Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Recommendations for a road bike Watch

ReputationRep:
    It all depends on how much you want to spend. To get a decent road-bike you have to spend over £500 I would say (for a new one, or built one). However, if you are after a good work out, a heavier bike would suit you perfectly (more weight requires more effort) and I would suggest eBay for a second hand one. Plus the added advantage I have found is that an older bike from eBay (well mine) looks very different (dodgy paint job, etc.) to the brand-spanking new carbon forks, etc. bikes (even though it is a good bike), and so it is ignored by bike thieves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keith Lemon)
    Have you got a link to the bike in Decathlon?

And yeah, sometimes local bike shops can be good, or, just plain rubbish, and it seems yours is the latter, definatley avoid the Raleigh.

I'm sure there would be reviews written about some of the bikes you have looked at, so that might be worth looking into, if you are buying online.

Oh and also what sort of height are you? as you've probably noticed the frames are all measured in "cm", as a rough guide a 58cm frame will suit someone around 6ft, but that is very rough.
    I'm 5ft 10". I did notice that on chainreaction as there seemed to be 3 different prices because of the 3 differently sized frames, for the same model.

I've ruled out going down the local bike shop route.

I'm away for 3 days so I'll get back to this when I return. Thanks for the advice ppl, so far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Nonsense)
    It all depends on how much you want to spend. To get a decent road-bike you have to spend over £500 I would say (for a new one, or built one). However, if you are after a good work out, a heavier bike would suit you perfectly (more weight requires more effort) and I would suggest eBay for a second hand one. Plus the added advantage I have found is that an older bike from eBay (well mine) looks very different (dodgy paint job, etc.) to the brand-spanking new carbon forks, etc. bikes (even though it is a good bike), and so it is ignored by bike thieves.
    I'm done with heavy bikes and I've never had a road bike before. I can get a good workout whilst having fun, covering lengthy distances and hitting good speeds, through having a road bike. No hybrid or mountain bike for me.

ReputationRep:
    What size frame should I be looking/aiming at? I'm 5ft 10" and I don't know if weight measurement is required but if so, I'm 11.5st.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    What size frame should I be looking/aiming at? I'm 5ft 10" and I don't know if weight measurement is required but if so, I'm 11.5st.
    56cm, maybe, but it depends on leg length aswell really, are there no other bike shops that are fairly close? Otherwise just go into the local bike shop you mentioned and sit on a few different sizes of the Raleigh road bike.

ReputationRep:
    I'm interested in the Carrera TDF Road Bike 2009. I've just had a phone conversation with a man in the bike shop I'm thinking about buying from, and after giving him my height details (5ft 10), he said I'd probably be best with the 58cm rather than the 54cm model.

I'd like your thoughts on this bike. Some of you, IIRC said it's a reasonable road bike, and it will be my first ever road bike so I'm a road bike noob effectively, so splashing any more cash would be a bit silly.

I'm probably going to go to the store tomorrow, place my order and the bike will be ready to collect in a weeks time. The store will have to place an order for the bike as there are none in at present.

It's quite exciting really. Exercise + speed sounds quite a sexy combination tbfh.

ReputationRep:
    I'm interested in the Carrera TDF Road Bike 2009. I've just had a phone conversation with a man in the bike shop I'm thinking about buying from, and after giving him my height details (5ft 10), he said I'd probably be best with the 58cm rather than the 54cm model.
    54 cm is more than adequate - I am 5ft 11 and my 54 fits like a glove I have a 110 mm stem though - usually you will have a 100 mm stem).

56 cm would be too big (used for riders about 6 foot)

The only professional rider I know who uses a 58 cm frame is "big George" Hincapie; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Hincapie

This beast also used to use 180 mm cranks though.

I have no knowledge of Carrera bikes - I would reccomend spending some money on a Ribble though - second hand you could pick one out for £180 - £270 and use it as a good road training bike (a training bike is exactly the same as your race bike except the components won't be as good and it will be used alot more - it may also have mud guards etc, which require special eyelets in the frame - look for winter training frames unless you want clip on mud guards).

Mud guards aree usually compulsary on a club run and you won't be welcomed (and sometimes told you cannot join) if you do not bring your bike with mudguards on.

ReputationRep:
    Changed my mind on the bike I had in mind. Went to the store today to make enquiries. They don't have that bike in store, won't have the model I like in store, not unless I decide to reserve one, I'd then have to pay in advance, before the bike has even got to the store and before I've been tried the bike for size, feel etc...

And the quality of customer service I received today was below-par.

And I'm getting pissed off with all this.

So, I'm buying the cheapest road bike there is on offer at Decathlon. A B-Twin bike. It looks nice, the model I like is in store/stock and I'll be able to try it for size tomorrow and get the right bike specifications straightaway.

:cool:

Just need a new helmet, some cycling gloves and a speedometer. Any recommendations people, or should I just buy everything in the same store tomorrow?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Changed my mind on the bike I had in mind. Went to the store today to make enquiries. They don't have that bike in store, won't have the model I like in store, not unless I decide to reserve one, I'd then have to pay in advance, before the bike has even got to the store and before I've been tried the bike for size, feel etc...

And the quality of customer service I received today was below-par.

And I'm getting pissed off with all this.

So, I'm buying the cheapest road bike there is on offer at Decathlon. A B-Twin bike. It looks nice, the model I like is in store/stock and I'll be able to try it for size tomorrow and get the right bike specifications straightaway.

:cool:

Just need a new helmet, some cycling gloves and a speedometer. Any recommendations people, or should I just buy everything in the same store tomorrow?
    if you want to splash the cash for the helmet get a catlike whisper. if not a normal bell, specialized or the like will be good.

cycling gloves i have the bikehut one's from halfords and they are really nice.

for the speedo i have the Cateye STRADA CADENCE, link here again it's really good the cadence is very useful when training.

ReputationRep:
    Cycling gloves I don't bother with unless it's winter but if you want some Specialized gloves are quite highly regarded and wear well.
    As for a speedo then either get the cheapest you can (£15 at tesco) or get a good one with everything including cadence - heart rate would be good but a lot of people use seperate monitors.

ReputationRep:
    Garmin 705 forerunner

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeanK22)
    Garmin 705 forerunner
    Something with HR, distance, speed, time...

would be ideal.

How much is the above product and where can I purchase it from? High-street, online..?

ReputationRep:
    Something with HR, distance, speed, time...

would be ideal.

How much is the above product and where can I purchase it from? High-street, online..?
    You would be better suited to one of the Blackburn Delphi models with cadence, wireless HR, speed, trip time, distance, etc for £ 40 which is extremely good.

The Garmin costs £368.99 for the road package with UK maps. It is worth the money if you can afford and are serious about road racing.

ReputationRep:
    That's out of the question tbh.

The Blackburn Delphi option I'll look into.

Thanks for the help

ReputationRep:
    Only worth it if you have a power meter too.

ReputationRep:
    rofl, out of stock :rolleyes: Will be available in store in 7-9 days time. At least I know 54cm is fine for me now. Did have a go on a 54cm frame for another bike, first time I've ever been on a road bike, and **** me it's so much different to being on a mountain bike, got to arch your back and lower your upper body so much lower. Completely different ball game really. Light as a ****ing feather too. It'll take me some time to get confidence on the road bike and get accustomed to it. Exciting times tbh :cool:

ReputationRep:
    rofl, out of stock :rolleyes: Will be available in store in 7-9 days time. At least I know 54cm is fine for me now. Did have a go on a 54cm frame for another bike, first time I've ever been on a road bike, and **** me it's so much different to being on a mountain bike, got to arch your back and lower your upper body so much lower. Completely different ball game really. Light as a ****ing feather too. It'll take me some time to get confidence on the road bike and get accustomed to it. Exciting times tbh :cool:
    If you have time you should go to your local (wealthy) bike shop who will have some top end road bikes - most around 6 - 7 kgs. These are scarily light (the bike you will have picked up will be about 9 - 10 kgs) - it feels like you are going to break the bike by picking it up.

Spoiler:
    Show
    not the weight of the bike makes a consderable distance - if you did the same hilly ride for an hour on both bikes outputting the same watts then you would only be expected to be quicker in the region of 12 - 18 seconds.

Some "fat" riders getting the lightest bikes - but if they fropped say 20 kgs then they would see improvements by minutes - as in 10 - 16 minutes which is considerable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeanK22)
    If you have time you should go to your local (wealthy) bike shop who will have some top end road bikes - most around 6 - 7 kgs. These are scarily light (the bike you will have picked up will be about 9 - 10 kgs) - it feels like you are going to break the bike by picking it up.

Spoiler:
    Show
    not the weight of the bike makes a consderable distance - if you did the same hilly ride for an hour on both bikes outputting the same watts then you would only be expected to be quicker in the region of 12 - 18 seconds.

Some "fat" riders getting the lightest bikes - but if they fropped say 20 kgs then they would see improvements by minutes - as in 10 - 16 minutes which is considerable
    My mum has a Specialized Ruby S Works Pro. It is ******* unbelievably light. It is absolutely incredible. I used to have a Carrera Vanquish, but outgrew it and bought a Specialized Hardrock. This was stolen the other day, so I am now back looking for a new bike. thinking about one of the Ribble Audax bikes......

EDIT: also, the 705 Edge is much better for biking than the Forerunner......

ReputationRep:
    I know which bike and price I'm going for now. It's my first road bike and so I'm simply not prepared to really splash the cash given that the road bike experience is so new to me. It already feels like I'm diving in at the deep end...but it's exciting times tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Gene_Genie)
    EDIT: also, the 705 Edge is much better for biking than the Forerunner......
    How do I type such things - the 705 edge was what I meant yet it somehow got converted to forerunner ( - I even have a 705 edge and I got the name wrong). EPIC FAIL

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 12, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.