Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Depression... watch

Announcements

Anon or delete.

In summary I've been going to CAMHS ever since I attempted suicide seriously last year August and for my self harm and my psychologist (sp?) said that I have depression.

So due to stuff I've only been properly seeing her since March because the lady I had before left and we've been doing this CBT thing.

Its August and I just feel that nothing has changed, I still feel the same way literally.

Should I just give up this CAMHS thing(I'm 18 in october so aint I gonna get chucked out anyways?) and go to the doctors for another solution or just stick at it because I don't wanna be wasting time amd it is kinda demotiavating too feeling that all this time dedicated to working with this woman is not really going well.

If you have questions then feel free to ask as my post may seem unclear.

ReputationRep:
    Best plan i think its talk to your psychologist about how you feel, CBT doesnt work for everyone but there are alot of different options out there for you, im not sure what the policy is about 18 year olds being under CAMHS that would have to be another thing to ask. If CBT isnt working for you, you can see what your psychologist suggests and then you may be refered onto something else from there.

Its important not to give up however there will be something that works for you out there.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you should give up, keep trying and have the attitude that it might work. If it doesn't, you might get referred onto the adult mental health services once you turn 18 and see what they say.

Well I'm seeing my therapist this Tuesday, so Im gonna speak to her. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Well I'm seeing my therapist this Tuesday, so Im gonna speak to her. Thanks
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    If they still feel you're in need of the help (and i think you'll agree you are) they will most likely transfer you to the adult mental health team. Which might not be the worst of things. Once your 18, trying anti-depressants could be a possibility, and used with CBT or some other counselling may better help lift the depression? I know it may feel pointless, but you have to stick at it. People can recover, it can just take time.

ReputationRep:
    Is CAMHS the same as the Community mental health team? If so, I'm fairly certain you won't be taken off.
    Is it possible to ask for a new counsellor/psych? Often you have to try a couple before you find someone you can get along with and open up with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lowrax)
    Is CAMHS the same as the Community mental health team? If so, I'm fairly certain you won't be taken off.
    CAMHS stands for children and adolescent mental health services. It vary from trust to trust. Some take you off the books as soon as you turn 18 other will wait till you finish school and some will look after young people up to 21. If they do take you off the books but feel that you need further intervention they will usualy refer you to adult services rather than just pass the buck to your GP.

ReputationRep:
    I used to have CBT but I didn't really like my councillor, so that didn't really work for me. I ended up just changing myself, I don't know how/ why I wasn't doing anything differently and I hadn't done anything I was told about in CBT. The jist of this is it doesn't always work. Also they won't chuck you out at 18, I'm 18 and I still go to see the phsyc for check ups.

Ok guys a little update..

I went to see her yesterday and expressed how I felt (which was kinda wierd but yeah I did it) and she was saying that because I have a really low mood, this is whats preventing me from making use of the CBT, so shes kinda booked an appointment with the physciatrist (sp?) to talk about going on anti -depressants

She wants me to combine this with continuing this CBT, a bit of a shocker but I agreed to go to the initial appointment,its not really what I anticipated but thats whats been suggested atm.

Just a question if I do go on AD's because I'm 17 (18 in October) will my Mum have to know I'm on AD's?

Thanks and sorry for the long post. :P

ReputationRep:
    Ok guys a little update..

I went to see her yesterday and expressed how I felt (which was kinda wierd but yeah I did it) and she was saying that because I have a really low mood, this is whats preventing me from making use of the CBT, so shes kinda booked an appointment with the physciatrist (sp?) to talk about going on anti -depressants

She wants me to combine this with continuing this CBT, a bit of a shocker but I agreed to go to the initial appointment,its not really what I anticipated but thats whats been suggested atm.

Just a question if I do go on AD's because I'm 17 (18 in October) will my Mum have to know I'm on AD's?

Thanks and sorry for the long post. :P
    First of all well done for talking openly with your counselor. It may feel a bit wierd if you are not used to talking about your feelings but those professionals, no matter how good they are, are not mind readers. So the more honest and open you are about what is going on the quicker you will get positive results.

As far as telling your mum they are not obbliged to do so by law. However they will probably encourage you to be open with her. Do you think your mum will have issues with you going on antidepressants?

Good luck with your next appoitment. I hope that things will get better for you.

(Original post by belis)
    First of all well done for talking openly with your counselor. It may feel a bit wierd if you are not used to talking about your feelings but those professionals, no matter how good they are, are not mind readers. So the more honest and open you are about what is going on the quicker you will get positive results.

As far as telling your mum they are not obbliged to do so by law. However they will probably encourage you to be open with her. Do you think your mum will have issues with you going on antidepressants?

Good luck with your next appoitment. I hope that things will get better for you.
    Thanks.

Well my Mum doesn't like the idea of me going to CAMHS and she only found out everything because my previous counsellor broke my confidentiality after I told her about my attempt.

So I do think that she will have an issue, she keeps banging on about how I'm being used as some kind of guinea pig in regards to CAMHS

I dunno, I got rung yesterday appointment wid the physciatrist (sp) is on Tuesday so I'll just have to see how it goes

ReputationRep:
    Anon or delete.

In summary I've been going to CAMHS ever since I attempted suicide seriously last year August and for my self harm and my psychologist (sp?) said that I have depression.

So due to stuff I've only been properly seeing her since March because the lady I had before left and we've been doing this CBT thing.

Its August and I just feel that nothing has changed, I still feel the same way literally.

Should I just give up this CAMHS thing(I'm 18 in october so aint I gonna get chucked out anyways?) and go to the doctors for another solution or just stick at it because I don't wanna be wasting time amd it is kinda demotiavating too feeling that all this time dedicated to working with this woman is not really going well.

If you have questions then feel free to ask as my post may seem unclear.
    CAMHS never worked for me either tbh.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 13, 2009
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.