Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you say 40k a year is a good salary? What salary would you be happy with? Watch

ReputationRep:
    If you live in the real world but within the M25, with a family to support and a mortgage to pay, you would want more.

ReputationRep:
    can you get a good mortgage with 40k a year if your single

ReputationRep:
    I feel sorry for you students. Supposed to be the nations brightest and yet couldn't see the writing on the wall- Things that are rare are prized, the more common something is the less alluring or worthwhile having.

I was 16 when Blair announced Uni would no longer be free- I had pensioner parents and thought sod that- joined the Forces. 10 years later (after visiting many Caribbean islands, Middle East coutries and seeing Afghanistan) I left with a Foundation Degree in Engineering that was free (no loan) whilst being paid over £20k to study, after which gradually went upto £33K with almost Zero outgoings. Waltzed right into my pick of two £40k job offers in the middle of the recession.

Fortunately, at 16, I saw my older brother and cousins doing nothing with their 2:2 drinkers degrees. That piece of paper that would have cost me £££s, saddled me with debt, a left me with a CV no different from thousands of others. Had a look at doing a Masters as I got a couple of mortgages to pay and would like to boost my earnings, but they all llok like money making gimmicks. Blair realised the bulk of our education system can't compete with overseas. Like our manufacturing industry, all Britain has is historic prestige so it was best to milk the cash-cow for what it is worth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mstone12)
    can you get a good mortgage with 40k a year if your single
    Depends, I have 2- one is rented and one I live in.

what do you mean by good? How much are you looking to borrow and how big a deposit do you have? Go to moneysupermarket.com or google mortgage search and input the figures.

ReputationRep:
    Well, this year I'll be joining the air force. I'll be pretty much dedicating my life to it for a starting salary of around £17,500 for an aircraft technician. A pilot's starting salary is only about £35,000 - £40,000. Both salaries will rise quite quickly but it's the opportunities that come with it that make some jobs more interesting and generally better than others. I'd accept £17,500 every time rather than £40,000 in the civilian world. Depends on the person and what the job/career is, really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iearn£40k)
    Depends, I have 2- one is rented and one I live in.

what do you mean by good? How much are you looking to borrow and how big a deposit do you have? Go to moneysupermarket.com or google mortgage search and input the figures.
    well where i live average flat price for one bedroom is about 100k btw i wasn't suggesting i was looking for any i cant afford at all

ReputationRep:
    My household income's about £15K and has been for ages. We're still living comfortably, but I'm now the only sibling that's living at home with my parents and will be moving this year to uni. £40K seems like so much! I'd be happy to be honest, if I earned that much in 20-30 years
    Obviously circumstances will change but if you asked me right now, I'd say I would be happy with that amount.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iearn£40k)
    I feel sorry for you students. Supposed to be the nations brightest and yet couldn't see the writing on the wall- Things that are rare are prized, the more common something is the less alluring or worthwhile having.

I was 16 when Blair announced Uni would no longer be free- I had pensioner parents and thought sod that- joined the Forces. 10 years later (after visiting many Caribbean islands, Middle East coutries and seeing Afghanistan) I left with a Foundation Degree in Engineering that was free (no loan) whilst being paid over £20k to study, after which gradually went upto £33K with almost Zero outgoings. Waltzed right into my pick of two £40k job offers in the middle of the recession.

Fortunately, at 16, I saw my older brother and cousins doing nothing with their 2:2 drinkers degrees. That piece of paper that would have cost me £££s, saddled me with debt, a left me with a CV no different from thousands of others. Had a look at doing a Masters as I got a couple of mortgages to pay and would like to boost my earnings, but they all llok like money making gimmicks. Blair realised the bulk of our education system can't compete with overseas. Like our manufacturing industry, all Britain has is historic prestige so it was best to milk the cash-cow for what it is worth.
    Curious why you brought a five year old thread back from the dead but hey ho.

What are you on now - over 50k?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Old thread, locked.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.