Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

What high salary type jobs (£80,000+) can I realistically pursue with an Economics undergraduate degree?

Or do I need master's too? Well, I am just interested to know the job types/careers with high salary. Money is my main motivation.
    Obviously I can't go into medicine with Economics Bsc

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Civil engineering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ndkathleen)
    Hi,

What high salary type jobs (£80,000+) can I realistically pursue with an Economics undergraduate degree?

Or do I need master's too? Well, I am just interested to know the job types/careers with high salary. Money is my main motivation.

Thanks.
    You do realise how small a proportion of the population actually earn 80k+?

ReputationRep:
    If you get to the top of most jobs you can earn £80k+

The highest paid newsagent owners earn more than some investment bankers.

ReputationRep:
    Oh right, but I'm not talking about highest paid newsagent. I mean median average salaries which are high in a specific career path

(Original post by marcusmerehay)
    Well, both my parents earn that but they are in medical field.
    Yes, I know it's small, but it doesn't mean you can't be part of that small proportion. Just like my parents right?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thanks.
    Nursing

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thanks.
    accountant
    economist
    anything else business related
    but a masters would help

ReputationRep:
    Well, both my parents do but they are in medical field.
    In a medical field you say? Does that make them 'farmacists'? :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    Good at maths (especially probability)? Maybe an Actuary? You need actuarial exams though. http://www.prospects.ac.uk/p/types_o...escription.jsp

ReputationRep:
    Investment banking is the most obvious with Economics...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Will7805)
    Good at maths (especially probability)? Maybe an Actuary? You need actuarial exams though. http://www.prospects.ac.uk/p/types_o...escription.jsp
    I heard maths degree level doesn't make i much easier becoming an actuary, someone took MSc at Warwick in Maths and still flopped the acturial exams, plus there is so many of them and the train ing is long!

ReputationRep:
    The bad thing is I read 90% of investment bankers earn just over £45,000 per year.
    Maybe another field is higher than that.

according to this website:
    http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/jobs/uk...t%20banking.do

ReputationRep:
    All the high paid jobs are boring to me...

ReputationRep:
    Set up your won business. Plenty of small business owners make very respectable careers. I know a guy who ownes a kebab shop on a council estate making 100k plus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    Nah, with an economics degree you've got to be pretty rubbish not to be earning that by the time you're 40-50.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sulpicia)
    Set up your won business. Plenty of small business owners make very respectable careers. I know a guy who ownes a kebab shop on a council estate making 100k plus.
    Best way to go in my opinion also, it's just having that entrepreneurial streak and a nice lump of cash to set you up...

ReputationRep:
    There no better job than investment banking. Your sallary will rise with experience, you are dreaming if you expect to earn 80k any time soon even after graduation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Webstersss)
    There no better job than investment banking. Your sallary will rise with experience, you are dreaming if you expect to earn 80k any time soon even after graduation
    sorry, I didn't say 'soon'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Webstersss)

A couple of the tip/top law forms pay 60k to trainees. I've looked at the intake, pretty much all oxbridge, all 1st class honours, and all very personable from what I've heard.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, am I the only one to assume that OP assumes that there is a field where 80k+ is base for a fresh econ grad?
    Edit: nevermind, the key is experience in any field.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.