Turn on thread page Beta

Has anyone here actually fell for a Ebay scam? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm just referencing the other thread at the moment.

I was a potential victim for this scam. Foreign bidder who soon de-registered. I got (fake) emails from "Ebay" and "Paypal" confirming payment. Then another email from "Ebay" threatening to remove my account if I didn't send payment.

Even though these emails were convincing aesthetically, I know it it was a scam. Has anyone ever fallen for them?

Tell your stories.

ReputationRep:
    I bought a gamecube on there, it never arrived, complained to paypal, got my money back

Nothing like that though

ReputationRep:
    Ouch. What kind of reputation do the sellers have?

ReputationRep:
    Nope, only friends of friends.

ReputationRep:
    no. im not a retard.

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who got scammed because basically the seller said their paypal wasn't working so they trusted them and ended up getting robbed for 300 quid. Thing is I was shocked when he said he couldn't do anything about it, wtf? surely if he has the guy's name and credit card number a lot can be done??

ReputationRep:
    A guy I know bought a picture of a PSP, thinking it was an actual PSP. Fool :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    I'm just referencing the other thread at the moment.

I was a potential victim for this scam. Foreign bidder who soon de-registered. I got (fake) emails from "Ebay" and "Paypal" confirming payment. Then another email from "Ebay" threatening to remove my account if I didn't send payment.

Even though these emails were convincing aesthetically, I know it it was a scam. Has anyone ever fallen for them?

Tell your stories.
    If eBay ever contacts you, you'll get it through your "My Messages" section.
    Otherwise you should forward the spoof emails to [email protected]

Also, always check payments complete on Paypal if you're selling, before you send the item.

ReputationRep:
    Well I nearly did until the fake paypal payment told me to ship the PSP to Nigeria lol

ReputationRep:
    I got the exact same emails from some Nigerians who wanted me to post the item to Nigeria :laugh:. They sent about 5 fake emails to me. After the fifth one I replied back saying that I would report them to "Fraud Regulations UK" (made that up) if they didnt stop. Havent heard from them since :banana:

ReputationRep:
    I've almost finished getting my money back from my credit card company after winning an auction for an iPod last December. I paid using PayPal (following all their links, etc. - and yes, they *were* from PayPal, I still have the emails), but the iPod never arrived. There were a number of other similar listings from the same seller (who had good feedback), and I contacted other winners who had the same experience.

When I filed (and won) a dispute through PayPal, it turned out that PayPal had managed to lose the association between my PayPal payment and the eBay item, so they wouldn't refund me under their Buyer Protection policy. I only managed to get 'stock' replies to emails I sent to them explaining the error that they had made; I even got Trading Standards on the case, following a referral from Consumer Direct, but PayPal wouldn't reply to them at all.

Needless to say, I'm just *a little* unimpressed with PayPal, but fortunately the Consumer Credit Act has come to my rescue!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosaaa)
    That's one of the most common ones! Happened to me last month when I sold my smartphone.
    Got sent fake emails, so forwarded them to eBay. Also, I specified UK & Europe posting only, and he wanted Nigeria! I basically told him where to go
    The paypal message looked so real lol

ReputationRep:
    Not ebay, but I lost a lot of money due to paypal.
    I'm not a foolish person either, I don't quite know how it happened but I closed the account and won't use it again.

ReputationRep:
    I had something similar to Nick_000, I tried to sell an Ipod on Ebay and the winning bidder emailed me to ask if I could send it to Africa or somewhere, meanwhile I get another email from someone else telling me the bidder is a scammer and has bid on 4 ipods in the past 10mins.

ReputationRep:
    I've never bought anything from Ebay worth more than £5.

ReputationRep:
    APPARENTLY someone bought an air guitar for £300 once..

ReputationRep:
    It wasnt so much a scam as I bought something that arrived broken and the seller refused to replace it or refund me. Paypal dispute soon settled the claim in my favour.

ReputationRep:
    Most transactions have been A-okay. Every now and again you get a dodgy seller.

e.g. bought a ''new'' top that arrived with a broken zip and stains. Messaged seller, got full refund, solved.

Once another item never arrived, seller deregistered on Ebay. Complained to paypal. Got money back, but not postage...grr..

Sometimes items arrive in a much worse condition than described. Sellers are usually helpful and refund or do a partial refund.

Majority have been fine tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littletinysmall)
    Yep, both. And the police. Basically, there's ******* I can do because, at the end of the day, I was a moron.

And trust me, I have learnt from my mistakes and am now seriously cautious. Lucky I'm not a material person, otherwise I would have gone crazy!
    What phone was it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littletinysmall)
    Samsung Tocco I think? touch screen with lots of fancy gadgets...gag
    If I ever go to Nigeria, I'll track that **** down for you :yes:

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.