Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How shall I get my hair done? Watch

ReputationRep:
    It is kind of midbrown and shoulder length and blah at the moment, not had it cut in ages so I either just usually tie it up in the day or curl it to go out.
    I was thinking a fringe but I dunno if I could pull it off. My hair is medium-fineish and has a tendency to go flat if I don't use volumising products, a cut that would help me get more volume would be great.

There is a photo in my profile.
    Ta!

Edit: do you think I could pull off something like this?

ReputationRep:
    Even though there is a bottle covering half your face =P you look like you could pull it off! Don't get rid of so much length though!

ReputationRep:
    yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polaroid13)
    Even though there is a bottle covering half your face =P you look like you could pull it off!
    Her hair looks quite thick though, do you think it would still work with my hairtype?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abhead)
    Her hair looks quite thick though, do you think it would still work with my hairtype?
    Its the fringe that looks quite thick - the rest of hair looks quite thin and wispy but still quite healthy. You could achieve those flicks by using a straighter or srunching your hair with some volumising products quite easily.

ReputationRep:
    It is kind of midbrown and shoulder length and blah at the moment, not had it cut in ages so I either just usually tie it up in the day or curl it to go out.
    I was thinking a fringe but I dunno if I could pull it off. My hair is medium-fineish and has a tendency to go flat if I don't use volumising products, a cut that would help me get more volume would be great.

There is a photo in my profile.
    Ta!

Edit: do you think I could pull off something like this?

Why would you want to cover your face with such a huge fringe? I think that trend would not work for you and yeh you do need thick hair for that kind of cut not to look flat and blah (even with product).

With so many short layers and fringe I think you would make the change, regret it (even if it takes a couple of days) then wait ages for it to grow out.

ReputationRep:
    Its the fringe that looks quite thick - the rest of hair looks quite thin and wispy but still quite healthy. You could achieve those flicks by using a straighter or srunching your hair with some volumising products quite easily.
    It needs to be thick to get those kinds of layers, theyre not whispy theyre feathered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennie1987)
    It needs to be thick to get those kinds of layers, theyre not whispy theyre feathered.
    IMO feathered hair does look wispy in a good way.

ReputationRep:
    Why would you want to cover your face with such a huge fringe? I think that trend would not work for you and yeh you do need thick hair for that kind of cut not to look flat and blah (even with product).

With so many short layers and fringe I think you would make the change, regret it (even if it takes a couple of days) then wait ages for it to grow out.
    So what do you think would suit me?

ReputationRep:
    IMO feathered hair does look wispy in a good way.
    But its not thin to look like that its thinned.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the main look quite like what my hair looks like when it has short layers in, if I use volumising mousse and scrunch dry. It is the fringe I am worried about.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the main look quite like what my hair looks like when it has short layers in, if I use volumising mousse and scrunch dry. It is the fringe I am worried about.
    Well i think you could pull it off, i also think you could easily deal with the layers but yeh i agree with you - it might be hard to get such a thick curved fringe if your hair is fine. Maybe a trip down to the hairdresser is now in order? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Well i think you could pull it off, i also think you could easily deal with the layers but yeh i agree with you - it might be hard to get such a thick curved fringe if your hair is fine. Maybe a trip down to the hairdresser is now in order? :p:
    I think thats what I'm going to have to do.
    Decided I might splash out on Toni and Guy as it is a complete restyle.
    I just don't want to show up with a photo and them be like "its not going to happen" and then not have a back up plan.

ReputationRep:
    Go for something much shorter...pretty girls look great and super-confident with a short bob, or Victoria Beckham type cut.

You could definitely pull it off.

ReputationRep:
    I think thats what I'm going to have to do.
    Decided I might splash out on Toni and Guy as it is a complete restyle.
    I just don't want to show up with a photo and them be like "its not going to happen" and then not have a back up plan.
    Well they would be your back up plan. :p:
    If they decide it wouldn't work then ask them to show you some examples of what would and see what you like.
    Or buy that hair magazine, I think it is called "Hair" and bookmark a few styles that you would like to have and see what they make of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pokergod99)
    Go for something much shorter...pretty girls look great and super-confident with a short bob, or Victoria Beckham type cut.

You could definitely pull it off.
    I'd think about it, but I got my hair cut shorter a couple of years ago and my boyfriend kept on mentioning how he prefers longer hair.

ReputationRep:
    Well they would be your back up plan. :p:
    If they decide it wouldn't work then ask them to show you some examples of what would and see what you like.
    Or buy that hair magazine, I think it is called "Hair" and bookmark a few styles that you would like to have and see what they make of it.
    I guess.
    I'm going to do some more internet searching first because I'm a tight arse and don't want to buy a magazine if I can avoid it :p:

ReputationRep:
    I guess.
    I'm going to do some more internet searching first because I'm a tight arse and don't want to buy a magazine if I can avoid it :p:
    Can't argue with you there.
    I would do exactly the same.

ReputationRep:
    Angular long fringe with long layers framing the face but not making it round by starting past the chin. This really works best with a mix of highlights/lowlights.

Similar with some layers around the fringe.

A layered youthful bob would look good, the first and third pic;

http://www.zimbio.com/Layered+Bob+Ha...ts+Bangs+Style

But if you keep it long you can do more with it even if you have it cut in with layers for more of a style.

ReputationRep:
    Angular long fringe with long layers framing the face but not making it round by starting past the chin. This really works best with a mix of highlights/lowlights.

Similar with some layers around the fringe.

A layered youthful bob would look good, the first and third pic;

http://www.zimbio.com/Layered+Bob+Ha...ts+Bangs+Style

But if you keep it long you can do more with it even if you have it cut in with layers for more of a style.
    I like the second one!
    The side fringe looks a ***** to keep in place though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.