Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Quinn Direct Car Insurance ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting a car in about 5 weeks ( maybe a Seat Ibiza, not even gone out for a test drive ! )... I've looked on gocompare etc. and rung a few places up and the cheapest is Quinn Direct. Comprehensive is around £1,400. The next quote is around £2,500 ! Is anyone on here insured with Quinn ? What's you experience with them ? Are they reliable, what did they ' offer ' you when you had a accident ?

I've heard that their prices are so cheap because their service is rubbish, but just want to hear from other before I get a car.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    What type of license if the quote for? I found they were cheap for a provisional but as soon as you pass it shoots up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NStocks)
    I'm getting a car in about 5 weeks ( maybe a Seat Ibiza, not even gone out for a test drive ! )... I've looked on gocompare etc. and rung a few places up and the cheapest is Quinn Direct. Comprehensive is around £1,400. The next quote is around £2,500 ! Is anyone on here insured with Quinn ? What's you experience with them ? Are they reliable, what did they ' offer ' you when you had a accident ?

I've heard that their prices are so cheap because their service is rubbish, but just want to hear from other before I get a car.

Thanks
    Do not go with them would be my advice.

Have you passed your test. If not then your quote will change drastically when you do.

My friend was learning, and it was costing his £80 a month, but once he passed they want £240 a month!

Plus, they are based in Ireland I think, which may mean service could be slow if you need to claim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LJBzzz)
    Do not go with them would be my advice.

Have you passed your test. If not then your quote will change drastically when you do.

My friend was learning, and it was costing his £80 a month, but once he passed they want £240 a month!

Plus, they are based in Ireland I think, which may mean service could be slow if you need to claim.
    I passed my test about 3 months ago. The quote was for doing 8,000 miles a year, no pass plus, Myself as the only driver, Car value £4,000. I'm 19 in November...

It sound like it might be a bit disappointing then ... But other insurers want well over £2K ! Rip Off !

ReputationRep:
    I'm with them, never had to claim although in all honesty they're probably a pile of ***** when it comes to that judging by what the internet says, however they're cheap and it's my first year driving so I thought I'd save the money.

Biggest bonus being insured third party on other peoples' cars and that's with me just having a TPFT Policy.

ReputationRep:
    Are you male or female? The cheapest I found was Diamond but its for females only.

ReputationRep:
    Im with quinn. Im 3rd part fire and theft and my insurance is just over £500.

However when I renew it in december im sure the lovely credit crunch will add a couple of hundred to that. Sigh!

P.S thats with 4 years no claims, however my first ever insurance quote was just over £700.

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    I have insurance with them (Quinn Ireland) and they're not a good ensurer to be with when you actually crash and are involved in a dispute...

But if you want the bare minimum (an insurance disc) so you dont get into bother with the Police, by all means........

ReputationRep:
    I am on a provisional license at the moment, and it's just under £65 a month. However when I enquired about when I pass my test, it shot up to around £3000 a year.. whereas Direct Line was just over £1000!

ReputationRep:
    from what i remember about this company is as soon as you pass your test they put up the insurance, so do a quote for after you've passed your test.

but if you've passed your test which you probably have if your buying a seat... I've heard they're pretty awful, bad communication, not paying out etc. Check google for reviews.

ReputationRep:
    Spot on everyone. Quinn rack up the prices as soon as you pass. Direct Line are excellent. Highly recommended.

ReputationRep:
    the best quote i have is from churchill - fully comp to as well. Keep doing quotes as well some days its cheaper than others!

ReputationRep:
    I passed my test about 3 months ago. The quote was for doing 8,000 miles a year, no pass plus, Myself as the only driver, Car value £4,000. I'm 19 in November...

It sound like it might be a bit disappointing then ... But other insurers want well over £2K ! Rip Off !
    Well its really upto you im afraid. But I must warn you that there is usually a reason why a price for one thing is cheaper at one place than another

One reason to be cautious is that insurers will not price match Quinn Direct. Also Quinn Direct trade directly over the internet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rian1988)
    What type of license if the quote for? I found they were cheap for a provisional but as soon as you pass it shoots up.
    This.
    I was on just under £1000 as a learner and since I passed it's gone up to nearly £1300. I only had 2 months before it had to be renewed so I was paying nearly £400 for those 2 months

ReputationRep:
    They quoted me £409 but I had read a few bad reviews so I was dubious but my best friend is with them and she had a little bump the other year and she said they were great so I thought I'd give them a go. They were quick with my paperwork and I am a provisional at the moment but I only wanted insurance for about 2 weeks until my test (which was cancelled - grr!) and if it does go up when I pass then I'll find someone else. But my friend said when she passed she rang them up and charged her £40 to change it and that was it.

ReputationRep:
    Direct line.

Every time.

I realise this doesn't answer your question but it needs to be said.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know whether you've got your insurance or not yet, but..... I rang up Quinn today to cancel my insurance with them as I passed my driving test, and they kept telling me that it'll be an extra £750 (on top of the £65 a month I've been paying) now I've passed and they'll just change it over. I repeatedly told them I was cancelling it and going with another company but the woman just wouldn't accept it, so I put a parent on the phone who said pretty much what I said, and that why would I choose to pay ~£1500 for 3rd party insurance only when I can get fully comp with another company including legal cover etc for just over £1000. Eventually they understood, and said I might owe them money (I mean why didn't they actually know whether I do or not?!) and I also lose my 8 months no claims.

Also, I rang my bank up to make sure the direct debit was cancelled, and even the person I spoke to there said be careful with the cancellation charges with Quinn because they're skyhigh and how they'd seen a lot of bad reviews in the past week.

ReputationRep:
    I just got quoted £6000 for a 9 year old 1.2 litre car (no pts/claims, pass plus etc.) The guy said they'd been having some bad experiences with newly passed drivers recently... but that's like 5 times the amount of my best quote... :O

ReputationRep:
    I agree about the cheap provisional price but then it shoots up when you pass. When that happened to me I was driving a 1.0L rover metro as a named driver on my mums policy (cheaper, but i was paying for it) and it went from 35 a month to about 45 a month. Thats with my mum having no no claims, as she kept that with her car and her insurance provider. When i bought my second car, i got my own policy, no no claims, pass plus, on a 1.25L and i was paying £68 - I just got my first year no claims, and im now paying £42 a month, which i was quite surprised by such a large drop! Never made a claim though...

Edit: I also have 3 points

ReputationRep:
    hey, im now 19 and have been with quinn for 2 and a half years they give a properly good quote and you can haggle them down quite often... im paying 900 pounds for a 1.6 civic... also if the car is worth anything under 4000 and you are third party fire and theft chances are its gona work out cheaper for you in the long run to be quiet anyway (assuming your the only one involved, and if your not its the other persons problem dealing with them!) when i passed my test the transition was cheap, but call on the day of you passing and check anyway (with any insurer)... ive found that no claims is the important thing to keep it down... also have parents as named driver on YOUR policy, they prefer it that way round and drops by unto 500 pounds

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.