The Student Room Group

Poll: Girl's aspirations

Poll

Girls, which job would you rather have?

According to this website, http://www.object.org.uk, 63% of girls would rather be a glamour model than a teacher, doctor or politician.

I think that this statistic happens to be ridiculous. I don't know where they got their sample from, but I don't think girls are actually as stupid as this (feminist) website makes out.

So, I thought I'd find out what the percentage on tsr is.

EDIT: I know that the poll options are a bit limited, but I just used the jobs that they had as examples on the website.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
TSR isn't exactly going to be an unbiased sample though is it? Out of the general population I have no trouble believing 63% would rather be glamour models, in fact seems lower than I thought it would be.
Reply 2
Solicitor is not on the poll. Why?

Doctor since my first choice isn't there.
Reply 3
Nichrome
TSR isn't exactly going to be an unbiased sample though is it? Out of the general population I have no trouble believing 63% would rather be glamour models, in fact seems lower than I thought it would be.

You're right, it won't be an unbiased sample at all, but I still think their original sample must have been fairly biased to come up with 63%. THe general popultaion aren't that stupid.
Reply 4
Business Owner isn't there, so I've gone with what my ambition would be if I had the choice, doctor.
Reply 5
sleekchic
Solicitor is not on the poll. Why?

I just used the examples they gave on the website

From the website - Indeed 63% of girls say that they would rather be glamour models than teachers, doctors or politicians
I haven't found a source for that statistic anywhere yet, though.

EDIT: Ah, I did a google search, and found it was a survey of 1,000 15-19 year old girls.
Reply 6
I dont think its stupid to want to be glamour model out of those four, if like me none of them really appeal to you anyway - being a glamour model supposedly come with great looks alot of money less hard work then the others.

If a broader range of careers were on the list it would be much different.
Reply 7
LOL. I'm the only one who's voted Politician so far. I guess it's a one-woman election race.
Reply 8
The thing is, did women pick being a glamour model because they like having pictures taken of them/fame/all of that or because glamour models are generally associated with having a nice body, being sexy, etc? I mean, you can have fat doctors, but who would want to be that when you can be a size 6 smoking glamour model right?
Natasha_c
I dont think its stupid to want to be glamour model out of those four, if like me none of them really appeal to you anyway - being a glamour model supposedly come with great looks alot of money less hard work then the others.

this.
Spanghew
THe general popultaion aren't that stupid.

What's stupid got to do with it? Doctors, lawyers or teachers have to study for years, work extremely hard and in what are considered to be very stressful jobs.

A glamour model gets her tits out once a week and gains instant celebrity, a lifestyle of partying and dating sport stars and generally makes more money than many jobs that require a degree.

Maybe it's you that is stupid.
Natasha_c

Every word of this :yes:
Although I'd rather be a catwalk model than a glamour model.
Im a boy and i still chose glamour model >_>
Reply 13
I wouldn't mind being a glamour model to be honest, if I was offered a lot of money to wear nice clothes and walk up and down a catwalk I would certainly take it!

Most of the voters are probably smarter than we give them credit for and voted along these lines, knowing that it is a silly fantasy, whilst training to be teachers and doctors. :biggrin:
Reply 14
Natasha_c

Yeah, like I jsut said, I just used the examples that were on the website. Maybe an "other" option would have been a good idea, though.
Natasha_c

:yes: This.
Reply 16
DJkG.1
I wouldn't mind being a glamour model to be honest, if I was offered a lot of money to wear nice clothes and walk up and down a catwalk I would certainly take it!

...that's not what a glamour model is :biggrin:
Reply 17
Spanghew
...that's not what a glamour model is :biggrin:

Sorry, you're right!

Still I'm not that far off... you're still wearing certain clothes to have pictures taken.
Doctor, teacher would be a fairly close second.

I just want to make the poorly people get better :sadnod: Maybe this stems from having my life saved twice by the hospital people though...

Actually, I KNOW I wouldn't get satisfaction from being a glamour model so this job would never be an option for me.
Spanghew
You're right, it won't be an unbiased sample at all, but I still think their original sample must have been fairly biased to come up with 63%. THe general popultaion aren't that stupid.

are you sure?

:curious:

Latest

Trending

Trending