny forested islands all joined by white sand/coral spits), which is incredibly beautiful and also has fabulous snorkelling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leicestergirl)
    Thank you for your help!

Changes are:
    day 1-2 Bangkok [good to recover from jet lag & get your bearings]

day 3-6 Chiang Mai (flight from bkk to chiang mai already booked) [I've never been but you are wise to fly]

day 7-8 Pai [ don't know where it is]

day 9 - Travel to Chiang Khong and then to Huay Xai [still don't know where they are, is there anything to do here?]

day 17- Vientaine

day 18 - Train from Vientaine (Nong Khai) to Bangkok [I would seriously reconsider this, you are looking at 15hours+, Ewan probably disagrees with me, but it will be a nasty journey.]

day 19-20 - Exploring Ayuthaya and towns near Bangkok. [Are you staying in Bangkok? Try heading to Pattaya and Kanchanaburi, River Kwai etc.]

day 21-24 - Koh Phanghan [Totally and utterly a waste of time, the ugliest and unsafest island Thailand has to offer. Go to Phi Phi.]

day 25-26 - Ko Tao [If it's just for scuba, Phi Phi's better.]

day 27 - Bangkok [last minute shopping! haha]

day 28 - Home

Do you think our budget of £600 is now more reasonable? (Note: we have skipped out Cambodia). If not, how much would you recommend?

Thanks!
    Can I ask where you got the tour from? Did you see it somewhere or have you made it up? If you're copying it from a company then it probably won't be that feasible to do without indepth country knowledge... You see my problem with it is that it isn't the standard route taken in Thailand. Yeh you may want to see different things, but by being different it makes it difficult. :confused:

To be honest it seems like you're still spending way too much time travelling than actually seeing places or things. I can't comment on Laos 'cos I've never been, but the journey time between those places & Bangkok is ridiculous.

Whenever I was in Bangkok, we stayed in nice hotel type places and roughed if all the rest of the time. Just because it you'll not really find anywhere that cheap, so you may as well pay a couple of quid more & get brekkie included. I think we got a hotel from STA Travel for about 12 a night and booked it for two nights before we went. Think about doing something similar, 'cos when you get off the plane you won't know where to start!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leicestergirl)
    Thank you for your help!

Changes are:
    day 1-2 Bangkok

day 7-8 Pai

day 9 - Travel to Chiang Khong and then to Huay Xai

day 17- Vientaine

day 18 - Train from Vientaine (Nong Khai) to Bangkok

day 19-20 - Exploring Ayuthaya and towns near Bangkok.

day 21-24 - Koh Phanghan

day 25-26 - Ko Tao

day 27 - Bangkok

day 28 - Home

Thanks!
    I think you are doing too much.
    I recently went to Thailand and you're planning to do what most people do in 2 months.

Personally I'd say spend as little time in BKK as possible, its not the highlight of Thailand at all.
    Chiang Mai is amazing so defo spent this amount of time there. In terms of Pai and Laos I havent been, but a friend of mine who I was in Thailand with did, and he flew, saved a few days traveling.

Why 4 days in Koh Phangan? Theres nothing to do here really other than relax on beaches and get very drunk, which from your itinerary doesnt seem to be the case. I'd say spend one night here, if its for the full moon. Its also more expensive than most of Thailand.
    Spend maybe time on Koh Tao or Koh Samui, both are beautiful.

Bare in mind the time it takes to go to these islands from BKK, its 760km and about 14 hours travel. Maybe fly to Surat Thani then take the boat over, that'd take maybe 4 hours or so.

£600 is a tight budget considering how much you plan to move around, altho if you get budget accomodation, eat on the street and dont get drink more than a few nights you should be ok. Also you wont be able to fly on this budget.

ReputationRep:
    I'd also have to say that you are trying to fit a lot in a short space of time.

I spent a month minimum in each country. You'll end up stressing yourself out rushing from place to place. Often the best way of travel is by taking your time without a strict itinery, more flexibility and freedom. Obviously this isn't alway available but is definately a great way to travel.

£600 is quite tight considering how much traveling you are looking at doing. Personally I would either spend a month in one country or two... say perhaps Thailanad and Cambodia for example.

Anyway, what ever you decide ...have a great time!

Paul

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 11, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.