Turn on thread page Beta

To those of you who met your partner online, do you tell friends/family the truth? watch

I was wondering if people are ashamed if they met their boyfriend or girlfriend on a dating website, and if they tell people the truth. A friend of mine met her boyfriend online and if people ask she tells them she met him in a club because she's embarrased about looking like a loser. If you found out someone you knew met there partner online, would you assume they have no social skills or no life? I personally don't think it's that embarrasing, but I can see where these people are coming from.

ReputationRep:
    yep ive told them. im not ashamed of the fact that we met in an online dating chatroom. we've been together six months now

ReputationRep:
    Can't see the problem personally, I didn't even meet my girlfriend on a dating website, but an online game. We've been going out for a few months and I honestly don't see the problem in finding someone through the internet.

Whats to be embarassed by really?

ReputationRep:
    I've told all my friends just like he's told his, just not our parents. They're old fashioned and wouldn't understand how it works let alone that its a real relationship. I'm not embarrassed by it. All my friends think it's cool.

ReputationRep:
    so your 'friend' met her boyfriend online did she?

(Original post by Wastrel)
    Can't see the problem personally, I didn't even meet my girlfriend on a dating website, but an online game. We've been going out for a few months and I honestly don't see the problem in finding someone through the internet.

oh dear

ReputationRep:
    I think in the modern times nowadays with such a high reliance on interenet and technology in our lives, theres definately becoming a social acceptance for finding most things on the internet even partners. Dont really think its much of an issue anymore. Give it 2/3 more years it'll just be another one of those things. Like telling people who go clubbing in 4/5 years that back in 'our day' you could smoke in clubs lol

ReputationRep:
    All my friends know, but not my mum. She finds the internet a bit odd and thinks everyone on there are freaks, and would continue to think that despite the fact she likes my boyfriend and we've been together over a year now :p:

ReputationRep:
    If my girlfriend told her parents she met me online or on TSR, her parents would say something like:

Girlfriend: I met this guy on TSR (she didn't really but I'm using this as an Internet example)

Parents: TSR? Tu Sali Rundi
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "You bloody whore"

Girlfriend: :lolwut:

Parents: Just go find a Doctor from Bombay!

Girlfriend: :getmecoat:

Parents: :mmm: we win!

*I walk in*

Parents: Who the bloody hell are you?

Me: Mujko pechaan lo, main hoon Don!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "Recognise me, I am Don!"

Parents: Oh, chup kar!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "Oh shut up!"

Me: *Expeliarmus* :shoot:

Me & Girlfriend: :five: :lovehug:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wastrel)

WoW?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *MJ*)
    If my girlfriend told her parents she met me online or on TSR, her parents would say something like:

Girlfriend: I met this guy on TSR (she didn't really but I'm using this as an Internet example)

Parents: TSR? Tu Sali Rundi
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "You bloody whore"

Girlfriend: :lolwut:

Parents: Just go find a Doctor from Bombay!

Girlfriend: :getmecoat:

Parents: :mmm: we win!

*I walk in*

Parents: Who the bloody hell are you?

Me: Mujko pechaan lo, main hoon Don!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "Recognise me, I am Don!"

Parents: Oh, chup kar!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "Oh shut up!"

Me: *Expeliarmus* :shoot:

Me & Girlfriend: :five: :lovehug:
    I feel like im missing something here...cos i really dont understand that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by member101)
    WoW?
    :rofl:

Damn beaten to it! :p:

I told my friends the truth and convinced them it wasn't that embarrassing, but told my family we were mutual friends.

I have a feeling I'll be meeting a future partner online, though, so will tell my parents one day... if they're ever open the idea of the internet being a decent way to find people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sami2412)
    I feel like im missing something here...cos i really dont understand that...
    The definitions are in the spoilers.

Basically, it's Asian parents.

Most of the time, they choose your partner not some online dating or WoW.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I was wondering if people are ashamed if they met their boyfriend or girlfriend on a dating website, and if they tell people the truth. A friend of mine met her boyfriend online and if people ask she tells them she met him in a club because she's embarrased about looking like a loser. If you found out someone you knew met there partner online, would you assume they have no social skills or no life? I personally don't think it's that embarrasing, but I can see where these people are coming from.
    Personally I think it is a bit sad but I guess so many people have found their partners online now that it's not as embarassing maybe. I have a friend who found her husband online. He's from america and she has 2 kids with him now. They're moving in about a months time to live in America and she is extremely happy. He's from a well off family, shes got herself a great job there and a lovely house. So I guess it shouldn't put people off but personally I wouldn't want to find someone off the internet. I'd rather be alone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *MJ*)

ohhhh! got it! thanks :P:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *MJ*)

WoW is choosing my partner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by member101)
    WoW is choosing my partner.
    I don't have anything against it.

I'm just saying make sure you know them pretty well, etc because how do you know it will work out?

But good luck anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think it is a bit sad but I guess so many people have found their partners online now that it's not as embarassing maybe. I have a friend who found her husband online. He's from america and she has 2 kids with him now. They're moving in about a months time to live in America and she is extremely happy. He's from a well off family, shes got herself a great job there and a lovely house. So I guess it shouldn't put people off but personally
    I wouldn't want to find someone off the internet. I'd rather be alone
    Seriously you will rather be alone than meet a partner online:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Yep, it is,... thats why you think of an awesome way of meeting...

He resucitated me- a total hero, we went out 3 weeks later...

Or he saved from a bus crashing into me

Or something unusual.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 10, 2009
Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.