Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Let me give you some advice ,if you liked biology at gcse and generally have an interest in it ..take the subject. I guess you'll find it easier to do well in it if you have a geniune interest in it.

Personally I found biology hard. I did edexcel biology, but not that it makes a difference ,but I only took it at as level because:

I did well at gcse and thought it would look good to say I did biology
    Another subject I wanted to do was clashing and my head of year said that I shouldn't take sociology along with psychology because the subjects are similar.
    I had completely no idea what I wanted to do and I thought doing biology would complement geography.

Needless to say the main reason why I found it hard was because I had no interest in it ...I found it boring..really boring.

So the moral of this story is take a subject that you are interested in and I guarentee that you will have a better chance of doing well in it.

ReputationRep:
    You have to be very specific in how you answer questions, very specific and there is a lot to cover. Apart from that though its not hard at all as I find it easier to understand the concepts than in chemistry. ( I probably just shot myself in the foot but oh well...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missaphrodite)
    History is a thousand million times harder than Biology.
    You must be joking right?

There is no comparison between a 'real' pure science subject and a doss subject.

ReputationRep:
    Let me give you some advice ,if you liked biology at gcse and generally have an interest in it ..take the subject. I guess you'll find it easier to do well in it if you have a geniune interest in it.

Personally I found biology hard. I did edexcel biology, but not that it makes a difference ,but I only took it at as level because:

I did well at gcse and thought it would look good to say I did biology
    Another subject I wanted to do was clashing and my head of year said that I shouldn't take sociology along with psychology because the subjects are similar.
    I had completely no idea what I wanted to do and I thought doing biology would complement geography.

Needless to say the main reason why I found it hard was because I had no interest in it ...I found it boring..really boring.

So the moral of this story is take a subject that you are interested in and I guarentee that you will have a better chance of doing well in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geek1233)
    I am going to be studying my A-levels in September and would like some advice about the subjects i'm taking! I want to take Eng Lit,History,Biology and phycology but when ever tell someone i'm thinking of taking biology they say it'll be a bad mistake as it's so hard! Is it really that bad?? xx
    I'm taking exactly the same subjects as you :yes: I'm thinking of dropping Biology in the second year of sixth form, but I dunno yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lnwn)
    i understand :yes: its actually the way how the question is set which is hard, you don't actually know what they want you to explain or use whereas chemistry is straight forward
    yeah - the old spec questions, i found were better
    the new spec specimen paper was impossible - everyone failed that lol

i liked/like chemistry, i found it more challenging/rewarding than the rest of my AS subjects:yes: , plus i studied for it more intensely than others, the rest wer basically maths:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toxik_apple)
    I actually can't remember what was in the AS OCR(new) Bio exam........
    any help? If I won't remember I'll be thinking about it for then next month!
    some stuff about vultures in the longer paper

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    i took history, english lit, biology, physics and geography
    and out of the two sciences i took physics was by far the hardest. The general feeling in my year was that although we had been told biology was the easiest out of all them, chemistry and physics were much harder. I know many people that took all three and found chemistry the hardest, and they were certainly excellant at it at GCSE.
    If you have an interest in biology, definitely take it. I liked it but wasn't sure and now i am considering it at university.

ReputationRep:
    Biology described in 6 words:

Piss at AS, Harder at A2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lil' Flo)
    some stuff about vultures in the longer paper
    Lol that was funny! White backed vultures. In a previous one it was rhinos or something, with the same questions...everyone found that hard, I just used common sense there tbh.
    What else was there? I'll rip my hair out by the end of the day if I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    I found biology was considerably more hard work than chemistry, BUT alot lot lot lot lot easier than Physics!

Chemistry if you have half a brain you will be fine buuuut with Biology you have so damn much to cover!! It takes 1 week minimum to revise for a module of biology, whereas I found chemistry could be wrapped up in a couple of days!

ReputationRep:
    i did maths bio and psychology, biology is really interesting and therefore easy to learn (except for ecology, that pile of **** was ridiculous, but thats A2 so no need to worry yet), and you just have to get the exam technique down and it's fine, easy even.
    Psychology is easy as poo, its just memorising model essays for the exam, granted there are like 50 possible essays to come up, but still, its just memory :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toxik_apple)
    Lol that was funny! White backed vultures. In a previous one it was rhinos or something, with the same questions...everyone found that hard, I just used common sense there tbh.
    What else was there? I'll rip my hair out by the end of the day if I don't know.
    yeah, it annoyed me - i dont give two ***** about the vultures in india haha
    its the only bit i can remember cause it angered me

oh yeah the rhino stuff was in the specimen paper, which everyone failed

i think i only half answered the vulture question - the rest of the paper i assume was ok (i hope)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah....took me two weeks to revise for biology, (two units), two weeks for Psychology (so goddam much stuff!) and a few days for chemistry.
    I agree with shaz111

ReputationRep:
    one question was on genetics of chickens :s which confused me lots as it asked which chicken would breed to produce pattern egg with coloured feathers and a weird tail ?! i was literally killed by that puzzle of a question....

ReputationRep:
    syllabus changed since when I did it but I found it harder than chem and physics, mainly due to picky mark schemes.

ReputationRep:
    Mark Scheme + the sheer amount of crap they want you to know made it hard for me. I have a rubbish memory and I can't do past papers without ripping them up.

I'm sure you'll be fine :awsome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lil' Flo)
    yeah, it annoyed me - i dont give two ***** about the vultures in india haha
    its the only bit i can remember cause it angered me

oh yeah the rhino stuff was in the specimen paper, which everyone failed

i think i only half answered the vulture question - the rest of the paper i assume was ok (i hope)
    Haha I think we all got D's in the specimen :cool:

HA!!! I remember, ,,,, malaria?
    or was that an A2 spec question? i did those as well without realising lol.

ReputationRep:
    as long as you have a decent memory biology isnt so bad at all tbh. saying that havent got my results yet!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lnwn)
    i hated pschology, dont take it unless you just want to read case studies all lesson, biology was easy i didnt revise or turn up to lessons much and got a C so i resat two or three exams to pull it up to a B, biology is for those who can analyse and use info and not for those who just regurgitate info, as i know lots of people who got A's in physics and chemistry yet get C's in biology which makes me lol
    You are badly mistaken if you genuinely think phys/chem require regurgitation and biology is all about analysis - it's the exact opposite in my experience.

OP: Biology was easy in that it required no Thinking whatsoever whereas other sciences are all about applying knowledge to the question. We all got away with basically memorising the textbook. In chem/phys that didn't help.

Do Bio, it's fine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.