Turn on thread page Beta

cycling 111 miles in one day watch

ReputationRep:
    Here's the deal. I can't drive and I've got no real desire to do so, but I'm going to buy a new road bike later because the rickety old one I already have has finally given in. Anyway, I cycle all over the place these days, the furthest I've cycled in one go is to Cardiff bay and back, around 20 miles in total, and I wasn't particularly tired.

I want to take this bike to Exeter uni so I can use it there, but there seems to be no easy way to do that. Then I had this idea:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Cycle there! But does anyone think 111 miles is too hard for one days journey? I would properly plan the route and stuff obviously, set out in the morning and bring plenty of bananas and gatorade, and I think it would be a good adventure, still, what do you guys think?

EDIT: I have no intention of cycling on the motorway! I just stuck that in for a reference

ReputationRep:
    You could just get a train and take the bike on the train?
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    It's going to be more than 111 miles, unless you've got a death wish you won't be cycling down the M5. I'd make sure you have a backup plan, note down places you can stay if you need to, and bring enough food/water to keep you from collapsing mid-route.

ReputationRep:
    111 miles in 1 day isn't too much, providing you're only on roads and you cut back on the weight as much as possible, should only take you 7-8 hours.

ReputationRep:
    It took me 3 hours to cycle 50 miles if thats any help. If I were you I' do it over two days, your gonna be spend if you cycle that far in one day. Couldn't you take the train???

ReputationRep:
    Think its abit of a spaz thing to do.just take it on a train

ReputationRep:
    I did 110 miles in a day once and, allowing for stops for breathers which you will need, it took about 11 hours. An average of 10 miles per hour total over the day is all you can expect realistically.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Are you even allowed to cycle on a motorway?

But as others have said, some kind of public transport is probably a more realistic/safe idea.

ReputationRep:
    thats gonna be hard to do every day

just use public transport or get a lift and use your bike just in the towns alone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    Are you even allowed to cycle on a motorway?

But as others have said, some kind of public transport is probably a more realistic/safe idea.
    To OP, no you can't cycle on motorways, all A roads that aren't motorways you can however.

ReputationRep:
    I met some cyclists while working a bar the other day who were en route from Bournemouth to Tavistock. That's 125 miles, and they were there by 5pm having left at 6am and stopped for lunch.

It's doable, just make sure you don't have too much with you, or alternatively get the train.

ReputationRep:
    You can't cycle on a motorway at all, or even an A-road safely.

I'd be inclined to say it'd probably be a bit much due to the landscape in that area of the country, but feel free to try, it is possible.

ReputationRep:
    You can't cycle on motorways, so that probably adds quite a few miles to your journey. But other than that there is no reason why you can't cycle that kind of distance in one day. Although bear in mind if you are not used to being in the saddle for more than 20 miles, you are going to get incredibly sore, that would be what stops you, rather than fatigue, so i suggest you start putting miles away.

ReputationRep:
    can you get a ferry? you can take your bike on and shorten the route, while also having a rest
    its 163 miles waking or with no 'highroads'.
    assuming it's mostly flat, and you can keep up 15 miles an hour, for 3 x 3.5 hour stints, and have a 30 min break inbetweento eat, you could do it in 11.5 hours, it's doable.

None of us know anyway, we never met you.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds fun to me, if you're a decent cycling you should be able to average 15mph no problem, meaning you'd do it in 7 to 8 hours. If you take it more leisurely of course you could do it in longer.

ReputationRep:
    It'll be longer than 111 miles as you're not allowed to cycle on motorways, but 120 miles is perfectly possible, about 8hrs really.

ReputationRep:
    Just remember that 111 miles is a lot more painful than 20 miles. 20 miles isn't very much but once you've hit maybe 60-70 miles you start to feel substantial pain. Unless you've put in the practice 111 miles is a huge challenge if 20 miles is the most you've done before.

ReputationRep:
    Although my experience was carrying 16kg in panniers with headwind so your trip might be a lot easier. 80 miles with tents and stuff each day, plus time for exploration with a storm from the Atlantic for 4 days is not nice.

ReputationRep:
    Righto, I tend to cycle a minimum of 10 miles every week and have been doing that for a year so I don't think discomfort will be a problem. I didn't think I could cycle on motorways, I just stuck that in for a rough idea, I'd have to get a map out and design a route based on A roads, I cycle on them quite often anyway but I suppose its different because I know them well around here. I think I will dedicate a day of the week to cycling further and further, like maybe to Merthyr this week and then Newport (if that's further than Merthyr lol) next week and then Swansea the week after, should be good practise.

Also, I could take the train, but that would be no fun!

EDIT: no, Merthyr is further than Newport xD

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it illegal to cycle on the motorway?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.