Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically Iam due a check up and think something is going on with one of my wisdom teeth, So I reckon it's a good time to go. Now I have an NHS dentist who Iam not too happy with. And I really don't trust her to do anything too complicated as she bodged a filling up.Plus not be funny but some of the people waiting don't look like they washed for weeks. Has anyone been to a private only dentist and what is the differences in terms of treatment? I have heard you are more likely to get ripped off if you picked the wrong one but they apparently have better equipiment like lazers to do fillings and better pain control.

The bloke Iam looking at used to be Jordans dentist.

ReputationRep:
    I go to a private dentist back home and I haven't had any problems. I found I was treated more like a person there than as a number with the NHS. I haven't had a lot done but I don't feel ripped off. I don't think my mum feels the same either and what she can't afford for she just doesn't get it done.

ReputationRep:
    My dentist is very good, any kind of complex work / cosmetic isn't funded by the NHS so sometimes private is the only option.

ReputationRep:
    Why not just change your NHS dentist?

ReputationRep:
    My dentist changed from NHS to private but I couldn't be bothered to move, and glad I didn't - never have to wait for an appointment, personal, friendly service - the surgery is really modern and I feel like I'm getting the best treatment. Theres also not the same 'I've got 10 minutes to treat you and thats it!' which I get at the doctors.
    Its not actually that expensive - mine was free for under 16's and now gives me a reduced student rate

ReputationRep:
    I've used both and don't have a preference.
    I went private to have my braces done - On the NHS they wouldn't do them and it was an issue that was bothering me.
    I like my NHS dentist, but can see the benefits of going private. The place is smarter and the service is more friendly, perhaps a little OTT for me. When I first went into the private practice, I thought it was like going into someone's house. Compared to staring at the blank ceiling at the NHS practice, at the private place part of the ceiling is glass and I'm watching planes go over my head!

I do feel guilty when I go to my private appointments. I feel like everyone is entitled to the good treatment and modern surroundings.
    Though I understand why people go private. It feels like they will do anything for you there, because you are paying.

ReputationRep:
    I'v been to a NHS and private dentist and didn't see the difference.

ReputationRep:
    I have a private and I have just recently did work experience with him as I want to go into Dentistry.

I can understand the people who are saying the NHS are more rushed, don't have enough time, etc.

This is because NHS see around 25-30 patients a day whereas private see around 15ish.

Private do make more money because of cosmetic treatment and implants, etc.

OP I would suggest someone you are comfortable with.

If you don't get on with your NHS then go to private, it should be free for now while you are in Education. If not and you can't afford it go to NHS.

Good luck and remember to look after your teeth.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 8, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.