Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I suspect (and have seen) many threads like this but I'm hoping somebody somewhere might be able to give me some sort of advice!

I'm about to enter my final year of an English Literature degree and am currently working at 2:1 level.

Previous to this I began studying German&Italian at Manchester University but couldn't keep up / just wasn't good enough...so dropped out after 18 months...
    In dropping out of Manchester I gave up my Translator career dream which had been an aim for quite sometime.

Now, I have no idea what to do once I graduate in any way whatsoever. All I know is what I don't want to do: teaching! This is often people's first suggestion when I am talking about future career options but I have done a taster course and it definitely is not for me.

In terms of going on to further study: I can't really afford it if the course was to be full time as I need to continue working to survive / bill etc.

I have been working in catering for 2 years and although I do enjoy this industry, I don't think I want to remain in it for much longer!

My main interests are creative writing, cooking, travelling, languages, animals & history/politics!

If anybody had any advice for me I would be extremely grateful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by discombobulation)
    Hi guys,

I suspect (and have seen) many threads like this but I'm hoping somebody somewhere might be able to give me some sort of advice!

I'm about to enter my final year of an English Literature degree and am currently working at 2:1 level.

Previous to this I began studying German&Italian at Manchester University but couldn't keep up / just wasn't good enough...so dropped out after 18 months...
    In dropping out of Manchester I gave up my Translator career dream which had been an aim for quite sometime.

Now, I have no idea what to do once I graduate in any way whatsoever. All I know is what I don't want to do: teaching! This is often people's first suggestion when I am talking about future career options but I have done a taster course and it definitely is not for me.

In terms of going on to further study: I can't really afford it if the course was to be full time as I need to continue working to survive / bill etc.

I have been working in catering for 2 years and although I do enjoy this industry, I don't think I want to remain in it for much longer!

My main interests are creative writing, cooking, travelling, languages, animals & history/politics!

If anybody had any advice for me I would be extremely grateful
    how about being a librarian? or an air hostess if you like catering, languages and travelling (a combination of three there). or a politician...:rolleyes: or you could be a vet, obviously if you like animals

any good?

EDIT: well plane food isnt that good actually (no so much catering involved) but meh :p:

and as a hobby to the side you could start writing books in your spare time...you never know where that might lead you...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anon the 7th)
    how about being a librarian? or an air hostess if you like catering, languages and travelling (a combination of three there). or a politician...:rolleyes: or you could be a vet, obviously if you like animals

any good?

EDIT: well plane food isnt that good actually (no so much catering involved) but meh :p:

and as a hobby to the side you could start writing books in your spare time...you never know where that might lead you...
    Hiya!

Thanks,

I used to work in a library so if I could get another job in one that would be great although to progress you need further qualifications these days!

I write a lot of stuff in my spare time that is published in small publications.

The air hostess idea is interesting but I'm a little worried about the low pay as I would only be earning as much as I earn now & progression doesn't look that good!
    EDIT: I am also too short (lol) for most airlines!!

Thanks for all your help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by discombobulation)
    Hiya!

Thanks,

I used to work in a library so if I could get another job in one that would be great although to progress you need further qualifications these days!

I write a lot of stuff in my spare time that is published in small publications.

The air hostess idea is interesting but I'm a little worried about the low pay as I would only be earning as much as I earn now & progression doesn't look that good!
    EDIT: I am also too short (lol) for most airlines!!

Thanks for all your help!
    you are welcome

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered the civil service?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fabulous_darling)
    Have you considered the civil service?
    I haven't but I don't think I'm achieving at a high enough level / at a good enough university?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 7, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.