Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Student accommodation - too much? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, just a quick question, how do you actually survive at uni? :p:

Just been looking at the figures and found...

Maintenance Loan - Paid directly to you £3564 (per year)

Accommodation at Durham (place I want to study) is about £4500

Thats a £1,000 shortfall each year :l

Although this does include food.

Still, how can there be a £1,000 shortfall!?!?! :eek3:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    you save and/or get a job.

/thread

ReputationRep:
    Thats how it is for a lot of people i'm afraid.

Thats why people tend to save up money beforehand, have overdrafts and get jobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The-Wi$e-One)
    you save and/or get a job.

/thread
    I know but how is that fair when others just get grants

I wouldn't care about the grants if the maintenance loan actually covered the cost of maintenance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThemThereEyes)
    Thats how it is for a lot of people i'm afraid.

Thats why people tend to save up money beforehand, have overdrafts and get jobs.
    Its comforting to know others will be in a similar position
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    i know i feel the same way, i'll get like a £50 grant from the goverment, meaning i will HAVE to get a job and save money or i wont survive. and no parental contribution. i think everyone should have a loan of the same amount. people shouldn't get grants based on parents income as it isn't the parents who are paying the loan back.

/rant

ReputationRep:
    I agree. The current student loans system is hugely messed up.

My Mum passed away last year and so my Dad has been supporting me on an income of less than 25,000 PA. That means I'm entitled to the full maintenance loan & grant. As a result, after accommodation, I'll have about £100-£150 per week to live on in London.

Someone else I know who lives with both parents will only have about £10-£20 a week to live on. His family aren't well off enough to support his education, just like my Dad isn't well off enough to support mine - we're in exactly the same financial situation, except he gets a lot less loan.

It's pretty mad, imo.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Original thread... we've never had the discussion about why some people get grants and others don't and how unfair it is...

*is determined to find an original thread at some point*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice_Queen)
    Original thread... we've never had the discussion about why some people get grants and others don't and how unfair it is...

*is determined to find an original thread at some point*
    That would be my fault, for which I apologise.

ReputationRep:
    i know i feel the same way, i'll get like a £50 grant from the goverment, meaning i will HAVE to get a job and save money or i wont survive. and no parental contribution. i think everyone should have a loan of the same amount. people shouldn't get grants based on parents income as it isn't the parents who are paying the loan back.

/rant
    It's easy for you to say..... some people from less well-off backgrounds would definitely struggle on the basic loan - a loan mind you that barely covers accommodation. I'm assuming your family is quite well-off seeing as you're only getting a £50 grant, which implies that your parents can actually help you out if you wanted them to or if they had to if you were struggling. On the flip side, parent(s) from poorer backgrounds could not support a child at uni even if they wanted to.

To the OP, i guess you'll have to get a job. Didn't you apply for the income assessed loan?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by --Dan--)
    That would be my fault, for which I apologise.
    OK, apology accepted, I forgive you :p:

Everytime I see an oft-repeated thread, I feel the need to say that.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 02mik_e)
    It's easy for you to say..... some people from less well-off backgrounds would definitely struggle on the basic loan - a loan mind you that barely covers accommodation. I'm assuming your family is quite well-off seeing as you're only getting a £50 grant, which implies that your parents can actually help you out if you wanted them to or if they had to if you were struggling. On the flip side, parent(s) from poorer backgrounds could not support a child at uni even if they wanted to.

To the OP, i guess you'll have to get a job. Didn't you apply for the income assessed loan?
    what i am trying to say is that why have grants, make that grant part of the loan, they shouldn't be exempted from paying it back becuase they are from a poorer background, after all it isn't the parents who will be repaying loan, it is the student.

ReputationRep:
    Parents help me make ends meet.

ReputationRep:
    what i am trying to say is that why have grants, make that grant part of the loan, they shouldn't be exempted from paying it back becuase they are from a poorer background, after all it isn't the parents who will be repaying loan, it is the student.
    Fair enough. I've always been baffled by grants, but that's just how the system is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coldfusion)
    Parents help me make ends meet.
    lucky bugger :p:

ReputationRep:
    It will be more than that with going out and stuff. If you don't have a grant, and your parents don't give you serious help, then you are pretty screwed. Ridiculous system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by --Dan--)
    I know but how is that fair when others just get grants

I wouldn't care about the grants if the maintenance loan actually covered the cost of maintenance
    but dont your parenst have to earn over 60k to miss out on grant?

if they do the theory is that they will give you money. I know its not always the case but I have been full time employed for 4 years so they base it on mine instead luckily

ReputationRep:
    Yes, the system is not great but do not even begin to moan when you are spending £4500 on accommodation...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evantej)
    Yes, the system is not great but do not even begin to moan when you are spending £4500 on accommodation...
    I have no choice, the accommodation at Durham costs £4,500 per year.

I don't really have an option, I could complain to them but the figure still stands, £4,500

ReputationRep:
    Could you not live a in a flat, which would probably be cheaper? Even my rent for the year won't be that much and I'll be in London.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.