Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am going to be studying my A-levels in September and would like some advice about the subjects i'm taking! I want to take Eng Lit,History,Biology and phycology but when ever tell someone i'm thinking of taking biology they say it'll be a bad mistake as it's so hard! Is it really that bad?? xx

I found it very easy. My other two were chemistry and french. What do people think is hard about biology, have they said??

ReputationRep:
    Bad? I don't understand.

ReputationRep:
    History is a thousand million times harder than Biology.
    Everyone I know hated English Lit.
    But no, enjoy

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut:
    why the hell would Biology be harder than other subjects? Thats way to broad a statement to make
    I think they probably meant just a lot of content to cover, but all you need to do is revise like any other subject.

ReputationRep:
    Thats exactly what i took =D Biology, Eng lit an Psychology and enjoyed all three! Bio is a challenge but not too hard, jus lot of concepts to learn. i enjoyed it so much im doin it at uni =P

ReputationRep:
    i took:
    f.math
    biology
    chemistry
    physics
    math

goin to drop biology - its ****** annoying - its ok the first bits
    but towards the end you start doing biodiversity and conservation which is alot of bull imo

its not hard, but alot of stuff to remember, plus key words - its not so much knowing the content, the most important thing is knowing how to answer the questions with key words as such, somequestions are not straightforward especially in OCR(new spec)

i wish i hadnt done it for AS, but did Economics instead

but if you like that kinda stuff, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lil' Flo)
    i took:
    f.math
    biology
    chemistry
    physics
    math

goin to drop biology - its ****** annoying - its ok the first bits
    but towards the end you start doing biodiversity and conservation which is alot of bull imo

its not hard, but alot of stuff to remember, plus key words - its not so much knowing the content, the most important thing is knowing how to answer the questions with key words as such, somequestions are not straightforward especially in OCR(new spec)

i wish i hadnt done it for AS, but did Economics instead

but if you like that kinda stuff, good luck!
    lol I'm guessing you're the type of person who finds regurgitating info easier than using it to answer q's

ReputationRep:
    Thoroughly research your psychology course before you take it, if you can; also, find out which textbook you'll be using (also, if you can, before the start of term) and browse through it (if available) in a book shop or something. I wish I'd done that because the discrepancy between what the teacher told me it'd be like, and what it actually was like, was monumental. I hated every minute of my psychology AS and shall be overjoyed to drop it. :P And while the content throughout the course is easy enough, the exams aren't quite as nice.

I can't give any info about biology though; I didn't take it, but I did take your other three subjects. For me, history was the hardest by far; English lit was very enjoyable (do you know which exam board you're on?) and, well, I've discussed the other above. :P

ReputationRep:
    Yes, yes it is! I took all 5 sciences and found Biology to be the *****iest subject of them all. Theories fine - easypeasy, but the exams.....I swear half the exam relied on common sense rather than knowledge or application of the subject, and I have no common sense. If I had common sense, I probably wouldn't be very good at maths.

Basically- if you have common sense, great go for it!, otherwise stay well away. Chemistry and statistics also rely a little bit on common sense....

ReputationRep:
    Biology is the hardest science. It depends on the exam board though. Some boards are much easier, some are impossiblee.

ReputationRep:
    I found it the easiest of the courses I studied (Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Geography). It was simply remember what gets you the marks and regurgitate on demand with a bit of common sense. If you're good at remembering biological processes, you've got it made.

I have a good mind for remembering facts and processes though, so that helped a lot. I liked how in explaining processes the first step led to the second step led to the third step etc., so as long as I knew the first step it could all lead from there. I much prefer the facts of biology to the maths and equations of chemisty and physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lnwn)
    lol I'm guessing you're the type of person who finds regurgitating info easier than using it to answer q's
    well, i can do both well,
    remembering info is easier ofcourse for me, (tryin not to be big headed) because i tend to remember things well
    but i also like to figure stuff out, like some aspects of math where u use bog satndards methods in a different way than you have ever been taught

its just that some of the questions in that OCR spec where very vague, and your like, wtf!?!!?
    you think the ques. is asking for one thing, but the mark scheme is goin off on a totally different tangent

sorry for the rants though

ReputationRep:
    biology is easy. Much easier than the other sciences - its more remembering than understanding (relative to the other sciences)

vry easy but still probably the hardest out of your options

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lil' Flo)
    well, i can do both well,
    remembering info is easier ofcourse for me, (tryin not to be big headed) because i tend to remember things well
    but i also like to figure stuff out, like some aspects of math where u use bog satndards methods in a different way than you have ever been taught

its just that some of the questions in that OCR spec where very vague, and your like, wtf!?!!?
    you think the ques. is asking for one thing, but the mark scheme is goin off on a totally different tangent

sorry for the rants though
    i understand :yes: its actually the way how the question is set which is hard, you don't actually know what they want you to explain or use whereas chemistry is straight forward

ReputationRep:
    I liked Biology =) I reserve this space however until after results :rolleyes: biodiversity and conservation I swear weren't taught, or at least not in detail. Was a bugger.....
    But I really enjoyed Biology, Chemistry and Psychology are definitely harder, take both and both require more discipline academically.
    There are alot of theories and concepts (don't know about common sense) to remember, but once you have and you sit your exam you start thinking "How the hell did I know that?" it just comes out....

ReputationRep:
    People saying it's bad are ********, I've just done A2 Chem, Maths and Bio. Bio by far took the most work, there was just so much to cover. The worst thing is probably that it's so broad a subject so there will be something that you don't enjoy, for me it was biodiversity and ecology in general.
    It's only difficult if you don't put the work in, as with any other subject, but Biology is one of the hardest subjects to blagg any marks

ReputationRep:
    Biology was so easy at AS, then at A2 it got ridiculously hard

ReputationRep:
    Biology as a subject isn't too hard (at least at AS), the problem is the picky mark scheme! If you don't include a certain word you don't get the marks. Gah. And there's so much covered in so little time. My advice would be start revising from the start.

ReputationRep:
    I actually can't remember what was in the AS OCR(new) Bio exam........
    any help? If I won't remember I'll be thinking about it for then next month!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.