Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi, id like to colour my hair and need some advice.

ive only dyed it once before and after 1 month my hair started to fall out, i dont know if this was because of too much stress at the time or becaus eof the hair colour.

my questions:

will dyeing my hair repeatedly cause my hair to fall out?

what is the best way to keep treating the roots with colour so that it looks natural all year round.

does bleaching hair white look out of fashion/ridiculous?

ReputationRep:
    It won't fall out, it will just make the ends straggly and they will be more likely to break off so that growing it will be a problem, if you don't mind short/medium length hair it's fine (as long as you don't dye it as frequently as let's say every week or something ridiculous).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by belle_xx)
    It won't fall out, it will just make the ends straggly and they will be more likely to break off so that growing it will be a problem, if you don't mind short/medium length hair it's fine (as long as you don't dye it as frequently as let's say every week or something ridiculous).

how often would be safe enough to redo the roots?

ReputationRep:
    Probably once a month/every three weeks? If you're thinking of going blonde, would be good to do it that often, as when blonde starts to grow out black roots look quite awful... however, if you're brunette and dying your hair a richer brown/reddish, then you can probably leave it a bit longer than that.

ReputationRep:
    i had dark brown hair and bleached the life out of it in favour of every other colour under the sun, i never had a problem with it falling out but i have found that dying it back to a darker colour ever few months for a few weeks makes my hair healthier for a while.

also. if your hair is dark then it'll be really really difficult to get it white, it'll always have a yellowy orange tinge to it. if you want it white then dealing with yellow hair for a few months and grandually lightening it is the way forward.

you could try dying a streak,or a secton, or just the underneath of your hair and see how that goes.

ReputationRep:
    My hair is reaaaally dark brown and have tried bleaching on various occasions, always goes orange!

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    the orange hair thing isn't a big deal if you want it another colour anyway.
    orangey yellow hair is never cool.
    no-matter what you do,it'll always looklike bleaching it hasn't quite worked.

so whats the colour you're going from/to?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 7, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.