Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

Im going to start playing the alto saxophone soon and need some advice.

Im looking to spend £500 or under, but could be pushed a little higher if needs be.

What type/brand should I go for? How do I tell if the sax is gd quality? Is there a particular saxophone that you would suggest purchasing for a beginner student that would last me a long time but also had a gd resale value?

Ive spoken to a local dealer in my area that wants between £500 - £600 but he hasn't shown me any saxophones yet. Is this asking too much for a beginners sax? What is a realistic price?

Also, I would probably move onto a tenor sax in the future but want to start at alto. This is why I would like to keep my options open when it comes to reselling the saxophone, as I want it to be a reasonably good investment.

Thankyou in advance

b

xxx

ReputationRep:
    Sadly that's not too expensive for a beginner sax.
    I think the best beginner sax is probably a Yamaha 275 but they've gone up a bit so if you could find second hand though that could be an idea.
    Other decent makes that are a bit cheaper will be the Jupiter and Selmer.
    The best advice is to get a saxophone player to go with you and try them out to see if they're playable and decent, or a clarinettist if that's not possible.
    It's a tricky thing buying an instrument but it's a good feeling when you get your own instrument.

however, if you're thinking of moving to tenor, maybe rent your alto first?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doublereedfreak)
    Sadly that's not too expensive for a beginner sax.
    I think the best beginner sax is probably a Yamaha 275 but they've gone up a bit so if you could find second hand though that could be an idea.
    Other decent makes that are a bit cheaper will be the Jupiter and Selmer.
    The best advice is to get a saxophone player to go with you and try them out to see if they're playable and decent, or a clarinettist if that's not possible.
    It's a tricky thing buying an instrument but it's a good feeling when you get your own instrument.

however, if you're thinking of moving to tenor, maybe rent your alto first?
    Sound advice here

also, don't be afraid to look for second hand saxophones

i think the Yamaha 275 would be a fantastic choice

it may be worth paying for a metal rather than plastic mouthpiece if possible, especially if you're looking for good overall quality to take you to an advanced level of playing

if you're serious about playing the sax to a high level, a good thing to say is that you want an instrument capable for use at around grade 8 exam level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurakate1988)
    Sound advice here

also, don't be afraid to look for second hand saxophones

i think the Yamaha 275 would be a fantastic choice

it may be worth paying for a metal rather than plastic mouthpiece if possible, especially if you're looking for good overall quality to take you to an advanced level of playing

if you're serious about playing the sax to a high level, a good thing to say is that you want an instrument capable for use at around grade 8 exam level
    On then mouthpiece thing; I'd say for a beginner it doesn't matte too much and the difference between plastic and metal is more for the quality of tone and style that you wish to persue. For a jazz or soloist I'd agree that metal is best for the bright clear sound, but plastic is also fine for a more mellow tone for classical playing.

A YAS 275 is perfectly suitable for grade 8 playing, I agree so if you looking in the long run and you have the funds, I really recommend it, and it keeps it's value quite well as it's popular. I started on that model and it was really lovely. :'( I miss it haha

PS: As a side to Laura, I got my new saxophone recently! I'm so happy. Now I just need to learn my scales. :o:

ReputationRep:
    Definitaly do this, and not just any, one who will know about them and knows what to look for. Wish I'd done that

ReputationRep:
    The yamaha sax thats been recommended is way out of my price range. I've had a quick look online and the cheapest I could find was £750.

I've also spoken to a local dealer about renting a saxophone and he was going to charge £60 a month with a deposit of £150 - so i think it would be worth purchasing an alto sax which could actually work out cheaper.

Is there any more suggestions with regards to make and model of sax?

thnx

x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beboo)
    The yamaha sax thats been recommended is way out of my price range. I've had a quick look online and the cheapest I could find was £750.

I've also spoken to a local dealer about renting a saxophone and he was going to charge £60 a month with a deposit of £150 - so i think it would be worth purchasing an alto sax which could actually work out cheaper.

Is there any more suggestions with regards to make and model of sax?

thnx

x
    60 quid a month to rent an alto sax seems far too steep. Doesn't sound right to me really

Have a look around, or even see if you can borrow one from your school/college or even your mates?

ReputationRep:
    Going away from the realms of what I definately know, other models you could try and seem ok (though I haven't tried them, don't hold me on it!) are the Jupiter JAS-567 or the Selmer AS700 Preulde which are both under 400 pounds I think.

ReputationRep:
    I can tell you not to get a Corton, like I have, the lay-out is old as the saxophone is even older than me and this makes it difficult to sometimes get the fingering.

ReputationRep:
    Thnx 4 all the great advice!

what do you think of a Trevor James Horn Revolution II Alto Sax for £649.00?

Does anyone know if this brand of sax is any good, as its not one of the big three?

Oh, and Ive booked my first ever lesson on wednesday and im gonna borrow a sax frm my teacher who may sell it to me - depending on whether I like it and the price. Im so excited!

ReputationRep:
    Ask your teacher about what are the best saxophones for beginners, as a teacher they should know and give you more than just the one they are trying to sell you.

ReputationRep:
    On then mouthpiece thing; I'd say for a beginner it doesn't matte too much and the difference between plastic and metal is more for the quality of tone and style that you wish to persue. For a jazz or soloist I'd agree that metal is best for the bright clear sound, but plastic is also fine for a more mellow tone for classical playing.

A YAS 275 is perfectly suitable for grade 8 playing, I agree so if you looking in the long run and you have the funds, I really recommend it, and it keeps it's value quite well as it's popular. I started on that model and it was really lovely. :'( I miss it haha

PS: As a side to Laura, I got my new saxophone recently! I'm so happy. Now I just need to learn my scales. :o:
    ah yeah good point actually, i totally agree coz in my last post i forgot to mention that i do jazz sax...hehe i guess that explains my bias towards a metal mouthpiece lol...i got up to grade 5 on both classical and jazz sax but after that i was so into the jazz sound i could make that i only took grade 8 jazz sax

congrats on the new instrument...i'm really impressed coz i'm in exactly the same situation having recently got a clarinet...like i'm getting aquainted with the notes by playing scales and using a team woodwind method book am hoping to get some jazz exam pieces soon...what kinda sax is it?

i asked about a metal mouth piece for a clarinet and the guy at the shop told me they're rarely available as they're so jazz orientated...this has made me more curious now though lol

so yeah OP, a plastic mouthpiece would be good to start with as you can always consider a metal one as you decide what style of playing you prefer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beboo)
    Thnx 4 all the great advice!

what do you think of a Trevor James Horn Revolution II Alto Sax for £649.00?

Does anyone know if this brand of sax is any good, as its not one of the big three?

Oh, and Ive booked my first ever lesson on wednesday and im gonna borrow a sax frm my teacher who may sell it to me - depending on whether I like it and the price. Im so excited!
    i've never played on this modle of sax myself so can't give as much of a review as i could with the Yamaha 275 but i'm under the impression that Trevor James make well respected instruments...i would imagine from the price that this sax would be a smidge, but only a smidge below the Yamaha 275 in which case i'm sure it would serve you well in playing the saxophone on a long term basis to advanced level

enjoy your first lesson i love that feeling of first lesson on an instrument

just to add, do ring a number of music shops to do a price check and always ask if they have second hand models available...the sax you've mentioned sounds really good anyways but just to ensure that you get as much as you can for your money

ReputationRep:
    ah yeah good point actually, i totally agree coz in my last post i forgot to mention that i do jazz sax...hehe i guess that explains my bias towards a metal mouthpiece lol...i got up to grade 5 on both classical and jazz sax but after that i was so into the jazz sound i could make that i only took grade 8 jazz sax

congrats on the new instrument...i'm really impressed coz i'm in exactly the same situation having recently got a clarinet...like i'm getting aquainted with the notes by playing scales and using a team woodwind method book am hoping to get some jazz exam pieces soon...what kinda sax is it?

i asked about a metal mouth piece for a clarinet and the guy at the shop told me they're rarely available as they're so jazz orientated...this has made me more curious now though lol

so yeah OP, a plastic mouthpiece would be good to start with as you can always consider a metal one as you decide what style of playing you prefer
    I'd love to do some jazz grades, I'm thinking of getting my alto to grade 8 but then doing a jazz grade or two on tenor sax which I'm not as into but still enjoy.
    Team Woodwind is really good. I learned alto with that book but learned clarinet with Abracadabra.
    The sax I got is a YAS 62 and I'm really pleased with it. It's made me practice so much more with is a good thing really but I'm neglecting the other instruments a bit :o:
    Clarinet is really good, I hope you enjoy playing it. I love the mellowness of it, really relaxing to play

I agree that OP should wait to see what style they want to focus on. I personally like Jazz but think I'm going to go down the classical route.
    But I do love Latin Jazz :love:

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to do some jazz grades, I'm thinking of getting my alto to grade 8 but then doing a jazz grade or two on tenor sax which I'm not as into but still enjoy.
    Team Woodwind is really good. I learned alto with that book but learned clarinet with Abracadabra.
    The sax I got is a YAS 62 and I'm really pleased with it. It's made me practice so much more with is a good thing really but I'm neglecting the other instruments a bit :o:
    Clarinet is really good, I hope you enjoy playing it. I love the mellowness of it, really relaxing to play

I agree that OP should wait to see what style they want to focus on. I personally like Jazz but think I'm going to go down the classical route.
    But I do love Latin Jazz :love:
    hehe yeah i still don't know which is my main instrument lol

i think because i prefer playing by ear than sight, from an early stage i was soooo won over by jazz...i love how learning it is often more about listening than reading

i think that sums up my musical, and indeed general academic style overall actually, i'm probably a better listener than reader

ETA: i think one of my most memorable Latin Jazz pieces was "oye coma va" for grade 1 jazz sax...good times

just as a side note, is the fingering on an alto sax different to the fingering of a tenor? i should really know that but i don't lol

ReputationRep:
    hehe yeah i still don't know which is my main instrument lol

i think because i prefer playing by ear than sight, from an early stage i was soooo won over by jazz...i love how learning it is often more about listening than reading

i think that sums up my musical, and indeed general academic style overall actually, i'm probably a better listener than reader

ETA: i think one of my most memorable Latin Jazz pieces was "oye coma va" for grade 1 jazz sax...good times

just as a side note, is the fingering on an alto sax different to the fingering of a tenor? i should really know that but i don't lol
    I'm struggling to pick mt first study as well. It'll probably be saxophone, but I love the bassoon so much haha :p:
    I'd love to be able to play by ear, I'm so jealous.

Ps. Oh and yeah all the fingerings are the same, but if you play by ear, the different keys of the instruments may put you off. I've played Sop/alto/ten/bari in my time and they're all easy to play if you've played another apart from Soprano which is just a bit horrible. Alto and Bari are the best by far though. :love:

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

Ive had my first ever sax lesson nd it was gr8! I absolutely love it!

But i still need a little bit of advice...

The guy i had my lesson with is also the one who is going to supply my sax. He's shown me it and it looks fine, but he wants to charge me £337.00. The make is 'parchment' and I've just typed it into google and seen an alto sax for £199.00 which comes in the same set that he's got (eg.strap, pull through, grease, case, reeds). I can also only find one alto sax under this brand name online. I'm afraid I didn't ask for the model number

Has anyone here had a 'parchment' sax? And if so would you recommend it?

And, with your honest opinion, do you think this guy is trying to trick me into paying way more than the saxophone is worth?

thnx

x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beboo)
    Hi guys

Ive had my first ever sax lesson nd it was gr8! I absolutely love it!

But i still need a little bit of advice...

The guy i had my lesson with is also the one who is going to supply my sax. He's shown me it and it looks fine, but he wants to charge me £337.00. The make is 'parchment' and I've just typed it into google and seen an alto sax for £199.00 which comes in the same set that he's got (eg.strap, pull through, grease, case, reeds). I can also only find one alto sax under this brand name online. I'm afraid I didn't ask for the model number

Has anyone here had a 'parchment' sax? And if so would you recommend it?

And, with your honest opinion, do you think this guy is trying to trick me into paying way more than the saxophone is worth?

thnx

x
    hmmm, ive not heard of this sax at all and i don't think you should part with 377 pounds when you could probably get a brand new jupiter sax for more money

i think youre right to be sceptical about buying the sax from this guy!

ReputationRep:
    hmmm, ive not heard of this sax at all and i don't think you should part with 377 pounds when you could probably get a brand new jupiter sax for more money

i think youre right to be sceptical about buying the sax from this guy!
    I agree here. Especially because I have never heard of Parchment saxes and Jupiter is a well known make.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all ur help!

I've decided to rent a sax from another shop near me. Its a Roy Benson alto sax and I'm gonna rent it for 3 months before purchasing it with the amount that I've paid for rent taken off the original price.

That means that I'll have enough time to see if i like the instrument and have my sax teacher see if its ok.

The end price is £299 which is affordable and will hopefully last me long enough to save for an upgrade!

thanks again

b

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.