Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Found out my resit is a lot earlier than I thought and I am still having trouble with a few concepts of my genetics revision. Seeing as lecturers are on holiday and/or unwilling to help I thought someone here might..

This is an example of the type of question I'm struggling to answer and appears frequently throughout my past papers.

From a screen for C.elegans mutants that show a paralysed phenotype the e1500 mutation was identified. The mutation was found to affect the unc-93 gene.

a) crossing unc-93(e1500) mutants with wild-type males gave only paralysed F1 cross-progeny. Approx. 75% of the F2 progeny of these animals were paralysed with the remainder showing wild-type movement.

Draw a scheme to indicate the likely genotype of the parental, F1 and F2 generations, and explain what sort of mutation e1500 is likely to be (25%)

b) You mutagenise unc-93(e1500) homozygotes to identify suppressor mutations, and identify two mutants - X1 & X2 - which show wild-type movement. IN BOTH CASES THE ORIGINAL MUTATION WAS FOUND STILL PRESENT. You cross X1 and X2 mutants with wild-type males.
    The F1 progeny derived from X1 are all wild-type, as are their F2 self-progeny.
    The F1 cross-progeny derived from X2 are all paralysed, but only 56% of the F2 self-progeny are paralysed.

You develop an antibody to the protein product of the unc-93 gene. The following table shows the results of the western blotting using different samples derived from the different C.elegans mutants.

Genotype Unc-93 detected
    Wild-type Yes
    Original unc-93(e1500) Yes
    X1 No
    X2 Yes

explain these observations and use them to explain the likely basis by which the unc-93(e1500) mutation is suppressed in the X1 and X2 mutants (75%)

I should mention that in part a) the part i don't get is 'cross-progeny'. The question doesnt state what the F1 were crossed with. I'd assume they were back crossed with the wild-type males? And if so wouldn't this make the mutation a recessive or dominant negative?

Cheers for any help

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.