Turn on thread page Beta

in desparate need of some advice... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    right i'm going to start my third year of university next month, studying economics and i really dont know what to do afterwards. I tried to get some work experience over the summer but after sending out countless number of cvs to banks, investment banks, stock brokers etc but nothing came of it apart from rejection emails. Therefore i have next to nothing in the way of work experience on my cv which is worrying. I plan to do some travelling when i graduate uni but should i still look for jobs or should i wait until i get back? ahll i still try and get some work experience before then nd if so how/when? also i didn't do that well last year and only managed to get a 2:2 but i am determined to work hard and graduate next year with a 2:1, but would this hinder any applications i do before i graduate?

thanks in advance for any advice, it's very much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chris_fc)
    right i'm going to start my third year of university next month, studying economics and i really dont know what to do afterwards. I tried to get some work experience over the summer but after sending out countless number of cvs to banks, investment banks, stock brokers etc but nothing came of it apart from rejection emails. Therefore i have next to nothing in the way of work experience on my cv which is worrying. I plan to do some travelling when i graduate uni but should i still look for jobs or should i wait until i get back? ahll i still try and get some work experience before then nd if so how/when? also i didn't do that well last year and only managed to get a 2:2 but i am determined to work hard and graduate next year with a 2:1, but would this hinder any applications i do before i graduate?

you dug yourself in a pretty big hole with the 2.2 and on top of that you havent managed to get work experience. Safe to say you should def look outside of banking.

ReputationRep:

Hey mate, where abouts are you studying Economics? This makes a huge difference. If you're not at a top 10 university then it's going to be tough anyway, however given the lack of relevant experience on your CV you could be in even more trouble in terms of landing a job in Banking. What sorts of extracurricular things do you have on your CV? If you've not got the work exp you can make up for it to some extent by getting involved in loads of things like a Finance Society, or by holding an executive position such as President or Treasurer of a society.

The poor results are going to hold you back too, as many banks at least expect to see your individual module marks for university. With this in mind, you could be in a bit of a tricky situation as banks may not back you to get a 2.1. Have you considered studying for a Masters? I noticed you wanted to spend a year abroad, but in this climate can you really afford to have such a glaring gap on your CV? The fact that you've not got much going on the CV can also be made up by gaining extra qualifications such as an MSc. Worst case scenario, do a Masters then take a year out, learn a language maybe - at least then it won't look as though you took your foot off the gas for a year before applying for jobs. Also, if you do poorly at undergrad a distinction at MSc level from a top university can cover it up to some extent.

In terms of where to go from here, get yourself any kind of experience you can, cold call every small firm you can - asset managers, banks, stockbrokers, consultancies, do it for free if you have to, just get your foot in the door and start building contacts. Talking of which, get yourself to careers presentations if the Banks come to your particular campus - good chance to network and who knows, there may be somebody about who can talk to you about your predicament.

Hope this helps, feel free to PM me if you need any more advice.

ReputationRep:
    Go learn mandarin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    Hey mate, where abouts are you studying Economics? This makes a huge difference. If you're not at a top 10 university then it's going to be tough anyway, however given the lack of relevant experience on your CV you could be in even more trouble in terms of landing a job in Banking. What sorts of extracurricular things do you have on your CV? If you've not got the work exp you can make up for it to some extent by getting involved in loads of things like a Finance Society, or by holding an executive position such as President or Treasurer of a society.

The poor results are going to hold you back too, as many banks at least expect to see your individual module marks for university. With this in mind, you could be in a bit of a tricky situation as banks may not back you to get a 2.1. Have you considered studying for a Masters?
    Even if he was at a top ten, had a 2.2 and was pres of some society his chances would be very very very small. To get past the initial screening with a 2.2 is difficult cuz u have to shine in other areas and even if you do get past the screening, he will be up against way too many candidates who have 1/2.1 top ten, great ec's and work experience.

But loggins is right, the Masters does seem to be the only route that might be feasible.

ReputationRep:
    Master for sure, and start looking for internships for next summer right now!

ReputationRep:

Try the supermarkets, carry on working hard, make damn sure you get your 2.1 or better a 1st. and persist with applications

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by texex)
    Even if he was at a top ten, had a 2.2 and was pres of some society his chances would be very very very small. To get past the initial screening with a 2.2 is difficult cuz u have to shine in other areas and even if you do get past the screening, he will be up against way too many candidates who have 1/2.1 top ten, great ec's and work experience.

But loggins is right, the Masters does seem to be the only route that might be feasible.
    He hasn't graduated yet, was the impression I had. He says he can pull it up to a 2.1...

ReputationRep:
    lie about your grades on the application form

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ideal)
    lie about your grades on the application form
    If this is in earnest then it's very poor advice. Don't lie on about grades, ever. Imagine if you lied on an internship application, did an 8-10 week stint, then when they asked for your transcript they found you out?! They'd blacklist you for sure, and I daresay different banks' HR departments talk - wouldn't be too hard to fire an email around the City, especially if they're pissed off at a timewaster..

ReputationRep:
    ok...lets say that did happen....they 'black listed' you

wd that be for that firm....wd they pass it on to others...how wd it be implemented etc

its easy to change email and address to uni address etc

if you get the experience and impress maybe they wd overlook it....maybe someone wd understan why u lied

maybe u wd be ******...i dnt know

just a suggestion...but l;oggins is right...if avoided, don't lie.

although they never checked my grades for my internship...for all they know i haven't even done A-levels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ideal)
    ok...lets say that did happen....they 'black listed' you

wd that be for that firm....wd they pass it on to others...how wd it be implemented etc

its easy to change email and address to uni address etc

if you get the experience and impress maybe they wd overlook it....maybe someone wd understan why u lied

maybe u wd be ******...i dnt know

just a suggestion...but l;oggins is right...if avoided, don't lie.

although they never checked my grades for my internship...for all they know i haven't even done A-levels
    They'd blacklist you, yes, and they would definitely not overlook it. 10 weeks of work would be erased if they found out you were a liar. If they were pissed off enough, I wouldn't be surprised if they did send an email around warning other banks. So what if you change your email address, it's still you, same name.

Never lie about grades.

ReputationRep:
    i'm not at a top 10 uni, its about top 20 but only about top30 for economics. i am hoping to come out with a 2:1 which i know is achievable for me. iv never really considered a masters before but now i think im going to do one and it will also allow me to do an area which interests me more so im going to research into that. thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:
    i'm not at a top 10 uni, its about top 20 but only about top30 for economics. i am hoping to come out with a 2:1 which i know is achievable for me. iv never really considered a masters before but now i think im going to do one and it will also allow me to do an area which interests me more so im going to research into that. thanks for the advice
    Just a heads up, a lot of top masters want firsts (ie Oxbridge/LSE)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by texex)
    Just a heads up, a lot of top masters want firsts (ie Oxbridge/LSE)
    do you know what other places are highly regarded for masters?

ReputationRep:
    do you know what other places are highly regarded for masters?
    Have a look at Warwick/Imperial/Cranfield/Nottingham/Durham/Aston/Edinburgh/St Andrews.

Warwick and Imperial are considerably better than the others I've listed - for an MSc in Finance/Management anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flugestuge)
    The OP should learn English first.
    Textspeak is so irritating.
    Thx, prude!

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.