Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How often do Universities drop their entry requirements and accept you anyway even if you missed out by 20 UCAS points for example? UCAS literature seems to imply very often but seperate University's seems to word it as rarely happening.

And how successful is putting your case over the phone if you have just missed out?

Answers to this will definetly put my mind to rest!

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the uni and the course. Oversubscribed places like Oxbridge and courses like medicine are unlikely to take anything below the offer, whereas i know a guy going in to Business at Huddersfield who got in with 100 points below his offer!

ReputationRep:
    As above depends on how popular the course if, if they have free spaces they will probably still take you but if they are oversubscribed then it's a no. Always worth a shot!

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for the answers. This has given me hope!

ReputationRep:
    I got into my course with one grade less than I needed, but I didn't have to argue my way in or anything, they just let me in automatically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoonosewot)
    I know a guy going in to Business at Huddersfield who got in with 100 points below his offer!
    Which asks the question why even have a set entry requirement in the first place.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.