Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Acceptable for a 21 yr old, almost 22 to go out with a 17 yr old?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    As per title really!

I like a 17 yr old girl but i'm 22 almost.

Is such an age gap acceptable?

Thx

ReputationRep:
    i was 30 when i was dating a 18 year old girl . sall deends on both your mentallitys

ReputationRep:
    Don't see why not. If you don't have a problem with it and she doesn't either, go for it. Different people find different age gaps suitable.

ReputationRep:
    yeah the age gap makes no difference, as long as your both mentally on the same age, if that makes any sense, what im trying to say is if your both mature about it and both want to get the same out of the relationship then i think its perfectly fine : )
    <3

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why not. I'm 17 and my last boyfriend was 21, and no one I knew had a problem with it.

ReputationRep:
    Providing the 17 year old can cope with it then it's fine.

If you're both gon want to have completely different lifestykes then there will be problems, but if not then don't let age get in the way.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's fine although when I was 17 and dated older guys, you're obviously a little more limited in where you can go. When does she turn 18?

ReputationRep:
    It's fine.

ReputationRep:
    Yet again, my time to shine......

22/ 2 = 11
    11 + 7 = 18
    The equation says no, unless she's turning 18 any time soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ps2mint)
    As per title really!

I like a 17 yr old girl but i'm 22 almost.

Is such an age gap acceptable?

Thx
    wait till she turns 18

ReputationRep:
    I dont think its a problem, its only 5 years.
    but if you're afraid about the age gap, look at it this way, if she;s matured then it wouldnt seem like u are dating a younger girl. and the relationship would prbbly last longer. but if she;s not then ..hahaha..u get what im trying to say right?. im rambling . lol. but seriously, 5 years is alright, to me at least =)

ReputationRep:
    If they act like a 17 year old, no it's not acceptable to be honest....... I couldn't date a 17 year old, my sister is 19 and I'd just be thinking in my head..... What if she met my sister?

18 +.... Don't be one of those sad guys who go around dating girls who can't even legally drink alcohol, not to mention it's sad when i see a 28+ year old with a teenager...

ReputationRep:
    No, it may not seem obvious but there is quite a difference in regards to age mentality.

ReputationRep:
    It's fine, providing you both can take criticism from onlookers, are mature and sensible about it.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say it's acceptable hmmm considering I know one of my friends is 17 and she's with a 32 year old... I know, we tried to tell her to consider what others might say but did she listen? No. Evidently... you should just do whatever you think is best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    Yet again, my time to shine......

22/ 2 = 11
    11 + 7 = 18
    The equation says no, unless she's turning 18 any time soon
    wtf's that? lol

ReputationRep:
    As long as you're both alright with it then I can't see that it's a problem. I know a 19 year old girl going out with a 26 year old...

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's that bad :dontknow:

When I was (only just) 18 my boyfriend was (only just) 22, we've been together for nearly four years and I'd say that we are on par maturity wise etc.

I don't think it's an issue unless you make it one. I mean, practically it'll be annoying dating somebody who you can't even go for a drink with, but if you can overcome that then I think things will be okay.

Maybe if she's really young looking/acting, and you are old for your age, then it could be weird, but really I'd don't think there's a great difference maturity wise usually. Especially as blokes mature more slowly than girls anyway :p:

ReputationRep:
    Generally yeah, I dont think the equation comes into it until a few years later or if the gaps bigger.

I.e I felt creepy around 22/23 having a 16 or 17 year old chat me up but was generally ok with it at 21, now im 26 I would find a girl under 21 kinda creepy.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, 17 is too young, 17 year olds piss me off. if i were 21 i wud say 18 is the minmum. 20+ is ideal if they are on teh same wavelength.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 7, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.