Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Would you say 40k a year is a good salary? What salary would you be happy with? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'd be very very very happy with that.

ReputationRep:
    My dad earns about 5 times that, so I would be thoroughly depressed.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be over the moon with that.

All of you ***** who "won't be happy with 40k as a peak" are pretty much doomed to be miserable all your lives. There's no way in hell you'll make anything higher, especially if you're really thick like some (not all) of you guys in here..

I've actually noticed the those who a more knowledgable are aiming for realisitic salaries, whereas those without a clue are aiming for more than they'll ever be able to make.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hippysnake)
    --

i love you hippysnakeyyy :hugs: :p:

ReputationRep:
    Well obviously it's a good salary, who's going to deny that? It's more than enough for one person. Personally I would be happy earning anywhere between 15-25k, but then it depends on the job I have.

ReputationRep:
    I hope so! Thats my ultimate target salary. If I get that in my life I'll be happy. Even at 35k. I'll be going into teaching so may take me awhile to get there though :p:

ReputationRep:

All of you ***** who "won't be happy with 40k as a peak" are pretty much doomed to be miserable all your lives. There's no way in hell you'll make anything higher, especially if you're really thick like some (not all) of you guys in here..

I've actually noticed the those who a more knowledgable are aiming for realisitic salaries, whereas those without a clue are aiming for more than they'll ever be able to make.
    Agreed. After University I was expecting something like 20 K (if that). So 40 K seems pretty good unless you all have really expensive taste or something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrinnyUnlimited)
    There are a lot of people saying 40K isn't a good salary on this thread, despite it being well over the national average of 20-25K.
    40K is more than enough for any single person to live comfortably off of.

The OP said "would you say 40K a year is a good salary?" the answer to that is yes. For an individual, 40K is well over the national average.

If the question was "can an average, 2.4 children family live off of 40K?" then your argument may have had a point.
    But they didn't specify a context at all. If you're single, it's a really good salary. If you're under the above circumstances, it's not. Thus the answer is not simply "yes", because we don't know under what circumstance the OP was asking.

ReputationRep:
    Considering my current household income (living with parents) is about 18k - I'd be over't moon to get paid that.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I'd be more than happy with that

ReputationRep:
    That's about my total househould income.

There's my mum, my step-dad and 5 children (well 4 living at home) &, although we couldn't afford the luxury of a private education, we live quite comfortably

We've never really had to struggle for money & have never gone without so, yes, I do think it's quite a good salary - especially for 1 person.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that would be excellent :ta:

ReputationRep:
    40k is good for the uk, but varies considerably depending where you live. For example Im moving to los angeles next year and therefore it would be classed as incredibly AVERAGE!
    for most of us on here 20k would be a nice starting point, but if you are thinking in 10 years time then 40k is about average for people who have decent grades etc and have a good job.
    Im really badly looking for money for the step up in life so if you would like to help me and make large amounts of cash for yourself please read my signature.

ReputationRep:
    To what extent do you agree with the statement below?

To earn a six figure salary in general it takes a long time, one needs to be academically capable enough, gain experience over the years, then aquire managerial roles and then reach it. But you would have to work very hard, which will be very stressful, you have to demonstrate good leadership quality and be highly responsible. :cool:

Could you ever aquire these qualities and get to this stage? would you ever want
    to?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, in most professions I'd imagine.

Obviously dodgy jobs like pimp, dealer, high class prostitute might make monies too though :teeth:

ReputationRep:

I'll join in the love :hug:

ReputationRep:
    At this moment in time I'd love to be earning about £15k!!

I think £40K is a damn good salary.

ReputationRep:
    Of course that's a good salary

Anyone saying that it's not a good salary clearly has a skewed view of the world

ReputationRep:
    Generalisation, but yes.

ReputationRep:
    I have to laugh at all the people on here saying "It isn't enough to keep me in the lifestyle to which I have become accustomed", and similar crap. These people obviously have no idea how difficult it is to make money and they are in for a rude awakening when the only job offers that they can get for the first year or two after uni are paying 20k or less. Thinking that you will swan out of uni and within a few years be making 100k or more is seriously deluded. Same for the people saying they won't be happy with 80k/100k/150k or whatever: come back to this thread in ten years time and tell us how you're all doing.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.