Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I applied for a job as a sales advisor at Topshop/Man on Oxford Circus online and they just rang me.
    I passed the initial phone interview and they've invited me for a group interview next week.

Does anyone have any advice on the group interview? What should I expect? And how many stages are there to the interview process.
    They told me to bring my passport and NI number, that's a good sign right?

ReputationRep:
    Mine wasn't at Topshop but at River Island, I assume it will be very much the same thing though...
    Being asked to bring your passport and NI number is a normal thing for some companies and not for another. It was just used as a form of ID for River Island and then used if you did get the job, which I did. However, with another job I got at another retail company, they don't ask for this until you come on your first day. It all depends on what their procedures are.
    The group interviews are fun to be honest! They keep it non serious and you should make an effort to be out going and not answer your questions with the same answer as everyone else if possible. They get you to group and individual tasks.
    I was asked to describe my outfit (so wear something you can explain, doesn't necessarily have to be Topman top to bottom though because it makes you look a little too eager) and then sell it to another person there. I picked out my own outfit, everyone there went for an outfit for their own sex, I didn't and got noticed for individuality on that. The group tasks involved deciding what makes a good sales advisor, etc.
    However, the downside of the River Island interview is that the decision of who gets the job doesn't come down to the managers at your group interview but the people at head office!
    Good luck though, hope this helps even though it is about River Island

ReputationRep:
    Wow you're very lucky. All I can say is good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I love group interviews.

Just be out-going and confident, but not to the extreme. There is always that guy/girl that has a ridiculously overbearing personality and they never get the job.

Don't worry mate, you'll be fine. And the passport thing is common practice, it's just used as ID and to confirm your right to work in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you stand out but in a good way!
    Speak loud and confident

Its a lot more informal than a normal interview but relax and make sure you shine from the crowd

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 7, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.