The Student Room Group

Unsure about higher computing

howdy :smile:

I chose higher computing as one of my subjects that I will be studying in my fifth year. I got a 1 in every element in standard grade computing, and in general quite enjoy it. I've heard that it is unbelieveably difficult from some people who are going into 6th year? I started the course last term and found it straight forward. It looks like there are lots of facts to learn? If so, :smile: I generally excel in subjects that need lots of facts learned. So, is it really hard? and are there lots of facts?

Sorry if this is in wrong place or whatever, I'm new to this forum even though I often read threads :smile:
Reply 1
I haven't taken it personally but a close friend of mine did and he loved the course. He got a B in Computing. I wouldn't say its impossible at all.

If you enjoy it, take it. It'll be a long year if you take subjects that you hate. There is a bit of course work but aslong as you do well in that and study for the exam well, you should have no problem.

Don't be put of by people with Cs. This happens in every subject remember. Take it!
Reply 2
I struggled a bit with it but just found out I got an A for it :smile:

Tip: Work very hard on your coursework. It really helps to boost your grade.

All in all I wouldn't say it was unbelievably difficult. It's not easy, no higher is but It's not as difficult as some of them. Also standard grade will be useful to you as quite a lot from it crops up in the higher course, just a bit more in depth. Hope I helped a little :smile:
Reply 3
oh cool :smile: Thanks for both replies!

Yeah I heard coursework is like 60 marks worth? I'm quite looking forward to starting the course properly, some of it looks quite interesting.
Reply 4
I got an A for it, if you could do standard grade you can do Higher.

I didn't think it was that hard.
Reply 5
i got a B from it this year:biggrin: ....programmings the hardest part i thought but i really enjoyed it:smile:
Reply 6
Put it this way there was 4 of us ( 2 of which crashing the subject) who spent the whole year just playing online games. And we all got A's.

A good mark in the coursework will make life so much easier in the exam.

What optional unit are use doing ?
Reply 7
I reckon if you like learning the facts and got straight 1s at standard grade you should consider doing it. If you do really well in your project it will make it so much easier to get a decent grade. It can however be extremely boring. 15 people in our class got As and two got Bs.
Reply 8
It's not hard, I didn't do standard grade, I did crash higher computing a year early with half the classes and got an A.

It is easy if you revise, but it is also kinda boring - also if you do well in the coursework there is less pressure.
Reply 9
Yeh coursework is out of 60. I got 58/60 and that made going into the exam room in May a whole lot better for me. I got a 2 at standard grade so it is do able :smile:
Reply 10
Thank you for all the replies :smile: Bob, I believe I am doing the computing networking optional unit.
Reply 11
jackwka
howdy :smile:

I chose higher computing as one of my subjects that I will be studying in my fifth year. I got a 1 in every element in standard grade computing, and in general quite enjoy it. I've heard that it is unbelieveably difficult from some people who are going into 6th year? I started the course last term and found it straight forward. It looks like there are lots of facts to learn? If so, :smile: I generally excel in subjects that need lots of facts learned. So, is it really hard? and are there lots of facts?

Sorry if this is in wrong place or whatever, I'm new to this forum even though I often read threads :smile:

I think they are trying to scare you. Higher computing is quite simple and generally if you have a good base it is a lot of common sense really. I did Int2 instead of SG and found that Higher was actually easier than Int2 because they actually went into detail about things, thus meaning it was easier to understand a concept rather than just accepting it. Also i don't know what it is like now but the coursework is a hell of a lot of marks before the exam and is very straightforward. A little bit of programming and then we had a bit on recommending a computer and peripherals
Reply 12
jackwka
Thank you for all the replies :smile: Bob, I believe I am doing the computing networking optional unit.

I did this optional unit too, It's okay. I briefly scanned the other 2 and networking seems the most interesting out of the 3. I may be wrong though!
Reply 13
Nah, AI kicks ass.
Reply 14
911 bob
Put it this way there was 4 of us ( 2 of which crashing the subject) who spent the whole year just playing online games. And we all got A's.

That was pretty much my year, I was crashing it and my teacher let us play online games for the second half of almost every period and I still got an A :smile:
Higher computing isn't at all difficult if you've memorised clear definitions for each concept. Always seek clarification from teachers or revision books if you're finding that a certain definition seems to elude you when you're working under exam conditions. Some questions can be slightly ambiguous in that you aren't completely sure what they are actually asking for. This comes down to an in sufficient grasp of English more than anything else. I mean, how can someone know all the material contained within the course, but fail to understand what a question is asking!? With enough past paper revishhh you should be obtaining an A or a B with little fluster. Brevity in your answers is key for good time management. Good luck.
Do enough past papers and everything will go smoothly. It's pretty much one of those parrot exams where you just need to regurgitate definitions on a bit of paper. The programming is generally found to be challenging but it's only really because you've had little experience of programming up to that point.

Latest

Trending

Trending