Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

he said i only got the job because of my looks Watch

so i am incredibly pissed off at my boyfriend. i just found out a got a job in a corporate box at a football club, basically just being nice and friendly to rich business people.

at the interview, it all went quite well. i don't have alot of experience but he said he was impressed with what i had done. i'm a friendly person and i think this probably contributed to me getting the job. however, he asked me how my maths was because part of the job is collecting money for merchandise and i admitted that it was not too bad. i have an a* at gcse so it's not rubbish anyway. so he asked me quite a simple mental maths question and i got it wrong (!!) took me by surprise and nervous i guess. but he just laughed and said i would have a calculator anyway.

so when i told my boyfriend about the job, he basically implied i only got it because of how i look (blonde and slim with big boobs) and this is apparently 'what men in corporate boxes want, someone nice to look at and buy stuff from'. it wasn't said in a really nasty way and i think he may have thought he was giving me some kind of compliment. he just said i got the maths question wrong and have hardly any experience. which is true. but i'd like to think the man saw that i was capable and friendly and would be good at the job. i'm not an idiot.

and grrrr. he's really annoyed me by saying that. does everyone else on TSR think thats the only reason i got the job? i don't think it is. i'm a nice girl lol and i don't dress like a slut. so basically
    1. do you think thats the only reason i got the job?
    2. what do i do about my incredibly chauvinistic boyfriend?

ReputationRep:
    ok i can understand how your boyfriend saying that can be really upsetting. imo:
    a) a job like that is largely based on personality, you sound like you impressed the interviewer which is probably the main reason you got the job
    b) looks would also be important in a job like that. im not saying thats why you got the job, but its unlikely they would hire an 'unfortunate looking person'
    c) i think your bf was trying to compliment you but perhaps didnt word it correctly? tell him it upset you...make him buy you dinner to celebrate your new job or something!

p.s. congrats!

ReputationRep:
    It has been proven that people sell more if they are good looking so its unsuprising he may consider this as one of the reasons you got hired.
    It doesnt exactly sound like the kind of job you need an IQ of 200 for anyway so I don't see why you're bothered

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, congrats on getting the job!!

To be fair, they will be judging you on your looks, or it's extremely likely at least. After all, this is what these people want: good looking lass' to look at.

But of course you've got to be very polite and friendly too, and if you didn't posses those personal qualities, then they wouldn't have hired you.

Because you're handling money, you've also got to seem pretty level-headed, not dreadful at maths, be able to use a calculator and not give the wrong change to people.

I'm sure your boyfriend didn't mean to offend you and was probably trying to compliment you; don't take it the wrong way!!

ReputationRep:
    Yep you got the job cos of your looks, simple as that.

ReputationRep:
    Aw, try not to fret about it. At least you have the job. I guess you'll never know why exactly you got the job, but just be glad that you did! Maybe the interviewer did put the incorrect answer down to nerves. I mean you got an A* for GCSE maths, that says more than your inability to answer ONE question in an interview situation! And your boyfriend probably didn't mean to be rude, maybe he just said it in a really badly worded way?

Good luck with the new job

ReputationRep:
    Oh get over it, stop whinging and realise how the World works. Don't sound so naive.

Zomg... so you're friendly, do you think the guy would have given the job to a fatty? Of course you got in for your looks. It's nothing to do about acting like a slut, and you have no reason to be angry with your boyfriend who has a better grasp of reality than you.

How many uglies do you see as barstaff?

ReputationRep:
    So accept the compliment? You're turning it into an insult.

ReputationRep:
    So what if you got the job because of your looks - take it as a compliment!

Bit of a waste of a thread IMO.

ReputationRep:
    Looks would have contributed, yeah but I doubt it was the only reason that you got it. If you've got the necessary skills plus you're attractive then of course they're going to pick you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    .How many uglies do you see as barstaff?

Quite a few?

ReputationRep:
    im sorry but hes quite right.. i worked at harlequins up in the corporate boxes and all the female people i work with give me boners i.e. very very good looking.. and it is that way the company makes money because ive seen it firts hand where as the old men keep getting served and greeted by these beautiful women, they order more to catch a longer glimpse..

although you do have to be polite and have some maths skills, so really it isnt all on your looks..
    but well done for getting that job..
    and don't give your bf too much hassle..hes probably getting all big headed at the sound of it..

ReputationRep:
    You probably did.

ReputationRep:
    I think we need some pics before we can understand if that was the only reason

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you did get it because of your looks.

Though we need a pic to confirm.

ReputationRep:
    I guess in your world strippers get jobs because they're good dancers, right?

ReputationRep:
    my boss said I got my job because of my looks... Im a scarecrow

ReputationRep:
    How many uglies do you see as barstaff?
    there were a lot of ugly people where i used to work...in a bar...

Can you not see your boyfriend is upset about the job? I'd say being good looking does play a part in you getting the job, men want to have eye candy, not some slob offering food. Good looks attracts attention from men and makes them want to buy the merchandise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hana_87)
    Quite a few?
    Seconded.
    Although there are some venues where the barstaff seem to all be good looking, but I always thought it was more about the fact that barwork attracts young sociable people.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 10, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.