Turn on thread page Beta

To those of you who met your partner online, do you tell friends/family the truth? watch

ReputationRep:
    Is World of Warcraft really that much of a hotspot for lurve?

I might get on that.

God knows PlentyofFish wasn't much use.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lrkn)
    Is World of Warcraft really that much of a hotspot for lurve?

I might get on that.

God knows PlentyofFish wasn't much use.
    You never know, you might pull Yuffie >_<

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    You never know, you might pull Yuffie >_<
    I remember that name from incarnations past.

I'd enchant her special mount, fnar fnar.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I don't see what the issue is.

ReputationRep:
    If they are the right person then whats the problem. Imo, there are only so many "the one's" for each person, so by using the net you are stretching the amount of people. Saying that I think I would stick to meeting girls while out and about. Much less wierd

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't bother me, but I'm not going to be saying, 'Hi I'm Jess and this is X, WE MET ONLINE!!1111'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *MJ*)
    If my girlfriend told her parents she met me online or on TSR, her parents would say something like:

Girlfriend: I met this guy on TSR (she didn't really but I'm using this as an Internet example)

Parents: TSR? Tu Sali Rundi
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "You bloody whore"

Girlfriend: :lolwut:

Parents: Just go find a Doctor from Bombay!

Girlfriend: :getmecoat:

Parents: :mmm: we win!

*I walk in*

Parents: Who the bloody hell are you?

Me: Mujko pechaan lo, main hoon Don!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "Recognise me, I am Don!"

Parents: Oh, chup kar!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "Oh shut up!"

Me: *Expeliarmus* :shoot:

Me & Girlfriend: :five: :lovehug:
    hahaha

ReputationRep:
    I'd be a bit ashamed to admit it really.
    But in the end, it's not about how you met them. If you genuinely care about each other, that's great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *MJ*)
    The first line I can accept!

The second...

OMG!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I have an army of people who will be after you! Watch your back! :eek3:

Can't believe you just said that!!! :confused:

Do you not know about the pakora stuff on TSR? :eek:

Yeah, you better be scared! :p:
    :O
    NO WAI!

To be honest, I don't really know what they are. I just know that they smell. :P

ReputationRep:
    Yesss complete truth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by member101)
    WoW?

Nope, not even a similar type of game, hehe.

As for Mr. Anon's response, whats the difference between meeting someone on a dating website, and meeting someone on an online game? The actual link will be entirely the same, the fact that you weren't looking for it when you signed on is really an irrelevance.

(Original post by Wastrel)

As for Mr. Anon's response, whats the difference between meeting someone on a dating website, and meeting someone on an online game? The actual link will be entirely the same, the fact that you weren't looking for it when you signed on is really an irrelevance.
    I suppose you have a point, I stand corrected.

ReputationRep:
    My mum met her husband online. If anything she encouraged me to meet strangers off the internet, so I'm sure she can't really criticise. Meeting people off the internet now isn't the taboo it was even 4 or 5 years ago. It's no issue anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arctic_wombaT)
    so your 'friend' met her boyfriend online did she?
    lol

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I told everyone the truth. Though to be fair, I met my boyfriend through a (real life!!!) friend online. If it was WoW it'd be COMPLETELY different!

ReputationRep:
    see I don't think it's weird but just uncommon so I'm still like "huh, what?" I'd probably not say anything

It's no different from meeting people through facebook/myspace (it's the same thing) but i know two couples who hooked up through FB and nobody thinks anything of it.

ReputationRep:
    What is there to be ashamed of? Nothing really. No different to meeting someone random in a club you don't know and getting together. I have always been honest when people have asked and shared everything with my family, i think that fact we've been together 3 years now shows it's serious...lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wastrel)

it wasn't Habbo was it?

:indiff:

and OT: I haven't ever been in that situation nor do I plan to, but i'd probably feel a little embarrassed telling family - however my friends have hooked up with people they've talked to from random adds etc so I doubt they'd judge.

I wouldn't, but I guess they would find out somehow anyway and I would be ashamed of myself.
    I'd feel what is basically true - social retard, no social skills. Doesn't matter if friends know so much but parents might feel bad that they brought up someone who ended up this way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *MJ*)
    If my girlfriend told her parents she met me online or on TSR, her parents would say something like:

Girlfriend: I met this guy on TSR (she didn't really but I'm using this as an Internet example)

Parents: TSR? Tu Sali Rundi
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "You bloody whore"

Girlfriend: :lolwut:

Parents: Just go find a Doctor from Bombay!

Girlfriend: :getmecoat:

Parents: :mmm: we win!

*I walk in*

Parents: Who the bloody hell are you?

Me: Mujko pechaan lo, main hoon Don!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "Recognise me, I am Don!"

Parents: Oh, chup kar!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "Oh shut up!"

Me: *Expeliarmus* :shoot:

Me & Girlfriend: :five: :lovehug:
    haha i quite enjoyed reading that. some rep on your way.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 10, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.