Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you say 40k a year is a good salary? What salary would you be happy with? Watch

ReputationRep:
    No. Many people get there through instinct and luck...I say many....
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    If you're earning 43k then you're in the top 10% of earners in Britain. So yes, quite obviously it's a good salary.

ReputationRep:
    its gonna sound greedy, but at the peak of my career I would hope to be making 100k plus in real terms. I look at people who earn that much and yearn to be like them.

ReputationRep:
    I want 55k-60k. Well thats before tax. I think that is acheiveable with the job I am aiming for. Tbh though, I just want enough for me to live happily with a family. And able to go abroad each summer for holiday's

ReputationRep:
    you dont need to gain lots of experience over the years and enter a managerial role, if you go into investment banking, and its really quite easy to earn a 6 figure salary if your doing that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paul McGann)
    what about when i do my degree in pharmacy then I'll be able to jump into 40-50k straight away??

ReputationRep:
    I disagree. Generally, if you're good at what you do, regardless of anything else you'll be successful.

ReputationRep:
    A few lucky breaks is all it takes, my quite low achieving uncle left school entered IBM at a very junior level and has somehow managed to work his way up to a six figure salary. I wouldn't say his especially talented, knowing the right people also helps.

ReputationRep:
    You don't need an education to make monies.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    At the top of my career definetly not hopefully 4X that, id like to be on somewhere near that when i start/ few years in (hopefully with Msc in Economics), id be surprised if a graduate was happy with 40k at the hieght of their carreer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrinnyUnlimited)
    Good lord, all you people who seem to think 40K isn't worth getting out of bed for are in for a real shock when you enter the real world.
    Thank you for an injection of common sense and reality to some of the posters in this thread who think £40,000 a year is just mediocre!

ReputationRep:
    It is reasonable after a few years at work (maybe 5 years experience). But if you live in London, and plan to have a family and your own house at some point it is not enough. I am aiming for something higher.

ReputationRep:
    Well it depends, my dad went to a really poor school where the A-level teacher asked him to remind her how to do some problems before she taught them to another class. He then went to Nottingham and work really hard at PWC and became a Partner at 32 earning well past a six figure salary i've heard.

BUT he was only really good at Maths and if he was born now, he would struggle because you have to be good all round to do well in this education system. So i would say that some of the current big earners would not be earning nearly as much in this system

ReputationRep:
    With what I want to do (classic car sale and restorations and arrive and drive packages) I'd be estatically happy to get £40K p/a profit and thats between me and my partner!

You can live very comfortably on a household income of £40K p/a I'd rather be happy in what I did than how much I earnt.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    It's not really possible in my industry (except for in a very few exceptional cases), so I'm not expecting it. If I could do it in a job I enjoy, then yes, obviously.

ReputationRep:
    I think I have what it takes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paul McGann)
    Actually a guy who used to attend my school left at 16 to work for his dad, who has a carpentry business, the guy is 18 now and now earns 50k a year and will earn much more when he takes over the family business!!!
    thats because of his Dad not really down to his skill :rolleyes: and not really representative of what chances most people get.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by crema)
    But if you live in London, and plan to have a family and your own house at some point it is not enough.
    Do you not think that is a bit presumptuous, considering that most families in London live on much less?

no, won't be happy unless i'm a millionaire, and my business is doing pretty well atm as it is.

see you on the otherside *****s.

(Original post by Porscha!)
    With what I want to do (classic car sale and restorations and arrive and drive packages) I'd be estatically happy to get £40K p/a profit and thats between me and my partner!

You can live very comfortably on a household income of £40K p/a I'd rather be happy in what I did than how much I earnt.
    Sick porsche, how the **** you insure that lol? :woo:

ReputationRep:
    I'd be happy with that. No kids, will hopefully live in a small town/city, so yeah.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.