Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

To those of you who met your partner online, do you tell friends/family the truth? Watch

I was wondering if people are ashamed if they met their boyfriend or girlfriend on a dating website, and if they tell people the truth. A friend of mine met her boyfriend online and if people ask she tells them she met him in a club because she's embarrased about looking like a loser. If you found out someone you knew met there partner online, would you assume they have no social skills or no life? I personally don't think it's that embarrasing, but I can see where these people are coming from.

ReputationRep:
    yep ive told them. im not ashamed of the fact that we met in an online dating chatroom. we've been together six months now

ReputationRep:
    Can't see the problem personally, I didn't even meet my girlfriend on a dating website, but an online game. We've been going out for a few months and I honestly don't see the problem in finding someone through the internet.

Whats to be embarassed by really?

ReputationRep:
    I've told all my friends just like he's told his, just not our parents. They're old fashioned and wouldn't understand how it works let alone that its a real relationship. I'm not embarrassed by it. All my friends think it's cool.

ReputationRep:
    so your 'friend' met her boyfriend online did she?

(Original post by Wastrel)
    Can't see the problem personally, I didn't even meet my girlfriend on a dating website, but an online game. We've been going out for a few months and I honestly don't see the problem in finding someone through the internet.

oh dear

ReputationRep:
    I think in the modern times nowadays with such a high reliance on interenet and technology in our lives, theres definately becoming a social acceptance for finding most things on the internet even partners. Dont really think its much of an issue anymore. Give it 2/3 more years it'll just be another one of those things. Like telling people who go clubbing in 4/5 years that back in 'our day' you could smoke in clubs lol

ReputationRep:
    All my friends know, but not my mum. She finds the internet a bit odd and thinks everyone on there are freaks, and would continue to think that despite the fact she likes my boyfriend and we've been together over a year now :p:

ReputationRep:
    If my girlfriend told her parents she met me online or on TSR, her parents would say something like:

Girlfriend: I met this guy on TSR (she didn't really but I'm using this as an Internet example)

Parents: TSR? Tu Sali Rundi
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "You bloody whore"

Girlfriend: :lolwut:

Parents: Just go find a Doctor from Bombay!

Girlfriend: :getmecoat:

Parents: :mmm: we win!

*I walk in*

Parents: Who the bloody hell are you?

Me: Mujko pechaan lo, main hoon Don!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "Recognise me, I am Don!"

Parents: Oh, chup kar!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "Oh shut up!"

Me: *Expeliarmus* :shoot:

Me & Girlfriend: :five: :lovehug:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wastrel)

WoW?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *MJ*)
    If my girlfriend told her parents she met me online or on TSR, her parents would say something like:

Girlfriend: I met this guy on TSR (she didn't really but I'm using this as an Internet example)

Parents: TSR? Tu Sali Rundi
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "You bloody whore"

Girlfriend: :lolwut:

Parents: Just go find a Doctor from Bombay!

Girlfriend: :getmecoat:

Parents: :mmm: we win!

*I walk in*

Parents: Who the bloody hell are you?

Me: Mujko pechaan lo, main hoon Don!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "Recognise me, I am Don!"

Parents: Oh, chup kar!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "Oh shut up!"

Me: *Expeliarmus* :shoot:

Me & Girlfriend: :five: :lovehug:
    I feel like im missing something here...cos i really dont understand that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by member101)
    WoW?
    :rofl:

Damn beaten to it! :p:

I told my friends the truth and convinced them it wasn't that embarrassing, but told my family we were mutual friends.

I have a feeling I'll be meeting a future partner online, though, so will tell my parents one day... if they're ever open the idea of the internet being a decent way to find people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sami2412)
    I feel like im missing something here...cos i really dont understand that...
    The definitions are in the spoilers.

Basically, it's Asian parents.

Most of the time, they choose your partner not some online dating or WoW.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I was wondering if people are ashamed if they met their boyfriend or girlfriend on a dating website, and if they tell people the truth. A friend of mine met her boyfriend online and if people ask she tells them she met him in a club because she's embarrased about looking like a loser. If you found out someone you knew met there partner online, would you assume they have no social skills or no life? I personally don't think it's that embarrasing, but I can see where these people are coming from.
    Personally I think it is a bit sad but I guess so many people have found their partners online now that it's not as embarassing maybe. I have a friend who found her husband online. He's from america and she has 2 kids with him now. They're moving in about a months time to live in America and she is extremely happy. He's from a well off family, shes got herself a great job there and a lovely house. So I guess it shouldn't put people off but personally I wouldn't want to find someone off the internet. I'd rather be alone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *MJ*)

ohhhh! got it! thanks :P:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *MJ*)

WoW is choosing my partner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by member101)
    WoW is choosing my partner.
    I don't have anything against it.

I'm just saying make sure you know them pretty well, etc because how do you know it will work out?

But good luck anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think it is a bit sad but I guess so many people have found their partners online now that it's not as embarassing maybe. I have a friend who found her husband online. He's from america and she has 2 kids with him now. They're moving in about a months time to live in America and she is extremely happy. He's from a well off family, shes got herself a great job there and a lovely house. So I guess it shouldn't put people off but personally
    I wouldn't want to find someone off the internet. I'd rather be alone
    Seriously you will rather be alone than meet a partner online:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Yep, it is,... thats why you think of an awesome way of meeting...

He resucitated me- a total hero, we went out 3 weeks later...

Or he saved from a bus crashing into me

Or something unusual.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 10, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.