Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

To those of you who met your partner online, do you tell friends/family the truth? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I met my last Gf online.

Told my mates thats how I met her, no point in lying.

Never really speak to my parents much.

ReputationRep:
    I told mine.

ReputationRep:
    I told mine too - kind of had to since me meeting him in real life for the first time involved flying to a foreign country :/
    They are incredibly oldfashioned and yet, surprisingly, they were perfectly fine with it. Told friends as well. I've got no shame in it. We didn't meet via a dating site - we met via a forum not entirely dissimilar to this one (just started private messaging each other and it grew from there), and frankly, I don't see the difference between that and pulling someone random in a nightclub (in fact, the last time I did that it turned out badly, so internet dating ftw!). We've been together now 4.5 years, living together for 11 months and engaged for 1 month now, so it can't be all bad

Saying all that, though, while I wouldn't criticise someone else for meeting someone via a dedicated dating website, it's not something I would do myself. Seems a little predatory maybe, and the vast majority of people will meet someone right for them in day-to-day life anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Love works in mysterious ways.

ReputationRep:
    I met my bf on facebook -__- . However we had quite a number of mutual friends in real life even before we met and we didn't get together until meeting up and getting to know each other as friends first.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 10, 2009
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.