Turn on thread page Beta

Would you say 40k a year is a good salary? What salary would you be happy with? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Self Preservation Society)
    I have to laugh at all the people on here saying "It isn't enough to keep me in the lifestyle to which I have become accustomed", and similar crap. These people obviously have no idea how difficult it is to make money and they are in for a rude awakening when the only job offers that they can get for the first year or two after uni are paying 20k or less. Thinking that you will swan out of uni and within a few years be making 100k or more is seriously deluded. Same for the people saying they won't be happy with 80k/100k/150k or whatever: come back to this thread in ten years time and tell us how you're all doing.
    Lol, very good post.

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna be a "Investment Doctor", which is a doctor that gives medical treatment to the stock market. I expect £300,000 starting with a bonus of £300-400

ReputationRep:
    For most people it is a very good salary, but for me, I'd want to be earning at least 100k to live the lifestyle I want, but I don't want to be employed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    Do you not think that is a bit presumptuous, considering that most families in London live on much less?
    Exactly this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by falls_whisper)
    Yes. I'd be waaaaaaaay too happy with that amount, in fact, it might even scare me

To be honest, I'll be content with 20k+ and would be very very happy with 30k
    I feel exactly the same

ReputationRep:
    I would be extremely happy with 40k a year, yes please :yes:

ReputationRep:
    It would be good enough whilst I was still in my 20s and single. I want to be earning more than that by time I have settled down.

ReputationRep:
    40K is easily enough for a comfortable lifestyle. As long as I enjoy my job and can afford to live comfortably without fear of money troubles then I'll be happy. If all goes to plan with my career path I should be earning the equivalent of 40k (considering added inflation over the years) at some point in my career but at the same time I don't think I could possibly be as blase about it as some people are here.

ReputationRep:
    40k = very nice indeed.

But then again having to support myself won't require 40k. 20 will do nicely. And if/when (mainly if) I do the marriage/kids thing, 2 incomes of around 30k will be just fine yes?

ReputationRep:
    I think it all depends on ur partner. if ure in a relationship with sum1 whos also earning that much then thats beautiful, but living in london with kids would put a strain on it, especially if ure single.

My mum earns £41,000 and we are comfortable, but we still have some money problems sometimes coz shes a single parent and we live in london.

It all depends really!

Im looking to earn 50K+ in my career, lets hope it happens!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitepearlbaby)
    But I'd like to be able to afford a cleaner once a week when I have children
    Cleaning and ironing...completely necessary when you have kids. My OH earns over £40k, and with 3 kids and mort trust me there is littlte left. So once i graduate believe me i will be paying for a cleaner and ironer once a week!!!!!!!
    :woo: :woo: :woo:

ReputationRep:
    many people in here must either live out of london, or not understand how little 20K really is if your going to have a mortgage in london. there'd b a considerable struggle to make ends meet every month
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by pinki_13)
    many people in here must either live out of london, or not understand how little 20K really is if your going to have a mortgage in london. there'd b a considerable struggle to make ends meet every month
    So how do most people live?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I would say being in the top ten percent of earners in the country wasn't bad going. Even with a family in London you would do quite comfortably on that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Porscha!)
    With what I want to do (classic car sale and restorations and arrive and drive packages) I'd be estatically happy to get £40K p/a profit and thats between me and my partner!

You can live very comfortably on a household income of £40K p/a I'd rather be happy in what I did than how much I earnt.
    £40k between us would be pretty amazing, eh? Reccon if we were careful and put a bit away each year we'll get that Carrera RS in no time

Seriously, If we made £40k between us we'd be a LOT more than comfortable. Not that we need money to be happy, eh?

ReputationRep:
    I think it is a pretty good salary. If that's how much your partner was earning too then that's more that enough to live comfortably. Of course, it depends on where you are living and how many kids you have and whether you like having flashy things such as expensive cars.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    £40k between us would be pretty amazing, eh? Reccon if we were careful and put a bit away each year we'll get that Carrera RS in no time

Seriously, If we made £40k between us we'd be a LOT more than comfortable. Not that we need money to be happy, eh?
    :woo: :yes: *fingers crossed* You mean a full sized one this time?

No we don't need money to be happy and neither does anyone else, if you need to have lots and lots of money rather than just want it you have the wrong idea of what life should be about in the first place - being happy

ReputationRep:
    starting salary for magic circle law firms is around that so as a starting salary it is oe of th ebest around but I suppose it depends on your age/social status as what you consider a 'good' salary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roberto_Ferrari)
    My dad earns about 5 times that, so I would be thoroughly depressed.
    If I hadn't just used my rep up, I'd neg you.

ReputationRep:
    suprised at how many people DONT think its a gd salary! i would be more than happy wiv this an think any1 that earns it is lucky!! as people ave said already it is way above the national average. be grateful people not greedy!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.