Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you say 40k a year is a good salary? What salary would you be happy with? watch

• CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Generally, yes.

ReputationRep:
    Academically capable? Look at professional athletes, singers and actors. I'm sure not all of them are academically capable.

ReputationRep:
    Or win the apprentice :dontknow:?

ReputationRep:
    I hope so.

ReputationRep:
    I would add in 'being lucky' as a general attribute as well as perhaps being a 'kiss-arse'.

ReputationRep:
    citylawyer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randomgirl)
    Yeah, in most professions I'd imagine.

Obviously dodgy jobs like pimp, dealer, high class prostitute might make monies too though :teeth:
    :rofl:

I was waiting for something like this!

I tried to resist not to laugh but your wording forced me to! :p:

Also, you are missing rapper.

I don't 50 cent has an MBBS or MEng or anything of that nature. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Self Preservation Society)
    I have to laugh at all the people on here saying "It isn't enough to keep me in the lifestyle to which I have become accustomed", and similar crap. These people obviously have no idea how difficult it is to make money and they are in for a rude awakening when the only job offers that they can get for the first year or two after uni are paying 20k or less. Thinking that you will swan out of uni and within a few years be making 100k or more is seriously deluded. Same for the people saying they won't be happy with 80k/100k/150k or whatever: come back to this thread in ten years time and tell us how you're all doing.
    I agree. So many here are deluded, naive and ignorant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by khalaf)
    Or win the apprentice :dontknow:?
    But they do have most/all of the above qualities.

If you said win X-factor or big brother on the other hand! :p:

ReputationRep:
    50 cent got his PhD in philosophy, yo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paul McGann)
    To what extent do you agree with the statement below?

To earn a six figure salary in general it takes a long time, one needs to be academically capable enough, gain experience over the years, then aquire managerial roles and then reach it. But you would have to work very hard, which will be very stressful, you have to demonstrate good leadership quality and be highly responsible. :cool:

Could you ever aquire these qualities and get to this stage? would you ever want
    to?

I think experience is the key.

ReputationRep:
    Actually a guy who used to attend my school left at 16 to work for his dad, who has a carpentry business, the guy is 18 now and now earns 50k a year and will earn much more when he takes over the family business!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meskell)
    I would add in 'being lucky' as a general attribute as well as perhaps being a 'kiss-arse'.
    This

ReputationRep:
    In my current situation I'd probably be happy with that. But I'd like to be able to afford a cleaner once a week when I have children and some other "unnecessary things", so I'd be happier with something around 80-90k. Tbh that's all dreams though. I might never earn more than 25k, who knows?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IGX_RSV2)
    NO! Being well connected and going to a good public school seems to be the key:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    You aren't your salary. There are more important things in life. People - especially people who aren't even in uni yet - who whitter on about salaries and that are the most mind-numbingly dull people you could imagine.

You're not getting anything near that until years after you get out of university anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IGX_RSV2)
    I think that is the right note to hit, if your comfortable and confident in what you do, you would have to have good experience in the field, so yes it is the key.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to earn more than that at the top of my career, to be frank (10-20 years down the line, I'm saying). I'd like to earn £50-£100k a year.

However, if someone offered me that coming out of uni, I'd definitely take it! Unfortunately I'm going to have to settle for a £10-15k salary at first .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lrkn)
    You aren't your salary. There are more important things in life. People - especially people who aren't even in uni yet - who whitter on about salaries and that are the most mind-numbingly dull people you could imagine.

You're not getting anything near that until years after you get out of university anyway.
    what about when i do my degree in pharmacy then I'll be able to jump into 40-50k straight away??

ReputationRep:
    I'd be happy. Not ecstatic but happy

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.