Turn on thread page Beta

he said i only got the job because of my looks watch

ReputationRep:
    Well, sadly not a lot of people are gifted with maths skills. Just be luckly you got looks.

ReputationRep:
    You should be pleased! Just goes to show good manners, wit and awareness are just as valuable, if not more valuable, in gaining an important job. I wouldn't take what your boyfriend said in a negative way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamitri)
    That's good, it was worth mentioning, though - some girls still have got a lot of materialistic expectations and a demanding attitude, so it's always good to mention how wrong is it.

I of course don't have anything against presents - I just don't tend to buy any for a girl, unless I'm in a relationship with her and I'm sure she's not gonna take the loot and show a clean pair of heels. So it has to be somehow "deserved", but of course we're not talking about a man-dog kind of relationship or something
    I'm glad we cleared that up lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simplicity)
    Well, sadly not a lot of people are gifted with maths skills. Just be luckly you got looks.
    luckly eh? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Oh get over it, stop whinging and realise how the World works. Don't sound so naive.

Zomg... so you're friendly, do you think the guy would have given the job to a fatty? Of course you got in for your looks. It's nothing to do about acting like a slut, and you have no reason to be angry with your boyfriend who has a better grasp of reality than you.

How many uglies do you see as barstaff?
    :rofl: You make me lol, you're so truthful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    Err... she got a job in a box at a football club. Her exam results have exactly nothing to do with it.
    She mentioned getting an A* in GCSE maths in her original post.

ReputationRep:
    Don't suppose it was Old Trafford?

Tbh in corporate places they don't just hire attractive people, they employ me and I'm a fattybumbum!

ReputationRep:
    Looks are a big part of how people do in interviews, it's true. But you probably impressed them with your personality and confidence too. They wouldn't pick someone who couldn't do the job, even if they were quite attractive.
    Don't love yourself so much :-)

ReputationRep:
    errrm he's right, they wouldnt have hired you if you looked like a bridge troll. why on earth is that offensive?

ReputationRep:
    Rich businessmen + alcohol + good-looking waitress / bar staff = lots of tips.

If you're so principled about it, then quit. Otherwise, put up and shut up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    so i am incredibly pissed off at my boyfriend. i just found out a got a job in a corporate box at a football club, basically just being nice and friendly to rich business people.

at the interview, it all went quite well. i don't have alot of experience but he said he was impressed with what i had done. i'm a friendly person and i think this probably contributed to me getting the job. however, he asked me how my maths was because part of the job is collecting money for merchandise and i admitted that it was not too bad. i have an a* at gcse so it's not rubbish anyway. so he asked me quite a simple mental maths question and i got it wrong (!!) took me by surprise and nervous i guess. but he just laughed and said i would have a calculator anyway.

so when i told my boyfriend about the job, he basically implied i only got it because of how i look (blonde and slim with big boobs) and this is apparently 'what men in corporate boxes want, someone nice to look at and buy stuff from'. it wasn't said in a really nasty way and i think he may have thought he was giving me some kind of compliment. he just said i got the maths question wrong and have hardly any experience. which is true. but i'd like to think the man saw that i was capable and friendly and would be good at the job. i'm not an idiot.

and grrrr. he's really annoyed me by saying that. does everyone else on TSR think thats the only reason i got the job? i don't think it is. i'm a nice girl lol and i don't dress like a slut. so basically
    1. do you think thats the only reason i got the job?
    2. what do i do about my incredibly chauvinistic boyfriend?

Big deal. You got the job, why on earth are you bloody complaining?!

ReputationRep:
    As a guy, to be fair on him, i can see so so so so many ways he didnt actually mean it in an evil way. The most likely one is he is jealous, but he didnt mean it evily, just jealous.

ReputationRep:
    are you serious?

youre boyfriend is right

ReputationRep:
    Oh get over it, stop whinging and realise how the World works. Don't sound so naive.

Zomg... so you're friendly, do you think the guy would have given the job to a fatty? Of course you got in for your looks. It's nothing to do about acting like a slut, and you have no reason to be angry with your boyfriend who has a better grasp of reality than you.

Bubbles is correct.

When at work we have people hand in CVs, generally the males get thrown in the bin (unless they are very good looking/smart) and the only female ones we keep are pretty girls. If your not good looking then no chance.

No need to be angry with your bf, hes right your wrong.

ReputationRep:

incredibly blunt and crude

but i kinda agree with that

there are supposesed to be laws, etc

but mehh, it doesnt always work like that
    considering the job you described, your looks plus personality definitely played big part

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cj-Tj)
    Bubbles is correct.

When at work we have people hand in CVs, generally the males get thrown in the bin (unless they are very good looking/smart) and the only female ones we keep are pretty girls. If your not good looking then no chance.

No need to be angry with your bf, hes right your wrong.
    Where do you work?

ReputationRep:
    More importantly, which club?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you're going to get shafted from behind when you and nobody else is looking, OP.
    Mm-hm, wear some trousers so he won't have easy access.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lil' Flo)
    incredibly blunt and crude

but i kinda agree with that

there are supposesed to be laws, etc

but mehh, it doesnt always work like that
    considering the job you described, your looks plus personality definitely played big part
    No there's not, you cant make laws about looks. I can think of a few bars which specifically advertise for good looking staff and require a photo before even offering an interview.

(Original post by EGjeff)
    x
    A bar in the West Midlands, but my place is by no means unique. Every bar and club ive worked in apart from one has had unofficial policies on looks.

ReputationRep:
    Take it as a compliment!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 10, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.