Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    When do xmas temps normally start working? I've noticed a couple of shops looking for them already, but I really need work now. If I had to wait months to start it would be no good

I know each shop is going to be different, but there might be a round-a-bout time for them all.

ReputationRep:
    When I did it, I started my Xmas temp job in November.....
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    November ish.

What made you think Christmas temps would start in summer?

ReputationRep:
    Yer around November time.

Christmas comes around far too quickly these days.

ReputationRep:
    the waitrose christmas temp doesnt say a start date, it just says work until 24th december, so i was assuming it started now... does it not?

ReputationRep:
    When I was a Christmas temp at Debenhams the interview process was during October and then I started working in November.

ReputationRep:
    I think Xmas jobs start in Nov
    but can't you still try and get a summer job?
    go to jobseekers
    or just hand out your cv EVERYWHERE inc the places you know no teenager really wants to work
    like mothercare
    ha...two guesses where I work :-)

ReputationRep:
    a lot start september/october time
    most of the big shops/department stores etc open their christmas shop sections in september time so they'll hire from then onwards really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice_Queen)
    November ish.

What made you think Christmas temps would start in summer?
    Well I didn't think they would be starting right away, but I figured if they were advertising jobs now, it might be earlier than November.

Guess they're no good then, unless I'm still jobless in November :P

ReputationRep:
    At M&S I started in oct and in Boots I was a permanent but I started with temps in August.

ReputationRep:
    Late September/October usually. I started at WH Smit has a temp in Sept

ReputationRep:
    I know John Lewis and boots get Xmas temps from Sept/Oct maybe you could try there?
    I've seen quite a few vacancies for those online, particularly in London and other bigger cities.

ReputationRep:
    Usually around November time. Our place is quite late though and just takes the temps over the December period.

ReputationRep:
    I was a Boots temp last year and I started end of September.
    I did enjoy working at Boots however I do not rate their recruitment center one bit. 7 weeks it took me to get paid and I was doing full time hours. and when I did get my first pay it was wrong to the tune of 800 quid! Was a very unhappy bunny.

I think this year getting a Christmas temp job will be harder than ever with lots more people being unemployed.

If you are thinking about Christmas temping already I suggest make a list of all the places that take people on and check their websites or shop windows regularly or even go in and ask when they take people on for Christmas and if they will be taking on.

Places that take on Christmas staff:

M&S
    Debenhams
    Boots
    Superdrug
    WH Smith
    John Lewis
    Supermarkets (Sainsburys, Tesco, Asda, Waitrose etc)
    Card shops (Clintons, Birthdays etc)
    Phone shops (Carphone Warehouse, o2, orange)
    Argos
    Toys R Us
    Hmv
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by fudgestix)
    When do xmas temps normally start working? I've noticed a couple of shops looking for them already, but I really need work now. If I had to wait months to start it would be no good

I know each shop is going to be different, but there might be a round-a-bout time for them all.
    Yeah it is different, well Primark is anyway. I work there at Meadowhall store in Sheffield. We're currently advertising some Xmas temps vacancies now, if anyone's interested on here.

The full details are on the Meadowhall website:

http://www.meadowhall.co.uk/website/jobs.aspx

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 10, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.