Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Could someone please tell me if (-4)² is the same as -4² and the answer 16 in both cases? Are the brackets superfuous?
    Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fasto)
    Hi,
    Could someone please tell me if (-4)² is the same as -4² and the answer 16 in both cases? Are the brackets superfuous?
    Thanks in advance!
    (-4)² is -4 x -4, so 16, whereas -4² is - x 4 x 4, so -16
    I think that's right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    (-4)² is -4 x -4, so 16, whereas -4² is - x 4 x 4, so -16
    I think that's right
    This. It is definitely right

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!

This is really confusing me now. I'm not a maths student, I'm just reading up on some stuff because I find it interesting. I bought a big maths textbook that's supposed to cover everything, but it's kind of contradicting what I'm reading online.

I reasoned the same way you just did, but my book literally explains that if you have a negative base with an even exponent, the result is positive; if you have a negative base with an odd exponent, the result is negative.

It gives the following examples:
    (I'm writing a to the power of b as a^b because I don't know how to write the 'little' numbers beyond 2)

-4^2 = 16
    -2^5 = -32

This contradicts the above. Is it possible that my book is simply wrong!? Is this rule rubbish?

Edit: My mistake...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fasto)
    Thank you!

This is really confusing me now. I'm not a maths student, I'm just reading up on some stuff because I find it interesting. I bought a big maths textbook that's supposed to cover everything, but it's kind of contradicting what I'm reading online.

I reasoned the same way you just did, but my book literally explains that if you have a negative base with an even exponent, the result is positive; if you have a negative base with an odd exponent, the result is negative.

It gives the following examples:
    (I'm writing a to the power of b as a^b because I don't know how to write the 'little' numbers beyond 2)

-4^2 = 16
    -2^5 = -32

This contradicts the above. Is it possible that my book is simply wrong!? Is this rule rubbish?

Edit: This site completely contradicts what my book says.
    According to this, "But you could also square -5 to get 25: -5 × -5 = 25"
    I think your book, like a lot of things just assumes the brackets, and takes -4^2 to mean -4 x -4 (16), and -2^5 to mean -2 x -2 x -2 x-2 x -2 (32); so it's not really wrong, it's just not doing something in the correct manner (although a lot of other sources will also make the same assumption)

ReputationRep:
    I think your book, like a lot of things just assumes the brackets, and takes -4^2 to mean -4 x -4 (16), and -2^5 to mean -2 x -2 x -2 x-2 x -2 (32); so it's not really wrong, it's just not doing something in the correct manner (although a lot of other sources will also make the same assumption)
    This.. the book is assuming the brackets.

Experiment with a calculator...
    (-2)² = 4
    -2² = -(2)² = -(2²)= -4

if you have a negative base with an even exponent, the result is positive; if you have a negative base with an odd exponent, the result is negative.
    Again, the book is assuming the brackets.
    Even exponent [2]: (-1)² = -1 x -1 = 1 Positive Result
    Odd exponent [3]: (-1)³ = -1 x -1 x -1 = -1 Negative Result
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Your book is wrong to say -4² = 16, because -4² = -16 (as above). However, it is true that (-4)² = 16, and that (-2)^5 = -32. It's probably easier to write -a as -1 \times a, so then you get -a^n = -1 \times (a^n) and (-a)^n = (-1 \times a)^n = (-1)^n \times a^n. When n is even, (-1)^n = 1, but when n is odd, (-1)^n = -1.

ReputationRep:
    I would be very surprised if any book assumed brackets. The brackets are not optional.

-4^2=-16
    (-4)^2=16

What is the title of the textbook?

I suggest you input your expressions into a scientific calculator and see what happens. (NB Don't use a simple calculator as these don't understand the rules.)

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with this, brackets are implicit in the wording: a negative exponent, say -4, squared is (-4)^2.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.