Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've just started completing my student finance applications and I remembered a conversation I had in college a while back that banks offer different perks for students who invest in them, so I wondered which bank is the best for a student?

I'm currently using Abbey, but to put it plainly, its *****. No perks of interest. Natwest apparently give you a free railcard, but what other banks are worth looking into?

Thanks very much :-)

ReputationRep:
    none lol, i have moved to natwest they give you loads! lloyds TSB give you AA insurance or something and money off CD's
    but i really do love natwest, they give you a free memory stick 4GB, free railcard (which can also be used as a student discount card!) money off laptops and loads more!

ReputationRep:
    Natwest are generally decent...nice overdraft facility. However, I think you need to 'request' the railcard. For a few people I know it isn't mailed out automatically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sulpicia)
    Natwest are generally decent...nice overdraft facility. However, I think you need to 'request' the railcard. For a few people I know it isn't mailed out automatically.
    You're correct about the requirement to request the railcard.

I had a look yesterday, and the offers are generally similar: When looking for a Student Account you should take in mind the overdraft facilities offered (and how long after finishing your course that they'll start charging interest on your previously interest-free overdraft)

For the 'free perks' bit, Natwest is the best... the Railcard will be useful for many applicants. Remember though, it's not about the gifts they'll give for free, but look at the best overall offer.

> Banks like to give some free gifts away, as they know that most students will stay with the bank that they have their student loan with. They know they're likely to make money out of you in the future, so giving away a £130 5-year railcard comes easily for them.

My advice would be that, once you've graduated; don't necessarily stick with your current bank, but look for the best Graduate account, and then also the best normal Current account: don't let a bank win you over for life just because of their free gifts they give you for opening a student account with them.

Overall: I'm looking at Natwest as a strong contender for my Student Account.

This Site may help

----
    There are other banks out there, but here are a few listed (links direct to their student account outlines)

Natwest Student Account
    Halifax Student Account
    Abbey Student Account
    Lloyds TSB Student Account
    HSBC Student Account
    Barclays Student Account
    ----

Hope this helps, C
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Barclays. Sure, it doesn't give the largest interest-free overdraft, but the quality of service I've found has been impeccable (just in general). Additionally, they're very generous with overdrafts anyway; despite not working or being at university yet, I've already a £450 overdraft.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.