Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    On all the threads about what to wear at uni everyone seems to say wear what you are comfortable in. For me i like a pair of tracksuit bottoms and a t-shirt or maybe a hoodie and if im not going out anywhere special a pair of trainers.

If someone was to wear these types of clothes at uni would they get known as 'the chav'?

ReputationRep:
    LOL this and for the record OP I think anyone who regularly wears sportswear when they don't intend on playing any sport is a bit chavvy. If you feel comfortable though it doesn't matter what I or anybody else thinks.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, your a chav congrats.

ReputationRep:
    lol it doesnt bother me if people think im a chav or not i just like to know how other people define a chav. Just because chavs scare you and take your phone you take the piss out of them in a forum. ROFLCOPTER

ReputationRep:
    Chav isnt about the clothes, its the personlaity that goes with it too... the 'speak' and mannerisms...
    so on clothes alone, id think you were a sports student =D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by just say hello)
    On all the threads about what to wear at uni everyone seems to say wear what you are comfortable in. For me i like a pair of tracksuit bottoms and a t-shirt or maybe a hoodie and if im not going out anywhere special a pair of trainers.

If someone was to wear these types of clothes at uni would they get known as 'the chav'?
    wear what you are comfortable in, some people turn up to lecturs in tracksuit bottoms or jeans, some in shorts, your not on a fashion show :p:
    some people will turn up looking like they have just rolled out of bed, which they would have, i wear t-shirts and hoodie in uni, cos well i like them and well comfortable in them, a chav is a bit more then the cloths they wear

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with your clothes, OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Codeine Addict)
    And you're illiterate. 'Commis'.

ReputationRep:
    Simply switching the trackies for some jeans would solve your problem pretty quickly

ReputationRep:
    If you really want to wear sportswear, then at the very least wear a rugby top, join the rugger team and learn how to drink a yard without puking. I am sure that you will be able to manage the transition from 'chav' to 'rugger player' with only the minimum effort, as after all the only real difference tends to be that chavs do their fighting whilst drunk, whilst rugby players do their drinking after fighting*...

*Lets be honest, rugby matches are just basically one big fight that happens to have a set of rules and a ball involved...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by just say hello)

I would'nt think your a chav. Tracksuit bottoms and hoodies are just comfortable clothes and if thats what you normally wear, i don't see why you should have to change your style for uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Codeine Addict)
    No, you're a chav

ReputationRep:
    Tracksuit bottoms and a hoody might look a bit stereotypically 'chav'. But I wouldn't think someone in a hoody and jeans was a chav, or tracksuit bottoms and a T-Shirt, etc.

Though don't worry what anyone thinks if that's what you want to wear. You wouldn't be 'THE chav', I'm sure there are plenty who wear those things. :P

ReputationRep:
    Wear whatever you damn well want to wear. If anyone accuses you of being a chav, head-butt them.

ReputationRep:
    defining somebody negatively as a chav by clothes/accent/mannerisms is simply neo classism.

its usually dull minded middle class kids or their equally dim witted parents unable to fathom how poor people can have a culture of their own, that is distinct from that of the middle classes.

hopefully u get in a good uni where no amount of pushy parenting is an adequate substitute for intellect and talent, where no1 really cares what ur wearing or where ur from.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, this depends if you want to project a certain image to other people. If you want to project a "chav" image, wear the trackies and trainers. If you want to project a "goth" or "alternative" image, wear black, get dreads, do whatever.

If you don't care what you look like to other people, wear whatever is comfortable. It all depends which you put first - comfort or image. Unlike school or sixth form, at uni, you'll find most people opt for comfort, specially in the mornings. Usually a university hoodie is my standard hangover, comfy outfit for winter lectures. But sometimes you even find some campus-dwelling first years in their pyjamas or whatever they wore in bed, especially if it's an early start! : )

ReputationRep:
    I say wear what ever you like - for crying out loud there are girls out there that turn up in their pj bottoms (and think they are really cool for doing so). As in, they weren't wearing them in bed -they have pyjama bottoms they ONLY wear to lectures!!! COME ON!!!!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.