Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

just wondering if anyone else is looking for approved housing as opposed to halls or private cluster flats? I'm a 1st year student who will be driving down with all my stuff (epic 6 hour drive -.-). Having a car means I need parking, which in turn means I need a house.

I've found some really nice houses and I'm coming down this weekend to view 5 or 6. I find it really odd however that some houses are still completely empty (6 rooms, 6 vacancies), which seems odd this close to September. Will these houses fill up before term starts, will I have ANY housemates? What's the deal with housing in Plymouth? It all seems so different from when I went to University in Durham, and I'd just like someone to give me a bit of an explanation!

Also, since having my application confirmed about a month ago, I've received NO information whatsoever from the University. This seems really odd, and rather disorganised to me, Plymouth is not making a good first impression! Anyone else feel the same way?

Thanks,
    --Saul.

ReputationRep:
    might start to full up more after the a-level results on the 20th ?

ReputationRep:
    You had more sense than me Rory Although I was wondering why, as I was in the beneficial position of having an unconditional offer and knowing that I didn't want to live in halls, the University hadn't written to me and said "Quick, run to Plymouth and steal a nice room in a nice house before the Freshers get in!". Which I did, but under my own steam, I've only just Today received some more literature from Plymouth, not saying much about how I should be looking for accommodation early if I know I'm not going to be staying in Halls, or not, heh.

Nice house, off-street parking, amazing kitchen, brand new furnishings, housemates of a similar age, couldn't be happy. Roll on September!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saulhardman)
    I was in the beneficial position of having an unconditional offer
    Lol saulhardman how did you get an unconditional?

I'm gonna probably look for Halls to be honest seeing as though it's a really good place to meet new people who are a similar age to you and basically get some help with general things if you need it.
    Also, all the halls at Plymouth are basically right next to the university so you don't have to walk/cycle/drive/commute generally to the university every day which could become costly if you are driving/whatever.
    The only bad things I think is that there is no parking (or very little) so you are kind of better off getting a private house if you are wanting to bring a car.

Fio.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saulhardman)
    Hey guys,

just wondering if anyone else is looking for approved housing as opposed to halls or private cluster flats? I'm a 1st year student who will be driving down with all my stuff (epic 6 hour drive -.-). Having a car means I need parking, which in turn means I need a house.

I've found some really nice houses and I'm coming down this weekend to view 5 or 6. I find it really odd however that some houses are still completely empty (6 rooms, 6 vacancies), which seems odd this close to September. Will these houses fill up before term starts, will I have ANY housemates? What's the deal with housing in Plymouth? It all seems so different from when I went to University in Durham, and I'd just like someone to give me a bit of an explanation!

Also, since having my application confirmed about a month ago, I've received NO information whatsoever from the University. This seems really odd, and rather disorganised to me, Plymouth is not making a good first impression! Anyone else feel the same way?

Thanks,
    --Saul.
    Hey, I'm a Spanish student, I'm gonna be there for the first semester with other girl and a boy from my faculty here. We're looking for house too. We want something near uni and not a very dangerous place (obviously), if you let a house and have rooms left or know someone with three rooms available, please, let me know (if you want to, of course!).

Thanks!

Maria

ReputationRep:
    im going to pop down to plymouth next week. i only just found out that i havent been assigned a place in halls and have to find alternative housing. this could be interesting. found some reli nice ones. just gotta see them in person. if anyone knows of any good ones. please tell me ... even better if i could stay with some fellow BA geographers

ReputationRep:
    Ah I'm doing Geography BSc and only got in through clearing today...no spaces in halls so got to look for shared housing! This whole process is crazy..definitely want to share a house with fellow freshers though, not older years! x

ReputationRep:
    Well done for necro posting, this thread is from 2009, check the dates next time

ReputationRep:
    Can easily happen especially when you come here through Google. Still gotta check those dates mind!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Plymouth University resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.