Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

he said i only got the job because of my looks Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    so i am incredibly pissed off at my boyfriend. i just found out a got a job in a corporate box at a football club, basically just being nice and friendly to rich business people.

at the interview, it all went quite well. i don't have alot of experience but he said he was impressed with what i had done. i'm a friendly person and i think this probably contributed to me getting the job. however, he asked me how my maths was because part of the job is collecting money for merchandise and i admitted that it was not too bad. i have an a* at gcse so it's not rubbish anyway. so he asked me quite a simple mental maths question and i got it wrong (!!) took me by surprise and nervous i guess. but he just laughed and said i would have a calculator anyway.

so when i told my boyfriend about the job, he basically implied i only got it because of how i look (blonde and slim with big boobs) and this is apparently 'what men in corporate boxes want, someone nice to look at and buy stuff from'. it wasn't said in a really nasty way and i think he may have thought he was giving me some kind of compliment. he just said i got the maths question wrong and have hardly any experience. which is true. but i'd like to think the man saw that i was capable and friendly and would be good at the job. i'm not an idiot.

and grrrr. he's really annoyed me by saying that. does everyone else on TSR think thats the only reason i got the job? i don't think it is. i'm a nice girl lol and i don't dress like a slut. so basically
    1. do you think thats the only reason i got the job?
    2. what do i do about my incredibly chauvinistic boyfriend?
    Hey at least people think your attractive.

ReputationRep:
    Who cares? You got and job and are apparently pleasing to the eye. There are worse things that could happen, you know! I think a fair few men do hire because of looks, seriously....

Would you rather be ugly and unemployed? lol

ReputationRep:
    You sound a little ridiculas tbh, the extent of this job consists of "basically just being nice and friendly to rich business people", for which you write with a straight face "I don't have a lot of experience" ehh come again?

The only test of your abilities was your "simple" maths question, which you failed, yet were still hired. Don't be so naive, step into any high-roller venue and all the girls are knock outs, it's no coincidence.

"i'm not an idiot. and grrrr...idon't dress like a slut"
    No ones suggestiong your either but save your frustration for when you are actually held back from a position that matters to you because of your gender.

Your boyfriend probabily shouldn't have said anything judging by how sensitive you are, and you certainly don't have the right to feel "incredibly pissed off at [your] boyfriend" let alone accuse of being "incredibly chauvinistic".

Just be grateful for getting the job, and look forward to tips your going to receive with which you should buy your boy something nice.

ReputationRep:
    Who cares? You got a job, I'm pressuming it's well paid. Who cares if you got it because of how you look? I wouldn't give two figs, personally in fact, I'd be flattered. You just sound like a petulant child imo.

ReputationRep:
    it prob was..whats the problem..?you got where you wanted in the end and if your looks potentially helped..who cares..?

ReputationRep:
    You've just got a new job...you're good looking...life's good...what's the problem?

ReputationRep:
    lol wtf?

what kind of retarded attitude is that?

"Make him buy you dinner" - someone's gotta be taking the piss here. "Make him"? :s

Man should buy a woman stuff when she deserves it. Demanding women should be told off, not necessarily very politely.

Sooooo sad... Seriously.
    woah calm down man...i meant to celebrate her getting a job, surely that deserves celebrating? you're like the anti feminist!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    so i am incredibly pissed off at my boyfriend. i just found out a got a job in a corporate box at a football club, basically just being nice and friendly to rich business people.

at the interview, it all went quite well. i don't have alot of experience but he said he was impressed with what i had done. i'm a friendly person and i think this probably contributed to me getting the job. however, he asked me how my maths was because part of the job is collecting money for merchandise and i admitted that it was not too bad. i have an a* at gcse so it's not rubbish anyway. so he asked me quite a simple mental maths question and i got it wrong (!!) took me by surprise and nervous i guess. but he just laughed and said i would have a calculator anyway.

so when i told my boyfriend about the job, he basically implied i only got it because of how i look (blonde and slim with big boobs) and this is apparently 'what men in corporate boxes want, someone nice to look at and buy stuff from'. it wasn't said in a really nasty way and i think he may have thought he was giving me some kind of compliment. he just said i got the maths question wrong and have hardly any experience. which is true. but i'd like to think the man saw that i was capable and friendly and would be good at the job. i'm not an idiot.

and grrrr. he's really annoyed me by saying that. does everyone else on TSR think thats the only reason i got the job? i don't think it is. i'm a nice girl lol and i don't dress like a slut. so basically
    1. do you think thats the only reason i got the job?
    2. what do i do about my incredibly chauvinistic boyfriend?
    Not that I know what you look like.... BUT, if you were a dog you defo wouldn't have got the job... PR is all image honey!! I work in PR-

You are there to be a bit of strumpet for the rich business men to fawn over...

Your boyfriend is only guilty of stating the obvious I'm afraid...

However, My problem with stuff like this is- why would having got the job for your brains/intellect mean more to you?? Both beauty and intelligence are both just things you were lucky enough to be born with, why does 1 hold so much weight over the other???

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 10, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.