Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

cycling 111 miles in one day Watch

ReputationRep:
    My fitness isn't that bad, I workout, play rugby and do a lot of interval training :P

I am quite proud of my ability to motivate myself, once I set out to do something I don't stop. I'm excited to try some longer distance cycles, thanks for the tips guys.

Since I'm getting a new road bike, do you think I should invest in a proper pair of cycling shorts as well? also while I'm at it, what's this energy powder you all speak of, can you give me any tips on nutrition while cycling?

ReputationRep:
    I've done about 100 in one day from N Birmingham to Luton, taking some next long route via all these busy A roads, but that was with a large group... It is possible, starting at 7am, taking loads of breaks along the way and stopping at nightfall, but don't be surprised if you have a cold for a week after and have swollen thighs so large your knees can't touch the bed while laying on your front!

ReputationRep:
    To give the above a bit of relevance, 1800 metres of climbing over the 180km, but lovely smooth tarmac and not a lot of wind.

ReputationRep:
    Do you realise how sore your ass is gonna be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atal)
    My fitness isn't that bad, I workout, play rugby and do a lot of interval training :P

I am quite proud of my ability to motivate myself, once I set out to do something I don't stop. I'm excited to try some longer distance cycles, thanks for the tips guys.

Since I'm getting a new road bike, do you think I should invest in a proper pair of cycling shorts as well? also while I'm at it, what's this energy powder you all speak of, can you give me any tips on nutrition while cycling?
    Torq is good mixing (neutral powder taste)
    SIS do good gels
    Torq and Zipvit do nice energy bars
    SIS have good recovery drinks

Some shoes that clip (as in sole attaches to the pedal [google SpD]) will be the best invstment followed by shorts(+general clothing).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atal)

Yeah back on topic hey, sorry post got a bit hijacked. Definitely get cycling shorts, your backside will thank you for it.

Nutrition wise, its a bit of a misconception that you have to be taking the latest and greatest energy products. Depending on your size, you should be taking about 3-600 calories an hour whilst doing exercise. There are numerous bars/gels/powders on the market that claim to boost your performance etc. They are expensive however, and apart from a few added ingredients have all the same things in that a bag of jelly babies do! I did most of my long rides this year taking in jelly babies and flapjacks. Just eat whatever makes you happy and you will be fine. You're not bothered about optimum performance, you're bothered about getting from A to B. Heck if a pie and chips at lunchtime helps you keep going, do it!

ReputationRep:
    I use whole sun dried bananas for my cycling food. Eating one of them is like eating a whole banana (well they are whole bananas!), but they're much smaller than fresh bananas and don't turn into a bruised mess after a few miles. They keep for ages too.

Cardiff to Exeter will be more like 130 miles once you've found a route to avoid the duel carriageways. Cycling more than 50 miles is hard work for someone not used to cycling long distances. Even if you're already pretty fit, your leg muscles will start to ache if you're not used to cycling that far.

ReputationRep:
    I did 132 miles in a day, including 65 miles of hills in Derbyshire, when the furthest I'd been previously was 35miles, several years before. At the time I was riding about 15-20 miles per week just around town.

I got a brooks B17 saddle and was hilariously comfortable.

I agree with the other poster that you should really plan for 10mph overall, especially if you're carrying luggage and want to stop. It's very possible to go faster than that, but time soon dissappears just from stopping and things.

So just expect it to take *all day*, basically.

I wouldn't bother training for it, personally. If you're a fairly regular cyclist already then you'll probably be alright - you'll have to judge it though.

EDIT: more tips/info. It was late December so I wore trousers and long sleeves, with walking boots infact. I got some toeclips for my pedals aswell, and I'd recommend those.

For food I made up some flapjacks to take - basically just make a very thick porridge, then spread it on a tray and bake it for ~30 mins. I added butter, salt and honey as well, before baking the mixture.
    I also took a big bag of cooked fatty beef. On the way I stopped to get crap like chocolate bars. I only drank about 3L of water during the day but really should have had more, but I couldn't be bothered to stop at a pub very often.

Since then on other rides I found a really good thing to take is... a 4pt milk container (full fat of course), half full of milk, with a ******** of oats added, and loads of honey, then topped up with water. It's easy to get down, tastes awesome, and should be quite hydrating as well.

Not eating and drinking enough was my main mistake, really. And perhaps a hot meal somewhere along the line would have been helpful as well.

ReputationRep:
    The longest cycle ride I've ever done is a 50kms one in Vietnam. Felt much more because I was on a truly **** bike with a chain that kept coming off, literally once every kilometre. Didn't ride over any landmines though intit.

:cool:

I'm looking forward to getting a good road bike and going places tbfh.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.