Turn on thread page Beta

Acceptable for a 21 yr old, almost 22 to go out with a 17 yr old?? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carlosb)
    wtf's that? lol
    T'is the equation
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/d/0...3ba0606868.png

ReputationRep:
    I had a 17yr old ask me out when I was 20. I felt really uncomfortable with the age gap and had to turn her down..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    T'is the equation
    Nice!

ReputationRep:
    My grandparents had a 5 year age gap and had been married almost 61 years when my grandfather died.

ReputationRep:
    T'is the equation
    ...and it means sweet F.A.

ReputationRep:
    The N/2 + 7 law is infallible!

ReputationRep:
    I'd say it's fine as long as you have similar interests and aren't bothered by her not being able to drink legally. I was 17 when I met my partner who was 21 nearly 22 and we've now been together over 4 years.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's fine if the younger person is mature enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    ...and it means sweet F.A.
    I agree to a certain extent, and I'd never use it as the be all and end all, but you have to admit it gives a reasonably good indication of just how wide (relatively speaking) a particular age disparity is, as a simple figure in years is unreliable (as five years is barely noticeable between a 41 year old and 46 year old, but very much so between a 17 and 22 year old)

ReputationRep:
    I agree to a certain extent, and I'd never use it as the be all and end all, but you have to admit it gives a reasonably good indication of just how wide (relatively speaking) a particular age disparity is, as a simple figure in years is unreliable (as five years is barely noticeable between a 41 year old and 46 year old, but very much so between a 17 and 22 year old)
    I don't have to admit anything. 5 years is 5 years regardless how old you are.
    The idea you can quantify something like "love" mathematically is utter nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    I don't have to admit anything. 5 years is 5 years regardless how old you are.
    The age difference is very much relative depending on how old you are though: most people are very different when they're 16 and when they're 21, but there's hardly such a noticeable difference between when a person's 50 and 55 is there? (for instance, no estimation of a 16 year old's age would put them more than a couple of years away from their true age, whereas a 50 year old could easily be seen as 10 years older and younger, showing how age differences become less important as people age)

ReputationRep:
    The age difference is very much relative depending on how old you are though: most people are very different when they're 16 and when they're 21, but there's hardly such a noticeable difference between when a person's 50 and 55 is there? (for instance, no estimation of a 16 year old's age would put them more than a couple of years away from their true age, whereas a 50 year old could easily be seen as 10 years older and younger, showing how age differences become less important as people age)
    You are of course, entitled to your opinion, but I think we'll have to agree to disagree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    You are of course, entitled to your opinion, but I think we'll have to agree to disagree.
    I suppose we will

ReputationRep:
    Go for it man!

ReputationRep:
    I'm 17 and my partner's 21, go for it.

ReputationRep:
    Girls are always aiming to look more mature than they really are and dating an older guy is a way of proving that. I have a friend whos just turned 18 and here boyfriend is 28...at first i was like what wrong with a guy our age and it looked like she was rushing her life a bit but i got to know him and he seems like a pretty cool guy

ReputationRep:
    If you like her I really don't see a problem.

ReputationRep:
    I think that's fine if you have enough in common.

ReputationRep:
    It's fine! aslong as it's a 17 years old female.

ReputationRep:
    From my experience 21 year old guys ect are just as immature as a much younger girl (eg 17/18) if not more so.

So yea, acceptable.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 7, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.