Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

cycling 111 miles in one day watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Considering alot of the comments are by non cyclists they are (unsurprisingly) not something that should be listened to;

As an analogy you might have well said the furtheset I have ran is 5 kilometers - do you think I could run a marathon equivalent distance to a certain location ?

Spoiler:
    Show

(A) If the furthest you have cycled is 20 miles you could do 60 (at a push) in a day - and it would be a hard day. Realistically you are not going to be fit enough for prolonged activity in the saddle

(B) Going at 15 mph by yourself for 120 miles is extrermely difficult - you would need at least two months of base training to get you used to that kind of distance before you attempt to reach a solo pace of 15 mph (which in itself would require one to two months of intervals and crits and a few races to work on your top end speed.

(C) Cyclists work together when they ride - it is called drafting. This can significantly increase the speed of the group - by yourself means no drafting and hence a slower speed.

(D) The fact you are taking bannanas and gatorade is questionable - do you have any real supplements [bars, gels, energy powder ...]?

Try going for a 50 mile ride today or tommorow [or before you intend to actually belive you can cover that distance in a day] and see how you feel. I would be surprised if you didn't bonk (or you may get physically tired due to lack of fitness before then) - the only reason you will bonk is your body and you do not know how to feed yourself on a ride properly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atal)
    Righto, I tend to cycle a minimum of 10 miles every week and have been doing that for a year so I don't think discomfort will be a problem. I didn't think I could cycle on motorways, I just stuck that in for a rough idea, I'd have to get a map out and design a route based on A roads, I cycle on them quite often anyway but I suppose its different because I know them well around here. I think I will dedicate a day of the week to cycling further and further, like maybe to Merthyr this week and then Newport (if that's further than Merthyr lol) next week and then Swansea the week after, should be good practise.

Also, I could take the train, but that would be no fun!

You need to cycle at least every other day really. Purely to build up your saddle endurance. Your talking about 8 hours on a tiny saddle, the majority of your body weight concentraated on one tiny spot. Sitting in a comfy chair for eight hours is bad enough. Trust me the furthest i have cycled is 60 miles and towards the end it felt as though somebody had taken a grinder to the bottom of my spine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atal)
    Righto, I tend to cycle a minimum of 10 miles every week and have been doing that for a year so I don't think discomfort will be a problem.
    I cycle a minimum of 200 miles a week (pre pre-base training now) and wouldn't even consider doing a century let alone 120 miles - physically I would definitely finish but I would suffer too much pain. By pain we do not mean my backk is sore or my bum or legs are not comfy. We mean - **** this pace is too high and I have no energy left - at which point you put yourself into serious pain.

10 miles a week is - no offence - nothing in terms of fitness.

By comfartably I am referring to the speed I would wish to maintain not actual completion itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeanK22)
    Try going for a 50 mile ride today or tommorow [or before you intend to actually belive you can cover that distance in a day] and see how you feel. I would be surprised if you didn't bonk (or you may get physically tired due to lack of fitness before then) - the only reason you will bonk is your body and you do not know how to feed yourself on a ride properly.
    This OP, is very important. I took a kilo of energy drink powder with me even though the extra weight was :eek3:. Although without it I probably would have died on D of E.

ReputationRep:
    I cycle a minimum of 200 miles a week (pre pre-base training now) and wouldn't even consider doing a century let alone 120 miles - physically I would definitely finish but I would suffer too much pain. By pain we do not mean my backk is sore or my bum or legs are not comfy. We mean - **** this pace is too high and I have no energy left - at which point you put yourself into serious pain.

Aye it isnt, its only the trips to the gym and back lol, the return being entirely up hill, I do need to do a lot more clearly.

Right, I'm going to sit down and plan some shorter routes, I'm looking forward to seeing how I fare after many miles. The only thing im concerned about is long distance riding making you less fertile* :P

*I was going to paste the bbc article but I couldn't find it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atal)
    The only thing im concerned about is long distance riding making you less fertile* :P

*I was going to paste the bbc article but I couldn't find it
    If you have been riding like a pro or semi pro rider [for example a minimum of ten years averaging three to four hours a day then you may have something to worry about - but considering your saddle time is virtually non-existent you will (take my word for it) be fine.

ReputationRep:

You cycle a minimum of 200 miles a week, but yet a century would be too much for you? What do you do, 500 trips to the corner shop and back or something!?

A few weeks back, one of my training buddies set off to ride from London to India - 9000 miles. He is doing this on an upright steel framed bike complete with about 50kgs of panniers. Ok, he is an experienced cyclist, but the most he has ever ridden in a day is around the 100 mile mark. By the same logic he shouldn't have even set off, but he is currently in Poland and very happy too.

On this day that he set off, we went in a big procession down to Dover with him (190kms or 120ish miles). There were two groups, one with us faster cyclists in, and another with novice cyclists. We met up towards the end of the ride to go in convoy to the coast, and I got chatting to a guy I had never met before. He informed me after a while that his longest ride to date was 30 miles and that he was in agony, but having a great time. It had taken him around 10 hours to do the distance, but he was there. Again, more proof that the mind is a powerful thing.

Last weekend, I did my 10th Ironman doing a 2.4 mile swim before a 112 mile ride, and then a marathon straight after. Impossible is nothing.

Screw what people on here tell you - get on your bike, take some money and a lot of patience, and ride to Exeter if it's what you want to do. It might take you most of the day and maybe some of the night, but you'll get there.

Mike

ReputationRep:
    I do about 9.5 miles in an hour, but I'm slow according to most lol. It's possible, but I wouldn't like to cycle back the same day!

ReputationRep:
    To attempt this is a bit of a joke. If you cycle as little as you do (assuming you're not doing any kind of other exercise which gives you a lot of endurance you can transfer to cycling) then you'd be lucky to acheive a 15mph average for a couple of hours, and that's not including breaks, which you will need quite often because you've got so little experience of riding over a long distance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ironmike)
    He informed me after a while that his longest ride to date was 30 miles and that he was in agony, but having a great time.
    But are we talking about a guy who is actually cycling regularly? We're not just talking about someone who's never ridden more than 20 miles, we're talking about someone who cycles about 10 miles a week.

I mean, I'd do a ride of this sort of distance despite never doing over 40 miles in a day before, but that's because I'm actually cycling regularly and do plenty of other stuff to keep fit too.

Last weekend, I did my 10th Ironman doing a 2.4 mile swim before a 112 mile ride, and then a marathon straight after. Impossible is nothing.
    Kind of irrelevant, isn't it, that someone who is at excellent level of fitness having trained for exactly such an event for a long time can do that? I don't think anyone believes a 111 mile ride is impossible, this is about someone not in a good shape to do it attempting it.

ReputationRep:
    After reading you do min 10 miles a week, no.
    Most people walk 10 miles a week, doesnt mean they could walk 100 miles a day, yet alone 163.

don't even try it.

ReputationRep:
    You cycle a minimum of 200 miles a week, but yet a century would be too much for you? What do you do, 500 trips to the corner shop and back or something!?

A few weeks back, one of my training buddies set off to ride from London to India - 9000 miles. He is doing this on an upright steel framed bike complete with about 50kgs of panniers. Ok, he is an experienced cyclist, but the most he has ever ridden in a day is around the 100 mile mark. By the same logic he shouldn't have even set off, but he is currently in Poland and very happy too.

On this day that he set off, we went in a big procession down to Dover with him (190kms or 120ish miles). There were two groups, one with us faster cyclists in, and another with novice cyclists. We met up towards the end of the ride to go in convoy to the coast, and I got chatting to a guy I had never met before. He informed me after a while that his longest ride to date was 30 miles and that he was in agony, but having a great time. It had taken him around 10 hours to do the distance, but he was there. Again, more proof that the mind is a powerful thing.

Screw what people on here tell you - get on your bike, take some money and a lot of patience, and ride to Exeter if it's what you want to do. It might take you most of the day and maybe some of the night, but you'll get there.

Mike
    Once you are fit enough to cycle 100 miles a day and have done so comfartably then doing such an event seems fine - it is no secret that pros and ironmen train around the 100 mile mark - your friend doing this poland ride will have had a serious base training plan and done some interval work for the (rather tough) days - but all in all he would be foolish to go over the 100 mile a day mark. I fail to see how someone with training can be compared to someone without - it is not the same logic.

No-one is telling him not to - I was just telling him to train. There is nothing like a few other guys riding an event with you - the atmosphere is magically (especially abroad) and you get pshyced up and do not want to loose face. But when cycling alone I doubt the OP will have the motivation considering he has done nothing like this before.

Spoiler:
    Show

erm wtf are you on about. I got ill during the race season (two weeks off) so I am focuing on just steady base fitness. A typical base training session (week) would be

Spoiler:
    Show

40-50 miles 65-70% HRM with 3x10 min 85-90% HRM max with 10 min 60% HRM between.

Rest day

60-80 miles 65-70% with climbing (maybe only one or two climbs such as waddington or nick o pendle)

X training of my preference [mostly ends p being running / gym]

Rest day

70-80 miles easy
    x 2 (i.e. sat and sunday) with every fortnight putting in 10x20 seconds sprints with 5 min recovery on saturday ride

I said I could (and have done in worse fitness than I am now) do the century - I just wouldn't be comfortable enough doiing it due to the speed I would personally wish to maintain (yes I do get annoyed and upset when I don't meet things it really would do nothing but mentally affect me).

Would you mind showing me your training plan / reccomended a training plan for the ironman [preferrably half ironman] [btw the ironman you completed wouldn't have happened to be around Horwich would it?]. I would seriously like to get into it and hopefully complete an ironman in the next two years (but of course a half ironman next year is my aim).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    But are we talking about a guy who is actually cycling regularly? We're not just talking about someone who's never ridden more than 20 miles, we're talking about someone who cycles about 10 miles a week.
    Nah he is pretty much like the OP. Infact, he said he brought his first road bike (this one) about 3 months ago and has ridden it intermittently. He is definitely not what you would call someone who has been out a lot on a bike, and spends his weekends getting drunk and chasing girls in the most part, well that's the impression I got only knowing him through my mate. He even had trainers and strap pedals on as opposed to road cleats.

Kind of irrelevant, isn't it, that someone who is at excellent level of fitness having trained for exactly such an event for a long time can do that? I don't think anyone believes a 111 mile ride is impossible, this is about someone not in a good shape to do it attempting it.
    The reason for posting that is to put it to the masses here that instead of procrastinating on the internet for weeks, maybe they should just get out and do it. There was a time when that seemed impossible to me, and then I did one, and well the rest is history.

Not picking on anyone specifically here, but there are a lot of people saying ah you'll never do it and give up who have probably not ridden a bike since they were in nappies. What I am saying is that maybe the OP will get 50 miles down the road and have to get a train, but to heck with it. Conventionally speaking, yes you should train for something like this and build up, but I can give you an example of someone I coach who started training seriously on the bike around march time, and in June did lands end to john o groats - around 1000 miles in 8 days. Had she posted on here that she was a novice and wanted to do this, she would probably have got the same sort of give up and don't even think about it response.

Most people could average 12mph on a decent road bike without too much trouble. Would therefore take about 10 hours - add another 4 for lunch, snack and toilet breaks and if he sets off nice and early around 6am, he'll be there for dinner. Not saying he'll coast it, but if it's something he wants to do, go for it!

ReputationRep:
    To attempt this is a bit of a joke. If you cycle as little as you do (assuming you're not doing any kind of other exercise which gives you a lot of endurance you can transfer to cycling) then you'd be lucky to acheive a 15mph average for a couple of hours, and that's not including breaks, which you will need quite often because you've got so little experience of riding over a long distance.
    I am inclined to agree, though I would describe it as dangerous .
    You might be working out, given you are doing these 10 miles on trips to the gym and back, but have you been focussing on your endurance? 20 miles in one go says your fitness is not awful, but to do that 8 times over at the same pace?

By all means attempt to cycle to Exeter, but please please don't try to do it in one day. Book hostels/hotels along the way and make your way down gradually. I am no cyclist, but I would say 3 days. That's probably going to work out to be about 50 miles a day, which sounds reasonable.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the neg - clearly you confused comfortably finish with an indefinite amount of time. Even my grandma could do a century tomorrow - the only difference between us is she would find it uncomfartable to finish - I would find it uncomfartable to maintain the average speed I want.

Massive tit - I would seriously like you to list which events you are doing next year just so I can personally turn up and beat you - taking a place away from you is something that needs to be done - you are clearly an arrogant ****.

ReputationRep:
    Nah he is pretty much like the OP. Infact, he said he brought his first road bike (this one) about 3 months ago and has ridden it intermittently. He is definitely not what you would call someone who has been out a lot on a bike, and spends his weekends getting drunk and chasing girls in the most part, well that's the impression I got only knowing him through my mate. He even had trainers and strap pedals on as opposed to road cleats.
    In that case, fair play to the guy, certainly!

The reason for posting that is to put it to the masses here that instead of procrastinating on the internet for weeks, maybe they should just get out and do it. There was a time when that seemed impossible to me, and then I did one, and well the rest is history.

Not picking on anyone specifically here, but there are a lot of people saying ah you'll never do it and give up who have probably not ridden a bike since they were in nappies. What I am saying is that maybe the OP will get 50 miles down the road and have to get a train, but to heck with it. Conventionally speaking, yes you should train for something like this and build up, but I can give you an example of someone I coach who started training seriously on the bike around march time, and in June did lands end to john o groats - around 1000 miles in 8 days. Had she posted on here that she was a novice and wanted to do this, she would probably have got the same sort of give up and don't even think about it response.

Most people could average 12mph on a decent road bike without too much trouble. Would therefore take about 10 hours - add another 4 for lunch, snack and toilet breaks and if he sets off nice and early around 6am, he'll be there for dinner. Not saying he'll coast it, but if it's something he wants to do, go for it!
    I do appreciate that and I guess people are maybe being too negative (and it's not really something those without cycling experience should be weighing in on) but even in your example there's training there, and there's no talk of training here, just a "could I do it?" question. I guess, though, that with a couple of 50 mile rides to get used to it the OP would probably get there in the end.

Out of interest, what kind of times do you get for each of the stages and the total in the Ironman? I'm really clueless as to what kind of speeds are sustained for such huge events. Not that you'd ever catch me exercising for that long. I'd quite like to do a sprint triathlon and would stretch to an olympic at some point just for the experience, but I think super endurance events are more effort than they're worth :p:

Anyway, time to cycle. I'm not getting any work done and I'm off for a weekend of getting drunk (but probably not chasing girls) at 6.

ReputationRep:
    Once you are fit enough to cycle 100 miles a day and have done so comfartably then doing such an event seems fine - it is no secret that pros and ironmen train around the 100 mile mark - your friend doing this poland ride will have had a serious base training plan and done some interval work for the (rather tough) days - but all in all he would be foolish to go over the 100 mile a day mark. I fail to see how someone with training can be compared to someone without - it is not the same logic.
    Interval work for a 9000 mile ride? Wouldn't suggest there is too much point to be honest. Really, he just rides with us regularly and decided to go ride his bike to India. He decided he was going about four or so months back, and hasn't been doing any specific training for it. This is my point. He isn't trying to break any records. Maybe someone could ride to India faster than him, but he is taking his time and having lots of rest/sight seeing along the way. This is the same principle, but on a larger scale to the OP. Maybe someone could ride to Exeter faster than him, but if he takes his time, has lunch stops, toilet stops, pint of beer stops, why couldn't he get to Exeter in a day? It is very much the same logic. As for not going over 100 miles a day, why would that be foolish? Look at the people who do Race Across America averaging 400 miles a day, or those that take part in similar ultra distance events. He rode 115 miles with us on day 1 and is still going strong...

No-one is telling him not to - I was just telling him to train. There is nothing like a few other guys riding an event with you - the atmosphere is magically (especially abroad) and you get pshyced up and do not want to loose face. But when cycling alone I doubt the OP will have the motivation considering he has done nothing like this before.
    I think if you read back you will find that everyone bar me is telling him not to! As to doubting the OP will have the motivation to complete it, this is based on what? You know him? Honestly guys and girls, I have seen people at various cyclosportives who look like they should be doing body double work for the michelin man complete century plus rides.

As for IM training, I don't have any plans written out that I could send. I coach a variety of people both through my tri club and privately for these events, and I am more than happy to chat about it with you, but maybe PM me as opposed to clogging up this thread. It was IMUK around Horwich yes.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the neg - clearly you confused comfortably finish with an indefinite amount of time. Even my grandma could do a century tomorrow - the only difference between us is she would find it uncomfartable to finish - I would find it uncomfartable to maintain the average speed I want.

Massive tit - I would seriously like you to list which events you are doing next year just so I can personally turn up and beat you - taking a place away from you is something that needs to be done - you are clearly an arrogant ****.
    Not sure who you are talking to, but if it's me I don't even know what a neg is let alone how to give you one. As an answer anyway, I will be focussing on shorter stuff next year - probably Weymouth 70.3, Windsor and London triathlons. Don't tend to do a lot of bike only events, although if you can get down to Richmond Park on the 23rd of August I am doing the new 10 mile TT there. Despite your outburst, please do feel free to get in touch regarding IM training. Think you have your wires crossed somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure who you are talking to, but if it's me I don't even know what a neg is let alone how to give you one. As an answer anyway, I will be focussing on shorter stuff next year - probably Weymouth 70.3, Windsor and London triathlons. Don't tend to do a lot of bike only events, although if you can get down to Richmond Park on the 23rd of August I am doing the new 10 mile TT there. Despite your outburst, please do feel free to get in touch regarding IM training. Think you have your wires crossed somewhere.
    Thats very kind of you and I appreciate that (Don't worry about the neg thing - the message I recieved just sounded like it might be you because it mentioned doing a marathon and LJOGS)

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest, what kind of times do you get for each of the stages and the total in the Ironman? I'm really clueless as to what kind of speeds are sustained for such huge events. Not that you'd ever catch me exercising for that long. I'd quite like to do a sprint triathlon and would stretch to an olympic at some point just for the experience, but I think super endurance events are more effort than they're worth :p:
    My pb over the distance is 10h38. The splits from memory:
    Swim 3.8km - 54 mins
    Bike 180km - 5h16
    Run 42.2km - 4h11
    Transitions and faffing around whatever the change is, about 8-10 mins.

Bike average speed around about 36km/h or just below 22mph I believe. I always fall apart on the run, but hey ho.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.